2018 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

+1 I have never understood why you dislike him so much, Howie. He played awesome for the Vikings this year.

Well obviously if I don't like him for one team, why would I like him for the other? I think he's fine for a team looking for a stop-gap QB, if that is Denver's path. I don't think he's someone you want to make your franchise QB. I have no hate for him. Is he the guy from Houston/St. Louis or the guy we saw last year? Probably somewhere in between. I haven't said anything that different from what Mike Zimmer has said about him.

Right. And I’ve been quite perplexed by Zimmer’s handling and treatment of him as well. Being in love with Ted Bridgewater, like Zim appears to be, is no reason to not acknowledge that Keece saved the season for Zim and maybe even proved something about himself, in the process.

Well obviously if I don't like him for one team, why would I like him for the other? I think he's fine for a team looking for a stop-gap QB, if that is Denver's path. I don't think he's someone you want to make your franchise QB. I have no hate for him. Is he the guy from Houston/St. Louis or the guy we saw last year? Probably somewhere in between. I haven't said anything that different from what Mike Zimmer has said about him.

Zimmer's employer is the Vikings, who have an incentive to not talk him up in a contract situation because it drives up his price. What is your incentive?

You go out of your way to rip on him whenever he's mentioned. He's quickly approaching, if not already exceeding, Maturi and Tubby on your hate meter.

Zimmer's employer is the Vikings, who have an incentive to not talk him up in a contract situation because it drives up his price. What is your incentive?

You go out of your way to rip on him whenever he's mentioned. He's quickly approaching, if not already exceeding, Maturi and Tubby on your hate meter.

He's nowhere near Maturi, that's a high bar. :cool: And I was not a Tubby hater, you have me confused with someone else. I would take Keenum in a second as a back-up again, or as a 1-2 year starter if Denver drafts a QB at #5. I don't see how that qualifies as hating him.

Great point; plus the Vikings could structure a 3 year deal giving him a larger chunk up front lessoning the cap hit in years 2 and 3. With that being said I don’t like Cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With you on this. I would rather see Keenum than Cousins. I thought they could have signed Keenum for a team friendly deal (maybe 3 years $36 million), but maybe he wanted to test the waters.

With you on this. I would rather see Keenum than Cousins. I thought they could have signed Keenum for a team friendly deal (maybe 3 years $36 million), but maybe he wanted to test the waters.

I think the Vikes want him to test the market. Aside from Brees and the Saints, I think the Vikes and Broncos are 1 and 1A for preferred landing spots for FA QB’s with the Vikes being able to outspend the Broncos. Case can test the waters but he would prefer to stay with the Vikes. Once the market is set for him the Vikes can decide if the want to come close to matching it (which would seal the deal....just being close.

He's nowhere near Maturi, that's a high bar. :cool: And I was not a Tubby hater, you have me confused with someone else. I would take Keenum in a second as a back-up again, or as a 1-2 year starter if Denver drafts a QB at #5. I don't see how that qualifies as hating him.

A guy finishes 2nd in the league in QBR, and you'd happily take him as a backup. And you think that's not hating him?

I think the Vikes want him to test the market. Aside from Brees and the Saints, I think the Vikes and Broncos are 1 and 1A for preferred landing spots for FA QB’s with the Vikes being able to outspend the Broncos. Case can test the waters but he would prefer to stay with the Vikes. Once the market is set for him the Vikes can decide if the want to come close to matching it (which would seal the deal....just being close.

I could see that. Luckily I am not a huge Vikings fan, but I would be bummed out if they signed Cousins for 3 years 90 million.

+1 I have never understood why you dislike him so much, Howie. He played awesome for the Vikings this year.

He played awesome for a 2nd or 3rd option making 2 million a year. He played well for an upper echelon player which is what we would be paying him as if resigned. We can do better.

Keenum to the Broncos sounds like a done deal.

ESPN: Broncos pick Case Keenum to get back to being a playoff contender

There is one way to make a steely-eyed Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback get a little uncomfortable in his own skin.

Just ask John Elway to say "rebuilding."

Or as Elway put it at the scouting combine: "I didn't say it. I’m not going to say it. Life is too short to rebuild in the NFL."

In an effort to lift the Denver Broncos back into the playoff conversation and to avoid the dreaded "R" word, the Broncos have gone in all-in on Case Keenum, who is expected to sign with the Broncos when free agency officially opens Wednesday afternoon.

The 30-year-old Keenum led the Minnesota Vikings to an 11-3 mark in his 14 starts last season in place of an injured Sam Bradford as the Vikings advanced to the NFC Championship Game. Keenum, Kirk Cousins and Drew Brees are considered the top quarterbacks in free agency, with the Broncos heavily evaluating Cousins and Teddy Bridgewater before deciding Keenum would be their pick.

http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-bro...eenum-to-try-and-put-them-back-in-playoff-mix

Skol Vikes!!

I'm not going to lie, part of me wants to see Cousins sign with the Jets now just so I can witness the aftermath.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's a huge price tag but at the end of the day, somebody was going to overpay for Cousins. Turns out it was the Vikings. If you want to play, you have to pay.

The Vikings are telling their fanbase and the league that they plan to contend for the SB this year; I'm totally okay with the move, even at that price tag.

Somebody was going to overpay for Cousins, whether it was the Vikings or someone else. Turns out it was the Vikings. That being said, I'm okay with it.

The Vikings are telling their fanbase and the league that they are serious about making a run for the SB this year. It's a decent business decision and it could pave the way for landing other free agents available who might consider taking equal or lesser money to sign with the Vikings than someone else.

Costly, but I think it was the right move given all the particular information available and the given situation.

EDIT: Oops. Thought the first post was deleted! My bad!

Somebody was going to overpay for Cousins, whether it was the Vikings or someone else. Turns out it was the Vikings. That being said, I'm okay with it.

The Vikings are telling their fanbase and the league that they are serious about making a run for the SB this year. It's a decent business decision and it could pave the way for landing other free agents available who might consider taking equal or lesser money to sign with the Vikings than someone else.

Costly, but I think it was the right move given all the particular information available and the given situation.

EDIT: Oops. Thought the first post was deleted! My bad!

Agreed. I like that the Vikes are one of the few (only?) MN franchises who go all-in pretty consistently.

Skol Vikes!!

Sam Bradford to the Arizona Cardinals! Holy crap, a 1 year deal, $20M. Wow that sounds like a lot but if healthy, he is a heckuva talent!

The Cardinals have needed to draft a QB for almost a decade now, never more so than this year it looks like. In about the last 10 years I can remember them drafting Matt Leinart (big FAIL!!) and for a developmental QB they drafted the big kid from Virginia Tech several years ago (Logan Thomas?) who never panned out and apparently now is a TE for the Bills.

Sam Bradford to the Arizona Cardinals! Holy crap, a 1 year deal, $20M. Wow that sounds like a lot but if healthy, he is a heckuva talent!

The Cardinals have needed to draft a QB for almost a decade now, never more so than this year it looks like. In about the last 10 years I can remember them drafting Matt Leinart (big FAIL!!) and for a developmental QB they drafted the big kid from Virginia Tech several years ago (Logan Thomas?) who never panned out and apparently now is a TE for the Bills.

I just saw this as well. Crazy!

Arizona could be at a spot in the draft to take Lamar Jackson. Could be a good route for them.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

holy crap. bradford, teddy, and keenum gone! All the sudden I don't feel so good about our QB situation.

Depending on those first couple picks at the top of the draft, there should be a BOATLOAD of trading and movement of teams getting into the top 10 to get one of the available QB's, now that teams like Denver and the NY Jets (even the Browns picking up Tyrod Taylor from the Bills???) have signed free agent QB's. The teams holding those picks could be sitting pretty at the top. OR, the teams lower in the draft that need a QB COULD just sit back and wait, call the bluff of the top teams thinking they have the leverage near the top of the draft, and just see who falls out of the top 10.

Should be a REALLY entertaining first round, first 15 picks or so for sure.

We play the Jets and Cardinals this year.

Edit: Just looked at the schedule in more detail. Man, going to be a tough road schedule: at Rams, Patriots, Eagles, Seahawks, and Packers.

Per sources. No deal have been agree with Teddy and the Jets. They talking. But Josh McCown will be the starter in New York. Teddy may not even signed there.

Per sources. No deal have been agree with Teddy and the Jets. They talking. But Josh McCown will be the starter in New York. Teddy may not even signed there.

Why? Teddy on one leg is at least as good as McCown and has some upside. Would love for Teddy to return as the back-up but I doubt he'll go for that.

We play the Jets and Cardinals this year.

Edit: Just looked at the schedule in more detail. Man, going to be a tough road schedule: at Rams, Patriots, Eagles, Seahawks, and Packers.

It's not easy. But Seattle won't be very good this year IMO, and I wouldn't be shocked if the Rams took a step back. We'll be lucky to win one of Patriots/Eagles/Packers though.

Why? Teddy on one leg is at least as good as McCown and has some upside. Would love for Teddy to return as the back-up but I doubt he'll go for that.

McCown wasn't half bad last year. And considering the terrible team he was playing for......he actually played pretty well. 67.3 completion percentage and 18 TDs to only 9 INTs.

They got the best QB in free agency not named Brees

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vikings better have Cousins locked up if all three of these guys are truly gone.

Oh.....and the Packers signed Jimmy Graham and cut Jordy Nelson. Surprising!

Top Bottom