Doogie: Signs point to Ed Warinner leaving Gophers; TC not likely to get DB job

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that he has heard that Ed Warinner will likely leave the program for another position. Doogie said he'd be surprised if Fleck went with TC.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

That would be a major blow. Hard to replace his recruiting and reputation. Don't see Quinn going to the Gophs if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That would be a major blow. Hard to replace his recruiting and reputation. Don't see Quinn going to the Gophs if true.

That would majorly suck!! On top of that, I've heard Benhart is a long, long shot to come to the U no matter who the OL coach is. That'd be the top 2 recruits in the state (both OL too) if Quinn doesn't come.:cry:

The pay site guys have been hinting on Twitter that a staff change was coming on the offensive side. When we hired Clay Patterson, it was pretty obvious that someone was leaving on the offensive side as we need to add a DB coach and the staff is currently full (added Rossi/Patters and lost Coach Mo). My gut said it was Warinner going as he was the most likely guy on the offensive side to get an enticing offer, but I was hoping it would be someone else. My guess is that Patterson will coach TE's and Coach Callahan will coach the OL which he did for Fleck at WMU.

If Warinner does join Linguist in leaving, that early signing day was really fortunate for us. Losing them as coaches/recruiters is bad enough, but losing a few of the guys that had committed to us this close to the traditional signing day would have been really brutal.

If I had to wager a guess, Warinner may leave for Notre Dame, I believe he was on Brian Kelly's staff and Urban Meyer pried him away when he became coach of Ohio State, plus Notre Dame has an OL coach opening now, unless I missed something.

If Warinner leaves PJ will hire someone elite and things will be just fine. I read somewhere on GH that losing all your top assistants was a good sign.

If Warinner leaves PJ will hire someone elite and things will be just fine. I read somewhere on GH that losing all your top assistants was a good sign.

Good to see you continuing on your Crusade, brave and noble Sir Spoofin. You keep vacillating in your tactics, however, between witty sarcasm like this and more nasty stuff like stating that it's a known fact that Fleck plays injured players. Insinuating he doesn't give crap about his players and ignoring the fact that all coaches play "injured" players. But go on keep up your support, brave and noble Sir Spoofin.

Good to see you continuing on your Crusade, brave and noble Sir Spoofin. You keep vacillating in your tactics, however, between witty sarcasm like this and more nasty stuff like stating that it's a known fact that Fleck plays injured players. Insinuating he doesn't give crap about his players and ignoring the fact that all coaches play "injured" players. But go on keep up your support, brave and noble Sir Spoofin.

So you defend the playing of Coney Durr vs Purdue? Good to know Mulligan. Good to know.

Warriner likely to go to the NFL or Michigan St, where his son just signed.
Warriner NOT a huge recruiter for us, and almost everyone has assumed he was a short term hire, even recruits, and you can safely assume it was used in negative recruiting against us.
Callahan is a great OL coach, I think he won a national award. There will be no outside hire for the position.
PJ is the main recruiter on the staff. Yes, it hurts to lose coach Mo, and we need good recruiters as assistants, but it's PJ they are ultimately buying.

Warriner NOT a huge recruiter for us, and almost everyone has assumed he was a short term hire, even recruits, and you can safely assume it was used in negative recruiting against us.
Callahan is a great OL coach, I think he won a national award. There will be no outside hire for the position.
PJ is the main recruiter on the staff. Yes, it hurts to lose coach Mo, and we need good recruiters as assistants, but it's PJ they are ultimately buying.

Agree. (or not buying)

He's credited with bringing in 10 of the recruits in the '18 class. Best in all the staff.
The negative recruiting will continue as teams will say, don't sign early with MN, because like in '18 they will turn staff over and the coaches who recruited you won't be there.

That would be a tough loss. Also, I think it would be nice to have TC on the staff. He is well connected in the community and I think that would help a lot.

That would be a tough loss. Also, I think it would be nice to have TC on the staff. He is well connected in the community and I think that would help a lot.

Using that logic, we should hire Lou Nanne to coach and recruit our DB's.

Two sides to this: Yes, Fleck is the ultimate face of the program. But, having good assistant coaches is important -especially for a coach like Fleck who is not a real hands-on, X's and O's guy. Also, assistant coaches do a lot of the field work and groundwork in recruiting, so at the very least, hiring new coaches means they have to get up to speed on their recruiting territory.

In other words, it's not the end of the world, but it is a concern. As noted, people use all types of stuff for negative recruiting. Too much turnover on a staff in a short period of time doesn't look good, and it can be spun as a negative.

In the end, it all comes down to wins and losses - if the Gophs win 7 or 8 games next year and go to a bowl game, everything is fine. But, if the Gophs have another 5-win season and don't go to a bowl game, that is a different kettle of fish - maybe even lutefisk. (ask a norwegian)

He's credited with bringing in 10 of the recruits in the '18 class. Best in all the staff.
The negative recruiting will continue as teams will say, don't sign early with MN, because like in '18 they will turn staff over and the coaches who recruited you won't be there.

Every program has staff turnover. Callahan is a lot less likely to move on than Warriner, obviously. Warriner was not the reason we signed Dunlap or Faalele.

Two sides to this: Yes, Fleck is the ultimate face of the program. But, having good assistant coaches is important -especially for a coach like Fleck who is not a real hands-on, X's and O's guy. Also, assistant coaches do a lot of the field work and groundwork in recruiting, so at the very least, hiring new coaches means they have to get up to speed on their recruiting territory.

In other words, it's not the end of the world, but it is a concern. As noted, people use all types of stuff for negative recruiting. Too much turnover on a staff in a short period of time doesn't look good, and it can be spun as a negative.

In the end, it all comes down to wins and losses - if the Gophs win 7 or 8 games next year and go to a bowl game, everything is fine. But, if the Gophs have another 5-win season and don't go to a bowl game, that is a different kettle of fish - maybe even lutefisk. (ask a norwegian)

That's how I feel as well, if we get to 7-8 wins, we'll be fine.

I think that Coach Mo and Warriner were indeed the best recruiters on the team outside of Coach Fleck according to the sites. How much does Coach Fleck do with these individual recruits? By everything I have seen, heard and read the position coaches develop a relationship with the players more than the head coach in most cases, so it appears it is a lot. I don't think anyone can really say "it's no big deal" to lose 2 of the best recruiters. Yes they will be replaced, maybe by someone better but it could certainly be by someone worse. I think lots of turnover is not good for the stability of the program. Anyone remember Brew? It created a lot of chaos and ultimately that lead to his downfall (among other things sure). I would rather see some degree of stability with coaches moving on to better positions but not multiple guys every year. That could be a potential red flag. Time will tell what this is.

if only we had a staff who's coaches were so loyal that we never had any turnover. i bet if we ever were one of the only staffs in the country to have literally zero turnover for a year, then the next year we'd be big ten champs. if only we could see that scenario play out.

Major gut punch if this is the case.

If this is a gut punch, you haven't been paying attention. This was expected when Wariner came on board. the surprise here is if he stays. His experience and aspirations made his coming here more of a surprise vs. what his potential is referred to, as I understand it from the press, in coaching circles.

If this is a gut punch, you haven't been paying attention. This was expected when Wariner came on board. the surprise here is if he stays. His experience and aspirations made his coming here more of a surprise vs. what his potential is referred to, as I understand it from the press, in coaching circles.

Well, let's just say that if it happens, it was much sooner than we'd envisioned it happening then....

Both he and Warinner have both won Footballscoop's Offensive Line Coach of the Year award. Callahan in 2016 and Warriner in 2012 and 2014.

I think that Coach Mo and Warriner were indeed the best recruiters on the team outside of Coach Fleck according to the sites. How much does Coach Fleck do with these individual recruits? By everything I have seen, heard and read the position coaches develop a relationship with the players more than the head coach in most cases, so it appears it is a lot. I don't think anyone can really say "it's no big deal" to lose 2 of the best recruiters. Yes they will be replaced, maybe by someone better but it could certainly be by someone worse. I think lots of turnover is not good for the stability of the program. Anyone remember Brew? It created a lot of chaos and ultimately that lead to his downfall (among other things sure). I would rather see some degree of stability with coaches moving on to better positions but not multiple guys every year. That could be a potential red flag. Time will tell what this is.

Brew changing coaches hurt, but what really hurt is they completely changed systems every time as well, with the exception of Horton. As long as they don't make radical changes to the system, I think it'll be ok. Not saying it's ideal, and hopefully it's not a regular occurrence, but I think as long as they keep consistency in what they're teaching they can work through it.

I do wish it would be a couple years from now. Just to have 3 years of stability to get the foundation built. That said, from the time he was announced I expected Warriner to be moving on sooner than later, so it is what it is... :(

Both he and Warinner have both won Footballscoop's Offensive Line Coach of the Year award. Callahan in 2016 and Warriner in 2012 and 2014.

and I'm sure callahan learned a lot from working with Ed over the last year. This was a short term opportunity that PJ took, and I don't know anyone who thought it would be more than that. And I would say it was absolutely worth it. Callahan is obviously a great coach, and there is an OT from Western who is a 1st round prospect. Coach Mo is certainly a big loss, Warriner is no surprise at all, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Top Bottom