Mason shot selection

bga1

Reaction score
Nate is a solid shooter. Overall, a really good player with a pretty high assist to turnover ratio. The problem I see is that he is a high volume shooter who shoots a lot of bad shots...forces and wild floaters. His three point percentage is excellent, hovering right around 40% but his FG % as a whole sunk below 40% for the year after today. That is a distinction shared by only about 10 other Big Ten starters. It hurts the Gophers that our high volume shooter and point guard shoots so many bad shots. I have noticed a number of games where the other team goes on a little run and Mason starts taking matters in his own hands, usually damaging the cause.

I feel bad for Mason because he doesn't have the expected running mates but I also expected him and Murphy to keep us in every game. The blowouts are getting pretty distressing.

I am hoping Nate has a much better second half of the Big Ten season and goes out on a high. With Coffey back I am still not giving up on this squad....

Agreed.

He's much more inclined to move the ball when things are going well. He and Dupree play way too much hero ball. (I don't entirely blame them because when Hurt, Konate and/or Gas are in the game they are playing 3 on 5 or 4 on 5.) The team still has some talent but there is no trust on the floor.

His shot selection seems to have deteriorated along with his leadership. It has been difficult to watch him appear as if he does not care. I really hope I am wrong and he turns this season around.

Just observing body language, it seems like Nate is going through stages of grief. What he hoped and dreamed of for himself and this season has come crumbling down all around him. He seems to be struggling with how to redefine his goals. I really hope the team has some sports psychologists to help.
With no consistency around him, Nate has taken to trying to score on his own, which leads to some bad shots. He either doesn't trust the younger kids or he gets impatient waiting for them to get open. It doesn't help that his teammates often stop moving without the ball and he is left to try create. In any case, Nate ends up taking a low percentage shot.
I blame our coaching staff as much as anyone as they are responsible to build some offensive structure that utilizes our strengths and diminishes our weaknesses. However, the weaknesses are pretty glaring. I don't envy them the job they have.
I'm not sure how to encourage Mason. This year has really turned for the worse. That's never a good thing for a senior.

Mason is a very good player, but not one that can take over a game by himself. With Coffey back, there is no good reason why anyone has to play like they are the only scoring option. Mason, McBrayer, Murphy and Coffey. That’s four very good offensive options. In spite of our obvious black hole now at center, we should not be getting blown out like we were today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad shot selection combined with no legs after this week from hell. I'm hopeful that with Coffey back and two winnable games coming up, this team and Mason will re-set and get back to being themselves.

Also, just because Coffey's back, it shouldn't mean that Harris gets welded to the bench again. He is our best outside shooter. I want him playing 10 minutes/game and getting multiple 3's per game.

Mason is a very good player, but not one that can take over a game by himself. With Coffey back, there is no good reason why anyone has to play like they are the only scoring option. Mason, McBrayer, Murphy and Coffey. That’s four very good offensive options. In spite of our obvious black hole now at center, we should not be getting blown out like we were today.

Unfortunately those four cannot play all 40 minutes. Mason presses and makes poor shots when he has few options on the court with him. Our lack of depth is not just a problem on offense either. We will be lucky to win 3 more games and I won't blame Mason because he forces a few shots.

Bad shot selection combined with no legs after this week from hell. I'm hopeful that with Coffey back and two winnable games coming up, this team and Mason will re-set and get back to being themselves.

Also, just because Coffey's back, it shouldn't mean that Harris gets welded to the bench again. He is our best outside shooter. I want him playing 10 minutes/game and getting multiple 3's per game.
nm...I was thinking our next opponent was Nebraska instead of Northwestern.

Mason isn't the only one on this team with poor shot selection.

Just observing body language, it seems like Nate is going through stages of grief. What he hoped and dreamed of for himself and this season has come crumbling down all around him. He seems to be struggling with how to redefine his goals. I really hope the team has some sports psychologists to help.

He's a senior who has had some adversity and he's going through stages of grief? Good grief, if that isn't a new level of dumb assery, then you hope he has access to a psychologist.

"Lay down, Nate, I understand you've been feeling sad and confused lately. I know it's hard, but you do know you're a senior and it isn't the first time a college basketball team has had to play without a couple of starters? I know it's hard because your dreams have been dashed and it seems like your world is crumbling around you, poor guy, but you know you're not the first player that's ever happened to? Have you thought about redefing your goals now that the season has gone down the tubes? What are they, Nate? By the way, are your struggling? Tell, me, are there people on the team that you don't trust because they have hands of stone? Do you blame Coach like MennoSota does because his takes are always right on? Speaking of, do you also blame Title IX like MennoSota does. Should EOAA be more transparent, Nate? Do you also demand transparency? Do you feel, Nate, like you're a victim just as the Witches of Salem were victims?"

He's a senior who has had some adversity and he's going through stages of grief? Good grief, if that isn't a new level of dumb assery, then you hope he has access to a psychologist.

"Lay down, Nate, I understand you've been feeling sad and confused lately. I know it's hard, but you do know you're a senior and it isn't the first time a college basketball team has had to play without a couple of starters? I know it's hard because your dreams have been dashed and it seems like your world is crumbling around you, poor guy, but you know you're not the first player that's ever happened to? Have you thought about redefing your goals now that the season has gone down the tubes? What are they, Nate? By the way, are your struggling? Tell, me, are there people on the team that you don't trust because they have hands of stone? Do you blame Coach like MennoSota does because his takes are always right on? Speaking of, do you also blame Title IX like MennoSota does. Should EOAA be more transparent, Nate? Do you also demand transparency? Do you feel, Nate, like you're a victim just as the Witches of Salem were victims?"
LOL, how is middle school going for you?

Nate is a solid shooter. Overall, a really good player with a pretty high assist to turnover ratio. The problem I see is that he is a high volume shooter who shoots a lot of bad shots...forces and wild floaters. His three point percentage is excellent, hovering right around 40% but his FG % as a whole sunk below 40% for the year after today. That is a distinction shared by only about 10 other Big Ten starters. It hurts the Gophers that our high volume shooter and point guard shoots so many bad shots. I have noticed a number of games where the other team goes on a little run and Mason starts taking matters in his own hands, usually damaging the cause.

I feel bad for Mason because he doesn't have the expected running mates but I also expected him and Murphy to keep us in every game. The blowouts are getting pretty distressing.

I am hoping Nate has a much better second half of the Big Ten season and goes out on a high. With Coffey back I am still not giving up on this squad....

He's been doing this since his sophomore year. Obviously there are plenty of times where he has no choice but to put up a low percentage shot, but his forced prayers early in the clock drive me absolutely nuts. At this point though, whatever. Shoot away, Mason. Damn you, MN sports. Now we just have the Wolves, who have a ceiling of winning a first round series (which I would be thrilled with, quite honestly) -- but I miss the hopeful outlook of the Vikings and Gophers as true contenders :(

Top Bottom