2018 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Well this thread started two weeks before I was hoping.

Obviously the biggest off-season decision will be what we do with the trio of QB free agents on our roster. The right move is to probably give Keenum the permanent job and a big raise. I hope we don't over pay, but he has all of the leverage.

We'll need to replace our OC, sounds like we're interested in Mike McCoy and Ben McAdoo.

Let's hope Cook heals up 100% so we can see what he can do next year.

Skol Vikes!!

As for QB, I say none of the above, unless Bridgewater or Bradford are willing to come back as the back-up. Either Manning or Cousins. Cousins will cost too much though.

Franchise Keenum and see if he can replicate his success. He'll basically get paid what Bradford did this year. Going into the season with 3 brand new QBs at the most important position in the NFL is complete stupidity.

Franchise Keenum and see if he can replicate his success. He'll basically get paid what Bradford did this year. Going into the season with 3 brand new QBs at the most important position in the NFL is complete stupidity.

New coordinator, new offense. Not sure it matters. I'm pretty sure they can keep Bridgewater as the back-up in any event. No one will give him starter money after two passes thrown in two years.

I'll keep hoping for Jim Bob Cooter for OC; those other guys are schmoe retreads, but he's special. Need better OL health and depth as well as more DB help. If Newman and/or Alexander is playing more than the dime package, we're in trouble. Quandary at QB; anyone who thinks there's a clear-cut path there is kidding themselves...other than no, we are not franchising Keenum.

Don't franchise Keenum. Offer him a reasonable contract though. We need an O-line and DB heavy draft.

Don't franchise Keenum. Offer him a reasonable contract though. We need an O-line and DB heavy draft.

Look at what other QBs around the league get paid. Someone will give Keenum 20 million if we don't. He's the safest option on our roster right now. Franchise him and if he ends up being overpaid for 1 year, it's still only 1 year.

Look at what other QBs around the league get paid. Someone will give Keenum 20 million if we don't. He's the safest option on our roster right now. Franchise him and if he ends up being overpaid for 1 year, it's still only 1 year.

No thanks. If some team wants to throw $20 million/yr at him.....let them. He was good this year and I'd like to keep him....but our defense was very good (prior to tonight). Case wasn't asked to throw for 300+ yards in most games.

No thanks. If some team wants to throw $20 million/yr at him.....let them. He was good this year and I'd like to keep him....but our defense was very good (prior to tonight). Case wasn't asked to throw for 300+ yards in most games.

Again, that’s what Bradford made this year while riding the bench. If you don’t pay Keenum, who are you going to pay to play QB next year?

Again, that’s what Bradford made this year while riding the bench. If you don’t pay Keenum, who are you going to pay to play QB next year?

We didn't give Bradford that contract. That came over with the Eagles trade. Don't play stupid like the Redskins did with Cousins. Put a multi year deal on the table at a reasonable rate. He's not going to net a top five QB salary anywhere.

I think the difference between Bridgewater and Keenum next year will be minimal. Manning would be an upgrade. So would Cousins. Even Alex Smith. I'll take any short-term option over 4 years of Keenum or paying him a top 5 salary.

I think the difference between Bridgewater and Keenum next year will be minimal. Manning would be an upgrade. So would Cousins. Even Alex Smith. I'll take any short-term option over 4 years of Keenum or paying him a top 5 salary.

Franchising him means paying him for 1 year not 4. 20 million puts him at ~9th in the league, for one year. Yes paying him that much over 4 years is stupid. Paying him that for 1 year when he's basically your only option is not.

Bridgewater may never be anywhere close to where he was, which was a mediocre QB, and worse than Keenum this year.

We didn't give Bradford that contract. That came over with the Eagles trade. Don't play stupid like the Redskins did with Cousins. Put a multi year deal on the table at a reasonable rate. He's not going to net a top five QB salary anywhere.

We still paid Bradford's contract this year so how does that make any sense? 20 million isn't top 5. I'd still rather give Keenum 1 year at a higher rate than multiple years at a slightly reduced rate.

Franchising him means paying him for 1 year not 4. 20 million puts him at ~9th in the league, for one year. Yes paying him that much over 4 years is stupid. Paying him that for 1 year when he's basically your only option is not.

Bridgewater may never be anywhere close to where he was, which was a mediocre QB, and worse than Keenum this year.

The franchise tag means he gets the average of the top 5 QBs in the league. Probably closer to $25 million. He's simply not a $25 million QB. If you sign him to a 4-year $60 million deal with $25 million guaranteed, that's not really any worse. Either is way too much for a guy who's far more likely to be Brian Hoyer than Tom Brady.

The franchise tag means he gets the average of the top 5 QBs in the league. Probably closer to $25 million. He's simply not a $25 million QB. If you sign him to a 4-year $60 million deal with $25 million guaranteed, that's not really any worse. Either is way too much for a guy who's far more likely to be Brian Hoyer than Tom Brady.

Someone is going to pay him. He was our best QB since Favre. Getting him at a bargain price is wishful thinking with no other QBs under contract on our roster.

We still paid Bradford's contract this year so how does that make any sense? 20 million isn't top 5. I'd still rather give Keenum 1 year at a higher rate than multiple years at a slightly reduced rate.
If you are betting on Keenum for the future....you give him a multi year deal NOW. Don't pay him with a one year contract of $25 million. If he continues to play well....then next year you might have to give him a multi year deal ranging 25mil+. Either you think he's the guy or you don't. Check out his stats. He's good, but if the defense was poor and he had to put the team on his back.....well.....he didn't really have to do that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

None of the 3 Vikings QB's should be franchised. If they like Keenum, offer him 4 years at $65-70M or so and hope he takes it.

The teams needs to commit to improving both the OL and DL through both the draft and free agency. The Eagles were able to rotate in fresh DL without losing any effectiveness. The game was lost in the trenches and that needs to be fixed.

None of the 3 Vikings QB's should be franchised. If they like Keenum, offer him 4 years at $65-70M or so and hope he takes it.
I think that would be a fair contract. He'd have some job security and be making FAR more than he was.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Keenum had 2-3 very good games (TB, @Was, @DET) and a bunch of games where he was adequate to win with a great defense and a running game. That's not a franchise QB and he's not going to stay on some upward trajectory as he approaches 30.

ESPN: Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater uncertain if Vikings want them to return in 2018

The Minnesota Vikings are entering the offseason with complete uncertainty at the quarterback position, rare for a team that won 14 games and advanced to the NFC Championship Game this season.

And at the moment, at least, few -- if any -- know how they will address it.

As they packed up their belongings one day after a 38-7 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, two of the Vikings' quarterbacks said Monday they had no indication whether the team wanted them back.

"I don't know what the future holds," said Teddy Bridgewater, who spent eight weeks as the No. 2 quarterback but was deactivated for the playoffs in favor of Sam Bradford. "Still dealing with the 24-hour rule with yesterday, still dealing with that. So just going to take it one day at a time."

Bradford was not in the Vikings' locker room Monday during the media access period. Meanwhile, Case Keenum -- who started 16 games, including the playoffs, and ranked second in the NFL with a 69.7 Total Quarterback Rating -- said he had no insight into the Vikings' plans.

Asked if the Vikings had provided an indication, directly or indirectly, whether they wanted him back, Keenum shook his head and said: "Nope." He added later that Monday wouldn't necessarily have been the day for such a commitment.

"Everybody's still got a lot on their minds from yesterday," Keenum said. "There's a lot going through everybody's heads. This is just a weird day. It's the last time I'm going to be in the locker room with a lot of these guys. You want to make sure you enjoy that than trying to worry and stress about other things."

Keenum said he had no priorities in terms of picking his next team but made clear that he "loved" playing for the Vikings.

"I love this team," he said. "I love these guys. I love the coaching staff. I love this whole organization. The Wilfs [the team's owners] are awesome. The day I signed, I got a call from the owner welcoming me to the team.

"From the top down, that trickles down -- just the attitude, the character, just the culture they have around here is awesome. Not to mention Minnesota itself. The people here have been great. My biggest fear coming here was the snow, and I didn't even shovel that. It's been a great year."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-uncertain-minnesota-vikings-want-return-2018

Skol Vikes!!

Keenum's QB rating in the play-offs without the Minnesota Miracle was 66. Yikes.

Self scouting will be a good thing for this team.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Keenum had 2-3 very good games (TB, @Was, @DET) and a bunch of games where he was adequate to win with a great defense and a running game. That's not a franchise QB and he's not going to stay on some upward trajectory as he approaches 30.

We get it, you don't like the guy. Despite your criticisms, he had the 2nd best QBR in the league. (I find that highly unlikely to happen if he had "2-3 very good games and a bunch of games where he was adequate.") He could continue to be that good (or better), but nobody knows, including you.

It's hilarious that you're bringing up his age when you want the Vikings to sign Eli Manning, who will be 38 by the time the 2019 playoffs begin.

We get it, you don't like the guy. Despite your criticisms, he had the 2nd best QBR in the league. (I find that highly unlikely to happen if he had "2-3 very good games and a bunch of games where he was adequate.") He could continue to be that good (or better), but nobody knows, including you.

It's hilarious that you're bringing up his age when you want the Vikings to sign Eli Manning, who will be 38 by the time the 2019 playoffs begin.

I think Keenum saved Spielman's butt this year by making that offensive line look better than it was

The #10 player in QBR this season was Russell Wilson, with 58.3. Keenum had 11 games this year with a QBR of 58.3 or higher. In other words, in 11 out of the 17 games he played in this year, he played at a top-10 QB level. But yes, he had a "bunch of games where he was adequate".

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Jim Bob Cooter, come to papa...

Jim Bob Cooter, come to papa...

I think it's neat that Matt Patricia will finally get his mug on TV once in a while during the games.

Top Bottom