Official Isaiah Washington Overreaction Thread

sirloin1078

Reaction score
Considering the Gophers are three players down, how is it that Isaiah Washington is now buried on the bench? At this point, shouldn't there at least be some focus on his development going forward? At this point, I'm almost expecting a transfer announcement after the season ends.

He's been a terrible shooter to date; makes bad decisions and turns the ball over. No reason he should be playing much (as is the case with most freshman). He'll be ok and I look for much improved play and lots of playing time next year if he sticks around. If he transfers, we'll find someone better.

He's been a terrible shooter to date; makes bad decisions and turns the ball over. No reason he should be playing much (as is the case with most freshman). He'll be ok and I look for much improved play and lots of playing time next year if he sticks around. If he transfers, we'll find someone better.

I have no idea what Pitino or the Assistant coaches are like in practice, but you think they would have a honest talk with him about how he needs to pass more and shoot less. If they have had that talk, then he probably won’t play much more until he can demonstrate that.

Playing time has to be earned. Showing favoritism to IW given his major shooting volume and efficiency issues would undermine credibility of the coaching staff.

IW has much to learn but has a skill set you can't teach. Next year he's almost certainly tabbed as the starting PG and therein lies his big chance.

It does seem as if Pitino has a 'doghouse' for certain players. Harris went through a stretch where he barely saw the floor - now he's starting and getting praise from the Coach. Now, Washington appears to be in the doghouse. As noted, we're not at practice - we don't see what goes on at practice or how players react to criticism/instruction from the coaches.

Just noting that playing team seems to fluctuate for certain players. Hopefully Pitino knows what he's doing and knows how to handle players to keep them on board with the program.

If there is a Pitino doghouse, why aren't Mason & McBrayer in it?

When each shoots 25% or under in a game, we lose.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Considering the Gophers are three players down, how is it that Isaiah Washington is now buried on the bench? At this point, shouldn't there at least be some focus on his development going forward? At this point, I'm almost expecting a transfer announcement after the season ends.

Apparently we're not allowed to discuss this.

Without talking about his potential and what he may turn into, he is so incredibly bad right now. He hasn't earned 1 minute. Just putrid

When each shoots 25% or under in a game, we lose.

Well- I guess you answered your own question there. Obviously we can't win without them playing well. Your plan is to bench them?

Well- I guess you answered your own question there. Obviously we can't win without them playing well. Your plan is to bench them?
My plan is to play the shooters with the hottest hands even if it is for five or ten minute stretches.

It's hard to say what the conversations are on the practice court, in the locker room, or in the coach's office....all we can look at is IW's production this year. I'm guessing that Pitino has giving IW a similar rule to Hurt, we just want you to play hard defensively and pass the ball, we have enough guys that can score (Hurt was quoted with similar comments early in the season, believe it was rebound instead of passing). IW hasn't stopped shooting and Pitino is finally choosing to use the bench as his leverage. Just a guess. If this is the case, it's too bad he didn't do this when the team was full strength and playing well, then IW may be productive right now.

Roster numbers. Our roster does not allow for much room in the doghouse.

It does seem as if Pitino has a 'doghouse' for certain players.

I'd say that "it does seem" is an understatement. For example, Eliason, Morris, Buggs, and Gilbert. I think it's too early to tell whether Washington's status is as enduring as some of the others.

Playing time has to be earned. Showing favoritism to IW given his major shooting volume and efficiency issues would undermine credibility of the coaching staff.

IW has much to learn but has a skill set you can't teach. Next year he's almost certainly tabbed as the starting PG and therein lies his big chance.

Although I am not his biggest fan, I think he should play more than he has the past two games. He does bring a physical dimension to his play that some of our players (e.g., Hurt and Fitzgerald) appear to be lacking.

I disagree with the degree of confidence expressed in your last sentence. I can't imagine not trying to bring in another point guard as a hedge against Washington's downside.

I disagree with the degree of confidence expressed in your last sentence. I can't imagine not trying to bring in another point guard as a hedge against Washington's downside.

I anticape improvement next year, but he has a long way to go. At a min. they will be on the look out for options.

Too bad Jarvis isn't an option.

I don't think it's that complicated. The kid's just not good at real basketball. If you want to see some hot sauce on the And 1 tour, he's probably your man.

I'd say that "it does seem" is an understatement. For example, Eliason, Morris, Buggs, and Gilbert. I think it's too early to tell whether Washington's status is as enduring as some of the others.

Could it be that he just wants to play the kids that give him the best chance to win basketball games, as opposed to some strange personal grudge against a 18-20 year old kid? I mean, just look at the players you listed there. All terrible.

Sorry! I just think five years from now people will still be posting hoping Jarvis is our point guard lol

So moral of the story is next time I don't want to hear a recruit being hyped up as the 2nd coming of god before he even gets to campus. We know how that normally works out.

He will start after he sits out a year at his new college.

Could it be that he just wants to play the kids that give him the best chance to win basketball games, as opposed to some strange personal grudge against a 18-20 year old kid? I mean, just look at the players you listed there. All terrible.

I don't agree that they were all terrible. Furthermore, the appropriate talent evaluation is whether they should have played or not considering the other players on the roster. Elliot, who was a better defensive center than many on this board will admit, clearly should have played before Konate and/or Gas when they were freshman but for the later part of his senior year (including senior day), he played little or not at all. Buggs surely should have gotten more minutes on that godawful 8 win team than he did for a long stretch. He had to play at the end but only because they had few scholarship players available.

I've been defending Washington all year and I still think he has a ton of talent. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't transfer at this point.

He wants a system where he can be the guy, play freely and attack whenever he wants. That might not be anywhere in a power 5 conference. I haven't seen McKinley Wright play this year but I feel like he has a lot more freedoms (and has performed better with them) so I could see IW looking for a situation like that.

Recently, he has started making subtle and not to subtle posts on Instagram including one about how he regrets Nov 11th...which is the day he signed with the Gophers. That doesn't bode well long-term if Pitino or anyone expects him to be a part of the program next season.

Without him in the fold, and assuming no late signees/transfers who are eligible to play right away, the Gophers PG situation for 18-19 is a combination of: McBrayer, Coffey, Kalscheur and Harris. I suppose Rudrud and Conroy are back as well. Personally, I don't love not having a true PG on the floor but I'm not sure Washington is a true PG so not really sure what the big "loss" is in that sense.

I hope I'm way off here. His body language on the bench has been better but his on floor production is horrible. Missing easy shots, a ton of turnovers per minute played and seems to lack confidence. I thought he might get a shot in the arm being back in NYC but clearly he didn't or didn't have the minutes to prove he was ready for more.

At this point I'd ride Harris and have him play some PG to see if he can do it. Figure out if he can be a primary ball handler next year. If he can, then you don't need Washington (though I'd still prefer to have him on the team)

Without him in the fold, and assuming no late signees/transfers who are eligible to play right away, the Gophers PG situation for 18-19 is a combination of: McBrayer, Coffey, Kalscheur and Harris.

Why would you ever assume that there will be no late signees or transfers? I would assume the opposite. There is one scholarship available now and there's a pretty good possibility of at least one more opening (even if Washington stays, there is a fair chance of Fitzgerald, who very likely could play right away even if the transfer rules aren't changed, transferring). Pitino picked up Stockman late last season, Springs the season before, and Murphy the season before that. Shortly after he was hired, Pitino picked up King and brought two players who either played or were committed to his former team (FIU) and all three were able to play right away. He tried for a third but the NCAA wouldn't allow that player to play right away.

I've been defending Washington all year and I still think he has a ton of talent. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't transfer at this point.

He wants a system where he can be the guy, play freely and attack whenever he wants. That might not be anywhere in a power 5 conference. I haven't seen McKinley Wright play this year but I feel like he has a lot more freedoms (and has performed better with them) so I could see IW looking for a situation like that.

Recently, he has started making subtle and not to subtle posts on Instagram including one about how he regrets Nov 11th...which is the day he signed with the Gophers. That doesn't bode well long-term if Pitino or anyone expects him to be a part of the program next season.

Without him in the fold, and assuming no late signees/transfers who are eligible to play right away, the Gophers PG situation for 18-19 is a combination of: McBrayer, Coffey, Kalscheur and Harris. I suppose Rudrud and Conroy are back as well. Personally, I don't love not having a true PG on the floor but I'm not sure Washington is a true PG so not really sure what the big "loss" is in that sense.

I hope I'm way off here. His body language on the bench has been better but his on floor production is horrible. Missing easy shots, a ton of turnovers per minute played and seems to lack confidence. I thought he might get a shot in the arm being back in NYC but clearly he didn't or didn't have the minutes to prove he was ready for more.

At this point I'd ride Harris and have him play some PG to see if he can do it. Figure out if he can be a primary ball handler next year. If he can, then you don't need Washington (though I'd still prefer to have him on the team)

I understand why everyone thinks he's gonna transfer, but at this point obviously he's gonna have to win the job next year(I hope we bring in some competition) but where else is he gonna get a better offer than to be a starting point guard in the big ten? If it were you, would you transfer?

If washington does transfer i want a true point guard in the mix. I dont want, nor do the gophers need a mixed bag at point guard. Thats not what we brought harris in for.

I understand why everyone thinks he's gonna transfer, but at this point obviously he's gonna have to win the job next year(I hope we bring in some competition) but where else is he gonna get a better offer than to be a starting point guard in the big ten? If it were you, would you transfer?

Maybe. As you said, he has to win the job and, if Pitino brings someone else in as I would expect him to do, that makes the starting possibility more uncertain. If Washington wants to play closer to home, he has lots of possibilities.

Seriously guys. Where would Washington transfer to be the man? He would have to go to a small, small school to be a dominant player. Would that feed his ego? Scoring 25 points in front of 400 fans?

Why would you ever assume that there will be no late signees or transfers? I would assume the opposite. There is one scholarship available now and there's a pretty good possibility of at least one more opening (even if Washington stays, there is a fair chance of Fitzgerald, who very likely could play right away even if the transfer rules aren't changed, transferring). Pitino picked up Stockman late last season, Springs the season before, and Murphy the season before that. Shortly after he was hired, Pitino picked up King and brought two players who either played or were committed to his former team (FIU) and all three were able to play right away. He tried for a third but the NCAA wouldn't allow that player to play right away.

I assumed it because to say who we will be getting or what position makes no sense. I didn't say we won't get anyone, I am very confident Richard will get someone, but it may be another post which doesn't change our guard situation. No one knows what we will be getting so you can't assume its a starting caliber PG.

Top Bottom