New Redshirt Rule

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"The new rule would allow players to play in up to four games — any four games — and retain their redshirt."

Wow! I really like this change to the RS rule going forward!

I'd much rather have this than the idiotic transfer rule being proposed.

So guessing perhaps the last 3-4 games of the year to take care of an injury position and also the bowl game.

I also think this is a good change which seems to be the consensus so far. Nothing worse than burned by redshirts due to injury. Plus if you get someone that figures things out they have a chance to play.

Love this rule. When Croft was struggling late in the season last year they could have tried Morgan and not lost eligibility. Maybe he wouldn't have been an improvement, but the QB play was so bad it wouldn't have hurt to give him a shot.

Also allows teams to play Freshmen in blowout games without wasting the red shirts. It doesn't happen often, but if we have a huge lead against a not good team, I'm all for playing freshmen to get the real game experience. Especially those who are good enough to be on the depth chart. We had a few times this year where there was a freshman on the chart that we didn't play, even though they were good enough, to preserve the red shirt. Now that won't be as much of a concern.

This is somewhat related. What is the maximum game each player is allowed to play? Is it 48 games in 5 years?

Also allows teams to play Freshmen in blowout games without wasting the red shirts. It doesn't happen often, but if we have a huge lead against a not good team, I'm all for playing freshmen to get the real game experience. Especially those who are good enough to be on the depth chart. We had a few times this year where there was a freshman on the chart that we didn't play, even though they were good enough, to preserve the red shirt. Now that won't be as much of a concern.

Teams do not go deep into their benches when up by a large margin. Look back to last year vs. Neb. as an example. Green could have been given some time at QB during the 4th quarter, but it never happened as well as many other back up players. I know that is only one example, but it happens quite often. For some reason at the college level, playing reserves once up big doesn't happen as often as it should.

I believe this will expand the number of players (seniors/NFL ready players) who decide not to participate in the bowl game.

This is somewhat related. What is the maximum game each player is allowed to play? Is it 48 games in 5 years?

So a guy has to sit out play-off games his Senior year if he goes over? Makes no sense.

I don't believe their is a maximum. I think with today's rules the most games you could play in four years is 52, but could be more if you medically redshirt. That is assuming you played in 2 playoff games each year and a conference championship game each year.

For example, Case Keenum played in 57 games while at Houston. I am not a great Houston football mind, but know he medically redshirted while in college. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/case-keenum-1/gamelog/

Teams do not go deep into their benches when up by a large margin. Look back to last year vs. Neb. as an example. Green could have been given some time at QB during the 4th quarter, but it never happened as well as many other back up players. I know that is only one example, but it happens quite often. For some reason at the college level, playing reserves once up big doesn't happen as often as it should.

I believe this will expand the number of players (seniors/NFL ready players) who decide not to participate in the bowl game.

One of the big changes I've seen in the game in my almost 60 years of watching it. Maybe it's the change in the rules to assist offenses, which makes leads more tenuous, but in the old days, if a team was up comfortably in the fourth quarter, the second team would be in the game. It would have been nice to give Green more reps in the game you mention.

But 2014 vs Iowa can be seen as a counterpoint. We Liedner, Streveler and Rhoda all saw snaps during that game.

I don't believe their is a maximum. I think with today's rules the most games you could play in four years is 52, but could be more if you medically redshirt. That is assuming you played in 2 playoff games each year and a conference championship game each year.

For example, Case Keenum played in 57 games while at Houston. I am not a great Houston football mind, but know he medically redshirted while in college. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/case-keenum-1/gamelog/

If a player played 4 years, remained healthy, and participated in 2 playoff games and a conference championship each year, he would play in 60 games.

Top Bottom