***OFFICIAL OHIO ST "AT" MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

The only way Richie should sniff another year is if he goes 5-4 over these last 9 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they find some kind of cover up or something with the Lynch situation, I highly doubt this will happen. I think he's back no matter what the record is this year.

How much does the coach contribute to teams going on 20-plus point runs on us?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah 5-4 is not going to happen, unfortunately I think he is back again next year. Having Coffey the last 9 he has a lot less excuses. I have thought it was a bad hire from the start, I am ready to get a real coach in here who has had to grind and fight his way to a b10 job. To me his teams don’t have any toughness or grind because he has never had to everything has been handed to him.

Unless they find some kind of cover up or something with the Lynch situation, I highly doubt this will happen. I think he's back no matter what the record is this year.

Even with Curry and Lynch, I think this team was never a serious big ten title contender. Too many inconsistent and just pure rotten shooters. Does Pitino even bother to look at shooting percentages when he is out recruiting athletes?

Last year is sure feeling like a fluke. Didn't Pitino just buy a nice, big new house? I hope he doesn't get too cozy in it. I think the Pitino experiment comes to an end after next season is a disappointment as well.

Even with Curry and Lynch, I think this team was never a serious big ten title contender. Too many inconsistent and just pure rotten shooters. Does Pitino even bother to look at shooting percentages when he is out recruiting athletes?

Last year is sure feeling like a fluke. Didn't Pitino just buy a nice, big new house? I hope he doesn't get too cozy in it. I think the Pitino experiment comes to an end after next season is a disappointment as well.

Well we'll never know will we

Can’t speak to curry but before the lynch suspension the team was squarely on the bubble wit a lot left to do.

How much does the coach contribute to teams going on 20-plus point runs on us?

Considering the fact that this team is EASILY distracted off of whatever their game plan is at the time, and look absolutely discombobulated during these unexplainable runs, I would say it is 90% + coaching.

Thank God none you geniuses are running the program. Pitino is a good coach who just happens to win WHEN he has good players. When said players are hurt and or suspended its hard to win. Pretty complicated right?

Go hit the Iowa board and bitch about their coach for a change.

Thank God none you geniuses are running the program. Pitino is a good coach who just happens to win WHEN he has good players. When said players are hurt and or suspended its hard to win. Pretty complicated right?

In year five, I think it is fair to consider the coach's impact on the team. Pitino recruited these players who lose steam late in the first half and then drop off worse in the second half. He is not able to coach them back up during halftime. I see a failure in the two prime roles of a coach: bringing in top talent and coaching that talent to win games.

Then again, we are a school who gave Cheryl Littlejohn four years in her destruction of the Women's Basketball program. So why not give Richard six, seven or eight years to sink the Men's program further?

+1000. This is a results driven industry. The fact is he is 25 games under .500(in the big ten) with 0 ncaa wins in 5 years. I just don’t get based on what is he a good coach? He has done nothing before here and we are in the midst of our worse 5 year conference record since the 80s. At one point do the excuses run out. He got to skip steps in the coaching process because of his name. Bad hire 5 years ago and remains that. You can take the b10 coach of the year, I’ll take wins and a consistent program not this crap. I just don’t see it next year no proven point guard and the only one on the roster played what 5 minutes today. It looks to me if everything goes perfect the curling is a ncaa bubble and coming off 2 of 3 simply horrible years that is not enough.

QUOTE=Ewert86PC;1507806]In year five, I think it is fair to consider the coach's impact on the team. Pitino recruited these players who lose steam late in the first half and then drop off worse in the second half. He is not able to coach them back up during halftime. I see a failure in the two prime roles of a coach: bringing in top talent and coaching that talent to win games.

Then again, we are a school who gave Cheryl Littlejohn four years in her destruction of the Women's Basketball program. So why not give Richard six, seven or eight years to sink the Men's program further?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you. In retrospect, and as many have noted, I think Springs was critically important to the team and their confidence/psyche. Also, without Lynch and Curry, our offense and defense in the paint really suffers. Murphy is great, but he's not a center and not that athletic.

As a whole, we are not that athletic and we shoot poorly, a bad combination. I think a lot of that falls on the coaching staff and what and how they recruit. I am cautiously optimistic that with Curry back and bringing in the 2 O's, Gabe and hopefully an experienced transfer point that can shoot abit that we will be better next year. We will see.

We lose lynch, mason, konate, diedheu next year ( the last two are an addition by subtraction)
We gain Oturu, kauleshaur, omersa, stockman, curry
Big men become a strength with depth -(barring unforeseen circumstances)

Pitinos not going anywhere with this class coming in - we are building for the future and pitino has shown he learns from his mistakes. He was a young coach learning the ropes and has had some missteps - if he repeats earlier mistakes then there would be cause to let him go - if you said we would be down 3 of our top 6 players this summer I would have said we would be exactly in the position we are in now.

Richard really f'd up by taking two players with the same skill set, really no skill set, in BK and GD.
He has wasted two scholarships for four years. That is on him. You can't tell me there was not some kid that actually grew playing the game and could catch a ball that was available. He tried to copy dad without the chops to pull it off.

We lose lynch, mason, konate, diedheu next year ( the last two are an addition by subtraction)
We gain Oturu, kauleshaur, omersa, stockman, curry
Big men become a strength with depth -(barring unforeseen circumstances)

Pitinos not going anywhere with this class coming in - we are building for the future and pitino has shown he learns from his mistakes. He was a young coach learning the ropes and has had some missteps - if he repeats earlier mistakes then there would be cause to let him go - if you said we would be down 3 of our top 6 players this summer I would have said we would be exactly in the position we are in now.

So five years in and we still are building for the future?

This game really, really made me angry. From the point the Gophers were ahead 20-10, they got outscored 50-20 to get to a score of Gophers 40 Ohio State 60. That's effort, that's coaching, that's talent, that make you question everything about this team. The Ohio State comeback started with 2 really poor efforts from Nate Mason and then Isaiah Washington in getting around screens (both just stayed "stuck" on them and didn't even try to pretend like they were straining to get around it) which both lead to 3's. They were both in that 17-0 run and just for good measure another guy made like his 5th 3 all year during that run because it's the Gophers and that seems to always happen to us. At this point though, I am disappointed with Pitino for not doing more to try to stop the run, but I am more disappointed in the veteran players on the floor who were contributing to some very shaky offense leading to turnovers during that time period. Nate Mason can't be 4-13 with 2 assists and 2 turnovers against the tougher teams in the conference. Dupree can't be 3-9 from the field and 3-5 from the line with no assists against the tougher teams in the conference. We need both those guys to shoot 40% plus and make the type of winning plays you'd expect from a veteran backcourt that's started a ton of games. Murphy can't shoot under 50% from the floor and have just 5 rebounds while turning the ball over 3 times.

Now that I've talked about the "main" guys, holy s%^# did Bakary cost us today. When the game was like 11-13 points in the 2nd half, it would have been at worst a 5 point game if Bakary just grabbed a couple of routine rebounds and finished a routine bucket underneath on a nice look from Coffey. It was brutal to watch Ohio State get offensive boards that almost dropped completely in to Bakary's hands and he still doesn't corral them. Neither of these things are new problems, which brings me to the coaching.

Why on Earth is Pitino still insisting on having Bakary or Gas on the floor for the majority of the game? It's painfully obvious that they can't rebound their position and they provide as much negative value on the offensive end as any player possibly could. They congest the paint for Murphy, there guy can freely double, if they do get the ball it will usually end in a turnover or a missed shot, and both are risks for setting illegal screens. I don't understand why a decision wasn't made to go small. We're getting killed on the boards in every game post Lynch, so the traditional Center isn't working. I heard Pitino say he didn't want to move Murphy off the 4 because he's been playing so well (this was a few games ago), but why can't Fitzgerald be your "Center" on offense while Murphy stays at the 4? Spread the floor with four guys who are at least some type of threat from 3 and open up more driving lanes for Mason, McBrayer, and Washington when he plays. Spread the floor and make it more difficult for the double to come to Murphy down low.

I would like to be seeing more creativity coming from the coaching staff, and it's also a concern when the team gets undisciplined when they face adversity. The other issue is that it's really tough to make an argument that this is a "tough" team and they certainly don't play like a "skilled" team, and I feel like we are 5 years in to Pitino's tenure and I am not exactly sure what he wants the identity of his team to be.

Edit: Forgot to mention, what the Hell was Pitino doing putting Murphy back in to a 20 point game with less than 4 minutes to play? That couldn't be justified if he hadn't rolled his ankle earlier, but given that he did that bordered on being flat out insane.

It amazes me how many trolls think that we recruit like Michigan State and Ohio State and get 4 and 5 star kids at will. We are Minnesota. We get 2 and 3 star kids, with an occasional 4 star thrown in. When they lose players, they can put in the next 4 and 5 star. When we lose 3 of our top players, they depth just isn't there. Next year, we will start having some depth to work with.

I'm not sure what people's expectations are. In our situation, we should be able to contend for the Big Ten title once every 4 years. We should be in top 5, 2 out of 4 years, and the other 2 years are going to be rebuilding years.

$1.7 million annual salary, one NCAA game in five seasons.

It amazes me how many trolls think that we recruit like Michigan State and Ohio State and get 4 and 5 star kids at will. We are Minnesota. We get 2 and 3 star kids, with an occasional 4 star thrown in. When they lose players, they can put in the next 4 and 5 star. When we lose 3 of our top players, they depth just isn't there. Next year, we will start having some depth to work with.

I'm not sure what people's expectations are. In our situation, we should be able to contend for the Big Ten title once every 4 years. We should be in top 5, 2 out of 4 years, and the other 2 years are going to be rebuilding years.
This is what accepting mediocrity looks lke. This is the mindset that hit us into this mess to begin with. There is no reason we cannot attract the top players in the state. We should be attracting the 3 & 4 star players from the state. No year should be a scheduled rebuilding year. This is the mindset of accepting a coach who needs coaching training wheels or a coach who was a big deal at another school but not vetting his poor attitude which left a huge gap in our ability to recruit.

This is the mindset of people who thought Cheryl Littlejohn was qualified to coach the Women's team for four years, people who bought the Brewster bull****e and people who fought for ten years to keep from improving our facilities when they admitted they were ten years out of date at the start of the process.

This is the mindset that rejects a sense of urgency in our current situation. Let's start counting how many NIT binds we miss out and rationalize a sense of comfort and acceptance from that.

Probably one of the most ridiculous takes I've seen on GH.

Yeah, because the Gophers were so dominant against Arkansas, Nebraska, and Drake when they were only missing Curry. In their 6 Big Ten loses, the Gophers are shooting a mighty 31.3% from 3. Championship caliber! But just think if we add Curry and his mighty 17% 3 point accuracy to that! Devastating for our opponents! :rolleyes:

Hey, I can't help a person like yourself who chooses to live in a fantasy land of blissful ignorance. This team looks poorly-coached and is dropping fast in the efficiency rankings/standings. The defense was suspect even before Lynch went out. Yes, the injuries and suspension have derailed the season, but this team is looking less competitive than the one that only won 8 games. That's what is concerning. And it's year 5.

Thank you. Same group hated him until they won some early games and now he is horrible again. He definitely has a lot to learn but like most extremes the truth here lies in the middle. That being said as a season ticket holder this season started out with promise and it's difficult to feel like some of these players have packed it in.

Wonderful post, people seem to forget that before the ill game our rpi was 52nd lunardi had usout. The season up to that point had been disappointing.

QUOTE=GibsonSG;1507851]Yeah, because the Gophers were so dominant against

Arkansas, Nebraska, and Drake when they were only missing Curry. In their 6 Big Ten loses, the Gophers are shooting a mighty 31.3% from 3. Championship caliber! But just think if we add Curry and his mighty 17% 3 point accuracy to that! Devastating for our opponents! :rolleyes:

Hey, I can't help a person like yourself who chooses to live in a fantasy land of blissful ignorance. This team looks poorly-coached and is dropping fast in the efficiency rankings/standings. The defense was suspect even before Lynch went out. Yes, the injuries and suspension have derailed the season, but this team is looking less competitive than the one that only won 8 games. That's what is concerning. And it's year 5.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%, ask yourself would a coach even at Iowa or Wisconsin survive if after 5 years they were 30 games under .500 with 0 ncaa wins? As bad as licklighter was his conf winning % was .278 versus .329 for Pitino currently and I don’t expect it to go up. Not saying he was as bad as the lick but something to think about.

This is what accepting mediocrity looks lke. This is the mindset that hit us into this mess to begin with. There is no reason we cannot attract the top players in the state. We should be attracting the 3 & 4 star players from the state. No year should be a scheduled rebuilding year. This is the mindset of accepting a coach who needs coaching training wheels or a coach who was a big deal at another school but not vetting his poor attitude which left a huge gap in our ability to recruit.

This is the mindset of people who thought Cheryl Littlejohn was qualified to coach the Women's team for four years, people who bought the Brewster bull****e and people who fought for ten years to keep from improving our facilities when they admitted they were ten years out of date at the start of the process.

This is the mindset that rejects a sense of urgency in our current situation. Let's start counting how many NIT binds we miss out and rationalize a sense of comfort and acceptance from that.

I was surprised to see Minnesota's record was equal to Penn State's record over the last 5 years. That's not good...

Top Bottom