Hero Ball is killing us

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
Hero Ball screws our shooters up, so why does the coach allow it to continue?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ewert I am with you. Mason seems to especially take some bad shots. It bugs me when he tries to take nba range threes when there is no desperation in the possession.

The hero ball is largely because of a lack of trust inside. Our guards aren't passing inside because A) Konate and Diedhiou aren't scoring threats inside and B) have cement blocks for hands the few times a guard beats their guy and tries to dump it off for a dunk. I laugh when Konate posts up and puts his hands up for a pass, you're not getting the ball there. You have no low post game, you can't score that way. The only way you can score is off a garbage offensive rebound or a perfectly executed pick-and-roll with the pass going towards the rim.

This team will have an ENTIRELY different look next year with Murphy, Curry and Oturu inside. And it won't take much for Stockman to be better than Konate or Diedhiou. Catch a pass and you're halfway there. Flash a semblance of a low post game from anyone, and suddenly your shooters will have open looks.

Ewert I am with you. Mason seems to especially take some bad shots. It bugs me when he tries to take nba range threes when there is no desperation in the possession.

Taking bad shots and playing poor defense is a reflection of coaching.

The hero ball is largely because of a lack of trust inside. Our guards aren't passing inside because A) Konate and Diedhiou aren't scoring threats inside and B) have cement blocks for hands the few times a guard beats their guy and tries to dump it off for a dunk. I laugh when Konate posts up and puts his hands up for a pass, you're not getting the ball there. You have no low post game, you can't score that way. The only way you can score is off a garbage offensive rebound or a perfectly executed pick-and-roll with the pass going towards the rim.

This team will have an ENTIRELY different look next year with Murphy, Curry and Oturu inside. And it won't take much for Stockman to be better than Konate or Diedhiou. Catch a pass and you're halfway there. Flash a semblance of a low post game from anyone, and suddenly your shooters will have open looks.
Very good points. [emoji106]

It didn’t bode well when the team switched their indentity to trying to out score opponents (I wonder if IW and his offensive flash had something to do with this) there has been very few times this season when the team has played lock down defense and - unlike last year.

Yeah I wish he, his dad and brothers would stop getting media coverage and leave us alone. I'm tired of the whole Ball family.

It didn’t bode well when the team switched their indentity to trying to out score opponents (I wonder if IW and his offensive flash had something to do with this) there has been very few times this season when the team has played lock down defense and - unlike last year.
Should we try to not outscore our opponents? Would there be a better outcome if we scored less than our opponents? [emoji33][emoji57]

That might have to do with the fact that last year we had springs lynch and curry instead of Konate and two freshmen wings

Should we try to not outscore our opponents? Would there be a better outcome if we scored less than our opponents? [emoji33][emoji57]

Hard to do when we do not stop the other team from scoring at will.

Check the records of the top 40 Kenpom and maybe two have worse defenses than the Gophs and none from a power conference. You can be a top 10 team with average offense if the defense is great. One year, last year 22nd in defense lead to a decent year. The other years under this regime were pretty poor defense.

There are many issues with the team, but many of them come from one thing...wearing out. Two of the starters don't even really practice. How are they in game shape? The team fades bad as the game goes on. Being tired leads to lack of movement, lack of lift, and defensive lapses.

Pitino is trying to be creative in playing guys, shuffling line-ups and making the best of a situation.

Top Bottom