2018 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

This will be a really tough call for the Vikes. The decision on the new OC is probably an even more important decision than the QB because ultimately, the QB they want to roll with should be the QB the new OC wants to roll with.

Cousins is a really good QB. Really good. Not elite. None of the Vikes QB’s are close to elite either though. Somebody is going to pay Cousins more than he’s worth; someone will pay Keenum more than he’s worth. Bridgewater and Bradford? Who knows. Bradford is likely by far the most talented of the 4 but just can’t stay on the field. If I knew Bradford could stay healthy and take every snap next season, the decision to me would be an easy one.

I’m not against signing Cousins, because he’s likely the most known and proven commodity among the group (at least the four we’re talking about). Yes, they would have to pay him more than he’s worth. Maybe way more than he’s worth.

I’m glad it’s not my call. I’d rather over pay for Drew Brees but I don’t see him leaving the Saints.

Can’t argue with a word you said. Great points.[emoji1531] You take on Bradford is the same as mine that’s why my preference is him and Teddy as a backup.

Would you consider Eli Manning? If Case goes there Eli could be available on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the QB situation one thing really bothers me looking back at this season. Zimmer's play off record. They kept showing the stat during the saints game that he is like 0-14 in the playoffs as a coordinator or HC and honestly it legit took a miracle (i don't believe in miracles this is PA's words) for him to get a playoff win and then just got completely creamed the next week. Had no answer, had no adjustments just straight pounded like Nassar will his first night in prison. I don't know if any personnel changes will make a difference at all...

Besides the QB situation one thing really bothers me looking back at this season. Zimmer's play off record. They kept showing the stat during the saints game that he is like 0-14 in the playoffs as a coordinator or HC and honestly it legit took a miracle (i don't believe in miracles this is PA's words) for him to get a playoff win and then just got completely creamed the next week. Had no answer, had no adjustments just straight pounded like Nassar will his first night in prison. I don't know if any personnel changes will make a difference at all...

You nailed it. I was a huge Dennis Green fan. Dude could coach his butt off. What he couldn’t do was make in game adjustments. I remember years ago going into halftime beating a Bill Parcel/Drew Bledsoe Patriot team by 21 points. The Patriots came out the 2nd half passing the ball ever down and beat the Vikings.

New Orleans found something they liked second half (isolating Sendejo...god he’s horrible) and the rest is history. We didn’t stop them 2nd but won the game. Zimmer forgot about what happened and made no changes until the 2nd half of the Philly game when he finally benched our non covering matador safety. Couple that with Zimmer admitting in the Saints game he stayed to long with defenses called and yet doing the same the very next game?

Zimmer also did a commendable job in allowing Foles to remain upright and comfortable in the pocket and boost his confidence.[emoji1537][emoji1537][emoji1537]

Now with that being said, after going through Chilly, Fraser and Tice.....I absolutely love Zimmer. He just needs to do better next season in those areas. Oh! And either play with 10 on defense or find a serviceable safety.

Sendejo in the 2nd half of the saints game did not play well but in the eagles game I though harrison had his worst game of his career. A lot of guys on defense had their worst games of the season too.

Any way it's just weird to me because during the regular season in game and half time adjustments seemed to be a strength of this team and then in the post season they seemed non-existent. That makes me question the head coach more than anything else.

I'd be willing to bet a good amount of money that Case Keenum will never have a season better than the one he just had.

Based on what? That's not a rhetorical question. The reason I don't want to discount him is his work ethic, enthusiasm, and football smarts. Those things will take you a long way at that position.

In other news, the Skins are considering franchising Cousins so they can trade him, which would make him doubly expensive. It would be so Snyder to do that, and no team bites on the price, and they have both him and Smith on the roster next year at great expense.

In other other news, it looks like Cooter will stay in Detroit. Stafford has been lobbying like hell for him.

You want to blame Zimmer for playoff records when he was a coordinator? Really? How about Blair Walsh missing a 27-yard FG (a distance at which NFL kickers are successful what, 99% of the time?) that cost Zimmer his first playoff win? Why did you bring up the unlikely win and not bring up the nearly-as-unlikely loss? How about Zimmer having a .609 winning percentage as a head coach? Among all NFL head coaches all-time with 50 or more wins, .609 would be tied for 21st all-time. Zimmer is a winner and will be getting us to the playoffs a lot as long as he's the Vikings head coach.

He has coached exactly 3 playoff games as a head coach. If you want to make some grand proclamation based on a 1-2 record, be my guest.

You want to blame Zimmer for playoff records when he was a coordinator? Really? How about Blair Walsh missing a 27-yard FG (a distance at which NFL kickers are successful what, 99% of the time?) that cost Zimmer his first playoff win? Why did you bring up the unlikely win and not bring up the nearly-as-unlikely loss? How about Zimmer having a .609 winning percentage as a head coach? Among all NFL head coaches all-time with 50 or more wins, .609 would be tied for 21st all-time. Zimmer is a winner and will be getting us to the playoffs a lot as long as he's the Vikings head coach.

He has coached exactly 3 playoff games as a head coach. If you want to make some grand proclamation based on a 1-2 record, be my guest.

I wasn't the one who came up with the stat, just went with what they were saying on TV. You can get your panties in a bunch all you want but his play off record is abysmal and his only win has come on literally one of the luckiest plays of all time. Then we got killed in a game we were favored in. Wasn't even close. His defense had zero answers. That's on him... so.

You can get your panties in a bunch all you want but his play off record is abysmal

His playoff record is 1-2. As I said, if you want to call that "abysmal" based on a sample size of 3 games, be my guest - but you look foolish doing so.

and his only win has come on literally one of the luckiest plays of all time.

And his first playoff loss came on literally one of the worst kick attempts in the history of the NFL. We can both play this game.

Then we got killed in a game we were favored in. Wasn't even close. His defense had zero answers. That's on him... so.

It was a horrible effort and there was no excuse for it. (And it was asinine that Philly was the underdog in a home playoff game as the #1 seed, but that's beside the point.) But it was one game. Talk about that (the one game) and not some stupid meaningless stat like he was 0-13 or whatever as a coordinator. That's just a stupid and meaningless statistic.

His playoff record is 1-2. As I said, if you want to call that "abysmal" based on a sample size of 3 games, be my guest - but you look foolish doing so.

And his first playoff loss came on literally one of the worst kick attempts in the history of the NFL. We can both play this game.

It was a horrible effort and there was no excuse for it. (And it was asinine that Philly was the underdog in a home playoff game as the #1 seed, but that's beside the point.) But it was one game. Talk about that (the one game) and not some stupid meaningless stat like he was 0-13 or whatever as a coordinator. That's just a stupid and meaningless statistic.

We shall see I guess as I expect him to have a long career in MN and frequent the payoffs. I'd disagree that his stats as defensive coordinator don't matter, in the context of making in game adjustments in the play offs. Both post season games this season he seemed well out coached. Which I find very strange because during the regular season the vikes always seemed to make great adjustments at half and/or throughout the game. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. Just not the case in the playoffs.

New Orleans found something they liked second half (isolating Sendejo...god he’s horrible) and the rest is history. We didn’t stop them 2nd but won the game. Zimmer forgot about what happened and made no changes until the 2nd half of the Philly game when he finally benched our non covering matador safety.

Sendejo in the 2nd half of the saints game did not play well but in the eagles game I though harrison had his worst game of his career. A lot of guys on defense had their worst games of the season too. .

On Sendejo, I’ve never been a huge fan but if I’m not mistaken, he missed almost the entire second half against the Saints; left with a concussion after that WR pick/block blindside when the score was still 17-0. I believe all of the Saints scoring came when he was OFF the field.

I could be wrong though?

On Sendejo, I’ve never been a huge fan but if I’m not mistaken, he missed almost the entire second half against the Saints; left with a concussion after that WR pick/block blindside when the score was still 17-0. I believe all of the Saints scoring came when he was OFF the field.

I could be wrong though?

No I think you are correct, my mistake.

I could be wrong though?

Yes, in general. That also coincided with Rhodes losing his cool (for damn good reason) and starting to play poorly, himself. The loss of Sendejo and of Rhode's cool was the downfall of the D in that game.

The downfall of the D against the Eagles is less clear, but IMO the Saints exposed the Vikings as being questionable against a fast, short passing game, and the Eagles followed that plan to a T. It is also not merely coincidental that the short passing game led to a victory against the Falcons the week prior, and was the Eagles' strength (in my opinion). I feared that very possibility the entire week prior to the game, but figured the coaching staff would adjust (they didn't).

Yes, in general. That also coincided with Rhodes losing his cool (for damn good reason) and starting to play poorly, himself. The loss of Sendejo and of Rhode's cool was the downfall of the D in that game.

The downfall of the D against the Eagles is less clear, but IMO the Saints exposed the Vikings as being questionable against a fast, short passing game, and the Eagles followed that plan to a T. It is also not merely coincidental that the short passing game led to a victory against the Falcons the week prior, and was the Eagles' strength (in my opinion). I feared that very possibility the entire week prior to the game, but figured the coaching staff would adjust (they didn't).

The Eagles noticed a susceptibility to double moves, and the Vikings never countered/adjusted. The key was protecting Foles for long enough to let those plays develop, and the Viking line couldn't get to him. Griffin's nagging injury and consequential ineffectiveness made a huge difference.

The Eagles noticed a susceptibility to double moves, and the Vikings never countered/adjusted. The key was protecting Foles for long enough to let those plays develop, and the Viking line couldn't get to him. Griffin's nagging injury and consequential ineffectiveness made a huge difference.

Yeah, the lack of a pass rush was a huge difference, make or break difference on many critical plays during the game.

Based on what? That's not a rhetorical question. The reason I don't want to discount him is his work ethic, enthusiasm, and football smarts. Those things will take you a long way at that position.

In other news, the Skins are considering franchising Cousins so they can trade him, which would make him doubly expensive. It would be so Snyder to do that, and no team bites on the price, and they have both him and Smith on the roster next year at great expense.

In other other news, it looks like Cooter will stay in Detroit. Stafford has been lobbying like hell for him.

His age and his past. He's been mediocre to bad up to now, but generally with bad teams. He's 29 which is generally around the peak age. He had a perfect set up here. A great defense. A decent running game. Good WRs. We almost never played from behind. He had a career season. The chances that all of the above will align for him that well again isn't that great. And he's not likely to improve after age 30. Much better chance that he's Brian Hoyer than Rich Gannon.

Yeah, the lack of a pass rush was a huge difference, make or break difference on many critical plays during the game.

In general, the health of both lines was bad down the stretch, which is death in the playoffs against good teams.

Eagles look as good so far today as they did in the previous game.

Lots of missed opportunities for New England so far.

Actually it would be a savvy move. No way will they keep him, they are just trying get something for nothing. Why let him leave for nothing when they can pick up a pick or three.

Great analysis, you nailed it.[emoji1531]

Actually it would be a savvy move. No way will they keep him, they are just trying get something for nothing. Why let him leave for nothing when they can pick up a pick or three.

Nobody is going to make that trade if Cousins is looking for 25-30 million per year. My guess is that they are just going to let him walk.

We’re getting a good look at what good offensive lines look like tonight. Both QBs have all day to throw.

Nobody is going to make that trade if Cousins is looking for 25-30 million per year. My guess is that they are just going to let him walk.

He is most definitely going to get the money. Starting QB’s are hard to come by. Starting QB’s in their prime even harder. The Vikings have 3 of them is why I wouldn’t give him the money.

Washington won’t get anywhere market value but something is better than nothing.

I doubt it will prove savvy. No one is going to give you anything of value for the right to pay Cousins $30 million on a one year deal. And you have to assume they will be massively over the cap unable to do anything else until they trade him. Cousins just has to call their bluff and sign the tender and they're $%*ed.

Because no one asked...
fe2087df5b0d970cfc45983cb92c2f1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

He is most definitely going to get the money. Starting QB’s are hard to come by. Starting QB’s in their prime even harder. The Vikings have 3 of them is why I wouldn’t give him the money.

Washington won’t get anywhere market value but something is better than nothing.

Problem is.....I only see four or five teams that could be a possible landing spot. Bills, Jets, Chiefs, Cards......and possibly the Fins. With Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen as legit QB prospects......a few of those teams might be picking up a rookie starter. It would be risky to slap Cousins with a franchise tag now that they've signed Smith.

I doubt it will prove savvy. No one is going to give you anything of value for the right to pay Cousins $30 million on a one year deal. And you have to assume they will be massively over the cap unable to do anything else until they trade him. Cousins just has to call their bluff and sign the tender and they're $%*ed.

Nahh, Cousin gets his money and the eagles will get something. Even it’s a 7th round pick.

Problem is.....I only see four or five teams that could be a possible landing spot. Bills, Jets, Chiefs, Cards......and possibly the Fins. With Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen as legit QB prospects......a few of those teams might be picking up a rookie starter. It would be risky to slap Cousins with a franchise tag now that they've signed Smith.

A team willing to give him 25 million isn’t going to let a throw away pick keep them from their starting QB. It could be as simple as swapping picks in the same round.

Eagles winning SBLII tonight with Foles is even more reason not to go after a high cost Cousins

A team willing to give him 25 million isn’t going to let a throw away pick keep them from their starting QB. It could be as simple as swapping picks in the same round.

The thing is.....if the Skins are only expecting a throw away pick.....why would they take the risk of franchising him and being stuck with his salary? There are four top ten talent QB's in this years draft. For a few of the teams that I mentioned with high picks.....I would suspect that they are looking to find a QB in the draft. I think the most likely landing spots for Cousins would be in Arizona or Kansas City. Two teams that could very well compete next year with competent QB play.

Top Bottom