Game 8: Gophers Host Iowa (1-21-18)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
“It just can’t be the Megan show” said Hawkeye coach Lisa Bluder following Iowa’s (3-3) lost in Lincoln 65-74. Gustafson’s 29 points and 18 rebounds weren’t enough to offset a poor offensive showing by Iowa’s depleted guard corps. It’s becoming a trend. In the previous game, Iowa lost in Iowa City to Purdue 76-70 despite Gustafson’s 37 points and 14 rebound effort. Boiler guard, Andreona Keys provided the counter to Gustafson with a career high 34 points.

Previously the Hawkeyes prevailed after a struggle in Champaign 84-71 as Gustafson led the way with 34 points and 12 rebounds. This followed a loss at Maryland 80-64 where Gustafson was held to 15 points but still pulled down 15 rebounds.

The Hawkeyes opened the B1G season with a 56-46 win at Wisconsin powered by a 21point 16 rebound effort by Gustafson. And then Iowa won their best game of the conference season taking out Michigan 82-72 in Iowa City. Gustafson totaled 27 points and 11 rebounds while holding Thome to 7 points and 7 rebounds. Thome also fouled out in the battle of the bigs. Against Michigan, Gustafson was aided by Kathleen Doyle’s 23 points.

Of course, in the B1G, most coaches would love to have a “Megan Show” anchoring the offense. But who else will step up for the Hawkeyes? Iowa has played eight players in conference play; but only seven see significant time. 6’3” senior, Chase Coley, seems an obvious choice; but she’s settled into 9 point and 6 rebound per game territory. Kathleen Doyle (taking the controls after Tania Davis’s ACL) is certainly capable of a starring role and is averaging 11.8 points and 8.7 assists per game. Beyond that, Alexis Sevillian had a 21 point game versus Illinois. The options for Lisa Bluder, the longest tenured coach in the B1G, are limited. However, the Hawkeyes often finish the season with a flourish.

Iowa is shooting a very un-Hawkeye like 25-93 (.269) from three while allowing opponents to shoot 47-126 (.373). It should be a good day for the Gophers from beyond the arc.

In the B1G Iowa scores 70.17 points/game and gives up 69.88.

Starters (It’s a team with a surplus of forwards):

6’3” F Jr Megan Gustafson 27.2 points and 14.3 rebounds/game
5’9” G So Kathleen Doyle: 11.8 points and 8.7 assists/game
6’3” F Sr Chase Coley: 9.3 points and 6 rebounds/game
6’1” F Jr Carly Mohns
5’5” G Fr Alexis Sevillian 9.5 points/game

Others:

6’1” F So Amanda Ollinger
6’ 2” F Jr Hannah Stewart

I think the Gophers will match up pretty well with Iowa. Sure, Gustafson will probably go off for a career high even though we have 4 bigs we can throw at her (Lamke still on the team?), but if the Iowa perimeter is as weak as reported, there's probably not much they can do to stop the Gopher perimeter offense, other than to hope for off nights for multiple players.

Might this be the game that Stollings considers starting both Edwards and Bello? I dunno.... probably not.

Might this be the game that Stollings considers starting both Edwards and Bello? I dunno.... probably not.

I agree. Versus Michigan State's two 6'4 starters, Cooks and Allen, Stollings stayed with four guards. It worked. Cooks picked up three fouls in the first half and Allen picked up a couple of quick ones early in the second half. One difference is that Cooks is a freshman and Coley is a senior. Of course, Cooks and Allen combined aren't the offensive threat Gustafson is.

A couple of other Iowa notes:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...tafson-ill-be-back-for-senior-season-20180119

The way Megan Gustafson is trending these days, it warranted the question at the Iowa Hawkeyes’ press conference Friday afternoon:

Will you be back next year, Megan?

“I’ll be back,” she said, adding she was “100-percent sure” of that. “I definitely want to finish my time here.”

A 6-foot-3 junior post from Port Wing, Wis., Gustafson has blossomed into a legitimate all-American candidate, and could leave as one of the best ever to wear an Iowa jersey...

'...She said Friday that she does have pro aspirations after her senior season is complete, whether it’s the WNBA, something overseas, or both.

...While Gustafson vowed to return, Carly Mohns — a redshirt junior who is on track to graduate in the spring — is likely to leave after this season.

“It’s still up in the air, but right now I don’t believe (I’ll be back),” she said.

Mohns has undergone five surgeries on her left knee. She is a sports management major who would like to get into coaching.

She has started the last two games, the first two starts of her career.

http://daily-iowan.com/2018/01/19/hawkeyes-try-to-right-the-ship/

“I know Nebraska beat Minnesota at Minnesota,” Bluder said in a release. “So obviously, if you look at the two tough teams this week, we probably have the tougher one over. I hate to say that because Minnesota can score at will. But they have three guards who play 40 minutes as we do. They can score like crazy, so we will have to bring our defensive savvy to this game.”

If they're asking if she's coming back, that must mean she qualifies to declare early? Can anybody find her birthdate?

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ense-hawkeyes-look-get-back-track/1050873001/

Only 12 teams in the country have attempted more treys than Minnesota’s 498. Only five teams in the country have made more than the Gophers’ 186.

“We need to focus on making sure we cover the 3-point shooters, but we can run on them I think,” said senior Chase Coley, a Minneapolis native. “That’s what we’ve been doing on teams all season.”

The Hawkeyes are averaging close to 80 points per game this season themselves, but that number has been around 70 through six conference games. Bluder said “there’s a chance” that injured sophomore Makenzie Meyer (hand) returns Sunday, which would significantly help Iowa’s currently-thin backcourt.

Pitts with an early 2 fouls finally forced Stollings to play Bello and Edwards at the same time.

20-19 Iowa end of first

I'm liking the man defense.

3 fouls on Pitts early in the second. Nice going, Stollings.

Pitts with an early 2 fouls finally forced Stollings to play Bello and Edwards at the same time.

Not sure what was wrong with Edwards...too much caffeine? looked shaky...ok first half by Gophs I guess...considering Wagner is forcing up junk and Bell is back to being a turnover machine...glad Fernstrom gave some solid minutes...if she had the half Edwards did, she'd be in Stollings Pit of Misery...probably never to be seen again...dilly dilly...lets hope we keep attacking at Gustafson..best way to deal with her is get her in foul trouble...disappointed again a couple times with Wagner and Bells defense...but Bell did have a couple nice assists

I just don't understand why they don't hold for the last shot of the quarter. Luckily Iowa shot an airball to end the quarter.

I just don't understand why they don't hold for the last shot of the quarter. Luckily Iowa shot an airball to end the quarter.

makes all to much sense...just like getting two quick steals and missing both transition layups taking maybe 12 seconds off the clock while up 8? can drive ya nuts sometimes

Like I keep saying. It's all about balance. 23 pts between Bello and Fernstrom along with 16 rebounds playing together alot. Only an idiot would keep messing with the post rotation. It's Fernstrom and Bello. Period. How much more proof does anyone need? We're a better team when that's working. Fernstrom's scoring ceiling is higher and her defense is no less than Edwards. Carlie and Bell don't need 40 a piece when we're balanced. Hopefully Stollings gets it, but that's what I said after the MS game also. Also, note we only took like 15 threes and still won. Today's formula is what we should stick with!

Now they can go into a 9-day break (seems super long in conference) feeling good. :)

It was really fun to see the Gophers actually playing defense. Is it me or did that practice with Whalen/Banham help a lot in that regard (and, yes, I know neither was exactly a defensive machine in college but both have improved in that area)?
Although I remain skeptical of the impression the Gophers are going to make on the NCAA tournament selection committee, if that committee really does require a team to show something in OOC, this definitely goes down as a good win. Assuming the Gophers get to 21 or 22 wins overall, is it enough?

Random thoughts. Pitts could not seem to stay on the court and that hurt the Gophers. Thankfully, Bello stepped up with a double-double. The Gophers had some people who didn't shoot well at all today. Edwards 1 of 8. Hubbard 0 of 9. Wagner at one time in the game was 3 of 12, but I'm glad she kept shooting as she came up with some key baskets down the stretch. Kaposi with some quality minutes today. Seems like the refs leveled the playing field today with some calls that favored Iowa. I wish the referees in women's basketball would learn what constitutes a charging call and what constitutes a blocking foul. The ratio in women's basketball leans too heavily toward the defender, who often has her feet moving. Bell was a victim of one of those calls today. Iowa might have been a Top 25 team, but after watching them today, I'm convinced the Gophers are a better team. Iowa has some very weak links who get a lot of playing time and they are no longer the 3-point shooting team we've grown accustomed to. Gustafson is a very good player. Gophers did a decent job of containing her today. Doyle is also a nice player. Gopher defense was OK, except for the give-and-go plays down the lane. Iowa must have scored on about a half-dozen of these. Not a good time for a long break for the Gophers as they seem to be playing well and they don't seem to have a lot of injuries. Not holding the ball at the end of the third quarter was on Wagner. I noticed that Stollings pulled her aside at the end of the quarter and they had a brief discussion. Fernstrom with a solid game today, and I actually favor her over Edwards in the post, but we still shouldn't confuse her with the second coming of AZB. Bell's athleticism was a big factor today, as was Bello's. Bell is still more turnover prone than I'd like her to be, but she is the catalyst for this team and she can make things happen, good and bad. It helps that she is a solid free throw shooter and she also seems to know that she has teammates who are better 3-point shooters than she is. She was very good on the boards today.

Man, that was fun. Pitts got some attention from Iowa. Colley couldn't guard her on the perimeter (Pitts had three of Minnesota's four three pointers and totaled 11 points in 11 minutes). So, with the Gophers playing man, in the second half Bluder constantly forced Pitts to guard on the block. There was general celebration on the Iowa bench when Pitts picked up her fourth foul. Still, Stollings stretched the defense late by subbing in Pitts

Today's stars were Fernstrom, Edwards and Taiye Bello. Their physical play controlled Gustafson-something that few have accomplished this season. Neither team wanted to give up threes, so the guards and most of the battle went inside. Taiye Bello's nine rebounds and 12 points were a source of consternation for the Hawkeyes. I don't think Taiye was on their radar.

And a hat tip to Kiki and Carlie for knocking down the end of game free throws. Both teams were pretty well spent by the end of the game.

Yes it would have been much easier if we could've knocked down some pull up jumpers; but this was a great way to end the first half of the B1G season.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded)

40 Wagner
40 Hubbard
39 Bell
27 Fernstrom
23 Taiye Bello
13 Edwards
11 Pitts

6 Kaposi
1 Brunson

First time back in the Barn for a WBB in quite some time. Somewhat neutral fan (Gopher lean) as an Iowa State alumni but thought this would be a good game. Was not disappointed, this was very entertaining. Was somewhat surprised at first to see Fernstrom getting so many minutes but thought she was key in putting a body on Gustafson and keeping her from getting the position she wanted. For a gal with a 1/2" vertical she still had the size and reach to disrupt things. Was happy for her having such a good game (soft spot for ex-Cyclones and all). Sure, Megan, got her double double again but didn't go off for 35 and 20 or something.

Misc neutral guy observations: (1) If I watched every game I fear I'd want to strangle Bell. Dumbass turnovers. (2) Little surprised to see how much Wagner seems to be struggling from the field. (3) Not a great crowd by size* but damn, they did get LOUD at the end in crunch time. (4) Iowa needs a reliable three point threat. (5) Had fun, will have to drop in more often.

*Still a top notch fan base and WAY better than 90% of the home venues for WBB.

It was a big win today. I enjoy the Fernstrom comment on the 1/2" vertical from a prior post, as that is what she appears to have. I suspect that vertical might have been the same when Bry was at Iowa State, too. If she had a bit more elevation, we could have that great post player we all want the Gophers to have.

While post by committee is not enjoyed by all, it is what we have this season. We are making it work, although it is hard to understand sometimes.

Speaking of attendance, fans that are normally behind us 10 rows back at center court said on Thursday night they wouldn't be there as they would be "preparing" for the Vikings game. As a long suffering Vikings fan, I had a whole lot more fun at the Barn today than I suspect they had.

It was really fun to see the Gophers actually playing defense. Is it me or did that practice with Whalen/Banham help a lot in that regard (and, yes, I know neither was exactly a defensive machine in college but both have improved in that area)?

Neither are known for defense. I guess Reeve shows up for practice too. It could be the coaching staff is realizing defense really does matter. It would have been nice to have the system in place before the season instead of being a work in progress late in the season.

Although I remain skeptical of the impression the Gophers are going to make on the NCAA tournament selection committee, if that committee really does require a team to show something in OOC, this definitely goes down as a good win. Assuming the Gophers get to 21 or 22 wins overall, is it enough?

This was a HUGE win. The Gophers bumped up to #40 in RPI and the SOS improved to #83. I'd feel comfortable in the low 30's RPI at the end of the season.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...stgame_quotes/postgame_quotes_20180122aaa.pdf

Minnesota Head Coach Marlene Stollings

Opening statement:

“Credit to Iowa, they threw absolutely everything at us that they could. They had a bye this
week, so they had some extra prep days for us. They threw a lot of things defensively at us, and
even some defensive things that I’m not even quite sure what you would call it. I’m really
pleased with the maturity of our team, our veterans and how they handled the moment of that,
and just figuring out openings and figuring out where to pick them apart at certain times in the
game. Also, really pleased with our defense. I thought we were very solid defensively. We
figured out some things in the first half and at halftime, and we come out in the third quarter and
hold them to 14 points, which was arguably the difference in the entire game. I really like how
we are coachable with that, and we were rock solid at the free-throw line, 11 of 12 in the second
half alone.”

On how it felt to defeat No. 20 Iowa:

“It was awesome here at home, we have great success at home. The last time we upset a top25
team was Ohio State in 2016. It felt really good to get another top-25 win here at home. We
have two more top-25 teams coming here in February, Michigan and Maryland, so those are
exciting opportunities for us, as our team loves to perform her in front of these awesome fans,
they really helped us along the way.”

On the performance of Kenisha Bell:

“Two things I am most proud of with Keke today is her rebounding, she leads us with 11 as a
point guard, and her will and desire and heart in terms of wanting to win the game. I never saw
her waver one ounce, and that’s maturity. We’re looking at someone who’s going to be a pro
one day, and I thought she handled the game throughout as a pro. She was very poised the
entire time, she didn’t waver, ups and downs of the game, and that’s something that we have
been wanting from Keke consistently. I thought that she did that tonight at the highest level.

The Carlie-Oop made the game highlights. I wonder how they signal that play. It's a timing play.

Top Bottom