Official Isaiah Washington Overreaction Thread

I understand why everyone thinks he's gonna transfer, but at this point obviously he's gonna have to win the job next year(I hope we bring in some competition) but where else is he gonna get a better offer than to be a starting point guard in the big ten? If it were you, would you transfer?

He isn't a starting PG in the Big Ten. He is a rarely used bench player in the Big Ten. He plays less than anyone else in the rotation right now.

I wouldn't have gone to Minnesota in the first place if I was IW...but I'm not. I don't want him to transfer, I just think he will.

Geno Crandall

UND's Geno Crandall would be such a perfect fit for next season. Excellent size (6-4) for a PG, he's a proven Division I player, and it doesn't hurt that he's played in a NCAA Tournament and performed well (12 points & 6 assists vs. Arizona in 1st-round tourney loss). If he's graduating in 4 years, wonder if he has any interest in becoming a graduate transfer for the Gophers. He'd be the starting PG from the get-go.

UND's Geno Crandall would be such a perfect fit for next season. Excellent size (6-4) for a PG, he's a proven Division I player, and it doesn't hurt that he's played in a NCAA Tournament and performed well (12 points & 6 assists vs. Arizona in 1st-round tourney loss). If he's graduating in 4 years, wonder if he has any interest in becoming a graduate transfer for the Gophers. He'd be the starting PG from the get-go.

Good suggestion!

PG Crandall
SG McBrayer
W Coffey
PF Murphy
P Curry

A good starting point, but depth again would be the question, even without injuries. Not prudent to assume freshmen (especially 3 of 'em) will step right in and make huge impact, nor expect Stockman to do much, though I sure hope he'd be an improvement off the bench over what we've had at that position.

I assumed it because to say who we will be getting or what position makes no sense. I didn't say we won't get anyone, I am very confident Richard will get someone, but it may be another post which doesn't change our guard situation. No one knows what we will be getting so you can't assume its a starting caliber PG.

I'm assuming that Pitino will try to get someone for an immediate need and the most immediate need is another point guard (perhaps another small forward as a secondary need). That's what he did in the past with the exception of Stockman (and my personal view is that transfer wouldn't have happened without the influence of the father which should no longer be an issue).

PG Crandall
SG McBrayer
W Coffey
PF Murphy
P Curry

nor expect Stockman to do much, though I sure hope he'd be an improvement off the bench over what we've had at that position.

I don't see how he couldn't be. Konate and Gas still don't have a very good grasp of the game and their skills are behind where they should be. Those deficiencies usually aren't the criticisms against European players. Usually criticisms against European players have to do with athleticism, strength, and aggressiveness.

I'm assuming that Pitino will try to get someone for an immediate need and the most immediate need is another point guard (perhaps another small forward as a secondary need). That's what he did in the past with the exception of Stockman (and my personal view is that transfer wouldn't have happened without the influence of the father which should no longer be an issue).

Try as he might, there is no guarantees a capable PG grad transfer wants to come here. Would be nice obviously but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Everyone calm down. If BK could catch a lot of those turnovers turn into assists. Folks forget but it took Mason a while to develop the 3.

He will end up being a solid 4 year PG.

It’s not his fault we lost Curry and Lynch and lost bench depth. Pitino was likely not counting on his production, rather his development.

RELAX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try as he might, there is no guarantees a capable PG grad transfer wants to come here. Would be nice obviously but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Yes, grad transfer point guards will be in demand. There's always junior college transfers and some non-grad transfers who are able to play right away because of special circumstances. Recall that in the summer after being hired, Pitino was able to get a point guard who was very good example of the first category and also was able to get a player in the second category (King).

IW can be a very good player for this team; however, he's got to earn it. If he decides to bail (which I advise against after only one year) then Coffey is going to see some major run at PG next year, as will JH.

According to a reports from a behind a paywall site this can't happen due to Crandall not having enough credits to graduate in time...comes from who most consider the most reliable gopher hoops media source.

I've been defending Washington all year and I still think he has a ton of talent. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't transfer at this point.

He wants a system where he can be the guy, play freely and attack whenever he wants. That might not be anywhere in a power 5 conference. I haven't seen McKinley Wright play this year but I feel like he has a lot more freedoms (and has performed better with them) so I could see IW looking for a situation like that.

Recently, he has started making subtle and not to subtle posts on Instagram including one about how he regrets Nov 11th...which is the day he signed with the Gophers. That doesn't bode well long-term if Pitino or anyone expects him to be a part of the program next season.

Without him in the fold, and assuming no late signees/transfers who are eligible to play right away, the Gophers PG situation for 18-19 is a combination of: McBrayer, Coffey, Kalscheur and Harris. I suppose Rudrud and Conroy are back as well. Personally, I don't love not having a true PG on the floor but I'm not sure Washington is a true PG so not really sure what the big "loss" is in that sense.

I hope I'm way off here. His body language on the bench has been better but his on floor production is horrible. Missing easy shots, a ton of turnovers per minute played and seems to lack confidence. I thought he might get a shot in the arm being back in NYC but clearly he didn't or didn't have the minutes to prove he was ready for more.

At this point I'd ride Harris and have him play some PG to see if he can do it. Figure out if he can be a primary ball handler next year. If he can, then you don't need Washington (though I'd still prefer to have him on the team)

Harris is a shooting guard only according to some so he can’t play that ever.

I’d like to see Pitino go after a jc guy for pg depth at this point. A freshman isn’t going to cut it.

According to a reports from a behind a paywall site this can't happen due to Crandall not having enough credits to graduate in time...comes from who most consider the most reliable gopher hoops media source.

That's good news for the Sioux if he's not on track to finish!

He is a great player.

That rediculous jelly rolll will never work on any Power 5 team. It's still early but the guy needs to look in the mirror.

I've been defending Washington all year and I still think he has a ton of talent. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't transfer at this point.

He wants a system where he can be the guy, play freely and attack whenever he wants. That might not be anywhere in a power 5 conference. I haven't seen McKinley Wright play this year but I feel like he has a lot more freedoms (and has performed better with them) so I could see IW looking for a situation like that.

Recently, he has started making subtle and not to subtle posts on Instagram including one about how he regrets Nov 11th...which is the day he signed with the Gophers. That doesn't bode well long-term if Pitino or anyone expects him to be a part of the program next season.

Without him in the fold, and assuming no late signees/transfers who are eligible to play right away, the Gophers PG situation for 18-19 is a combination of: McBrayer, Coffey, Kalscheur and Harris. I suppose Rudrud and Conroy are back as well. Personally, I don't love not having a true PG on the floor but I'm not sure Washington is a true PG so not really sure what the big "loss" is in that sense.

I hope I'm way off here. His body language on the bench has been better but his on floor production is horrible. Missing easy shots, a ton of turnovers per minute played and seems to lack confidence. I thought he might get a shot in the arm being back in NYC but clearly he didn't or didn't have the minutes to prove he was ready for more.

At this point I'd ride Harris and have him play some PG to see if he can do it. Figure out if he can be a primary ball handler next year. If he can, then you don't need Washington (though I'd still prefer to have him on the team)

That would set us up for another disappointing non-NCAA season. Pitino better hope he can stumble upon another Deandre Mathieu.

From a Dana O'Neil article in The Athletic-- not specifically talking about how to handle not playing, but it fits this situation.

"As Kris Jenkins launched a buzzer-beating, program-changing, national championship-winning 3-pointer, the lone McDonald’s All-American on the Villanova roster watched from the bench. This was not the way it was supposed to be. The work, work, work reward did not include a bench view of the final 4.7 seconds of the 2016 title game. “Hell no, he wasn’t happy,’’ Wright says. Yet instead of being disappointed with the attitude of his then freshman point guard, Wright praised it. The disappointment with ceding the court to Ryan Arcidiacono and Phil Booth in that moment and playing Robin to Arcidiacono’s Batman all season never made Jalen a malcontent. It turns out the reward for all of Rick’s relentless preparation wasn’t playing time; it was Jalen’s ability to accept things even if he didn’t like them. “It wasn’t about taking a backseat to Ryan,’’ he says. “It was about doing what was best for the team, which ended up making me a better player.’’"

and I like Dana O'Neil, but I am having a hard time getting past the fact that she was very quick to jump on the U administration and Pitino for letting Reggie play but has yet to say anything negative about MSU letting child molestation go on for 15 years. Nothing but how great Izzo is articles from her

Observations from MSG. It was clear that we were losing and losing big, yet Pitino wouldn’t put him in. The Jelly Fam sitting behind me and throughout the stands wanted to see IW play. When you’re down 20 does it really matter if he plays or not? Being there and seeing Pitino’s look when he heard the yelling for Jelly was very telling. Seeing the eye rolls from IW when he didn’t get in is also telling. There is something going on there and when you watch it while actually at the game it’s very discouraging. At least give the guy a shot to succeed or fail in MSG. He can’t do it from the bench.

Observations from MSG. It was clear that we were losing and losing big, yet Pitino wouldn’t put him in. The Jelly Fam sitting behind me and throughout the stands wanted to see IW play. When you’re down 20 does it really matter if he plays or not? Being there and seeing Pitino’s look when he heard the yelling for Jelly was very telling. Seeing the eye rolls from IW when he didn’t get in is also telling. There is something going on there and when you watch it while actually at the game it’s very discouraging. At least give the guy a shot to succeed or fail in MSG. He can’t do it from the bench.

The kid has 3 more years to show New York that he can run a B1G offense. This ain't New York playground ball.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's got all the tools not sure his experience thus far has really prepared him to run an offense, in the non conference part of the schedule he was penetrating and finding the open man, there were a couple of times the ball just bounced off of Konate's chest because he wasn't expecting it, not seeing those types of passes in the conference part of the schedule, maybe the competition is just that much quicker and he needs time to adjust to the game.

Confidence is definitely an issue and possession's are so much more of a factor in B1G game that maybe it impacts how he is playing the game.

why would he transfer? He would not get a starting role in any other Top 5 conference program. MN is it.

It would be unwise to transfer.

He really needs to be a pass first guard - play hard defense and the offense will eventually take care of it self - hopefully next year they will get back to a defensive identity - he’ll have 4 bigs with good hands next year to pass to.

Developing a respectable floater would work wonders for IW.

He's having a tough time getting his shot off at the rim without any semblance of an in between game.

He is having a tough time because he's probably 5'10" and the guys guarding him are just a quick. He doesn't have the fundamentals. That could change no question.

We don't know how hard he works in practice but his recent game performance hasn't been good at all. Wild shots, turnovers and lazy defensive. IW doesn't deserve getting anymore playing time at this point. If he thinks he would better off somewhere else hope he lets the team know asap.

In a season that is OVER, I find it odd that Pitino isn't giving IW more run, regardless of how bad IW has been. He's the only PG on the roster for 2019, end of story.

All I can say about IW is this... good luck finding a PG with better handles, and who is quicker. You can't teach those skills. College players typically become better shooters (scorers) as their careers go on. Undoubtedly, he will be a better facilitator when there are better players around him.

I'll never pretend to know what is going on in the locker room, in practice, and everything else within the program, but I hope there are a lot of good reasons for his lack of playing time in the past few games. To everyone who continues to write, "he's gotta earn it", what are your plans at PG for 2018-19? In some instances, you've gotta give a player playing time whether you like it or not.

Regardless, I hope Pitino has a backup plan in place for next season.

In a season that is OVER, I find it odd that Pitino isn't giving IW more run, regardless of how bad IW has been. He's the only PG on the roster for 2019, end of story.

All I can say about IW is this... good luck finding a PG with better handles, and who is quicker. You can't teach those skills. College players typically become better shooters (scorers) as their careers go on. Undoubtedly, he will be a better facilitator when there are better players around him.

I'll never pretend to know what is going on in the locker room, in practice, and everything else within the program, but I hope there are a lot of good reasons for his lack of playing time in the past few games. To everyone who continues to write, "he's gotta earn it", what are your plans at PG for 2018-19? In some instances, you've gotta give a player playing time whether you like it or not.

Regardless, I hope Pitino has a backup plan in place for next season.

Well stated.

If Pitino is extremely confident Jelly is coming back next season, as poor as he's played it still doesn't make a lot of sense how little PT he's getting. This season's ceiling is now the NIT, so it seems the best thing to do is put him in there and let him take some (a lot) lumps. As you said, he's "it" next season at the PG spot.

On the other hand, if Pitino already knows he's as good as gone, there's no need to play him, and it'd make complete sense why Harris is getting the bulk of the guard minutes off the bench (not to mention Harris is contributing more).

Top Bottom