Doogie: Signs point to Ed Warinner leaving Gophers; TC not likely to get DB job

It was? Our OL hasn't been very good for the last several years.

Brian Callahan was with Fleck all 4 years at Western Michigan and produced several NFL offensive lineman. We'll be just fine at that position.

C'mon, quit talking out of your pie hole! Your definition of several and mine are entirely different. He had TWO OL (not several) that got drafted at W. Mich. Taylor Morton (2017 2nd round) and Willie Beavers (2016 4th). (Beavers has been cut twice by the Vikings and once by the Patriots in 2 seasons.)

Anyway that's TWO not "several" at W. Mich. If you go back to his prior stints at Eastern Illinois, Akron, and UTEP, he's had one more drafted: Andy Alleman (3rd round 2007).

***the W. Michigan stats above do include Free Agents as well (zero); there may have been some FA OL from the other 3 but I highly doubt it.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/westmichigan/

C'mon, quit talking out of your pie hole! Your definition of several and mine are entirely different. He had TWO OL (not several) that got drafted at W. Mich. Taylor Morton (2017 2nd round) and Willie Beavers (2016 4th). (Beavers has been cut twice by the Vikings and once by the Patriots in 2 seasons.)

Anyway that's TWO not "several" at W. Mich. If you go back to his prior stints at Eastern Illinois, Akron, and UTEP, he's had one more drafted: Andy Alleman (3rd round 2007).

***the W. Michigan stats above do include Free Agents as well (zero); there may have been some FA OL from the other 3 but I highly doubt it.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/westmichigan/

I'm also including Chukwuma Okorafor who was a NFL prospect long before Fleck/Callahan left and will be drafted this year. So that'll be 3, 4 if you include previous stints.

Remind me again how many OL have been drafted from the Gophers the last 11 years?? We can safely assume this will be the 12th year in a row without an OL drafted.

I'm also including Chukwuma Okorafor who was a NFL prospect long before Fleck/Callahan left and will be drafted this year. So that'll be 3, 4 if you include previous stints.

Remind me again how many OL have been drafted from the Gophers the last 11 years?? We can safely assume this will be the 12th year in a row without an OL drafted.

So 3 is several....I'd call that a few. Considering he chose WMU over tOSU, OU, Iowa, Nebraska, and Arkansas among others, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on how Callahan should get all the credit for him being drafted this year. Oh, did I mention he was a HS All-American too?

This again? How does this have anything to do with your Callahan debate? Let's look at SMU and San Jose State while we are at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So 3 is several....I'd call that a few. Considering he chose WMU over tOSU, OU, Iowa, Nebraska, and Arkansas among others, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on how Callahan should get all the credit for him being drafted this year. Oh, did I mention he was a HS All-American too?

So you're crediting Fleck and Callahan's recruiting? Ok me too.

Yes I will; that's a huge get for WMU. Just like the IMG boys were for the U. I think PJF will be 0/2 on the top two MN recruits in 2019, but I think Quinn has a much better chance coming here than Bryce.

Are we going to start the revolving coaches carousel like Brewster did? I swear we had all new coaches every single year. Are we talking the same kind of turnover under Fleck?

Are we going to start the revolving coaches carousel like Brewster did? I swear we had all new coaches every single year. Are we talking the same kind of turnover under Fleck?

That is a question many won't even want you to ever ask, I fear. I think it is an excellent point to ponder. Older, experienced assistant coaches and younger position coaches who wish to climb the coaching tree ladder often times become a bit nervous with some of the antics and schemes and copyrighted images and slogans and tactics of young, inexperienced head coaches for fear they will forever be tied to tactics and new catch slogans should they prove to not be successful. It is not easy for older and more experienced assistants and even less experienced position coaches to be the enforcers for a new and inexperienced head coach and his approach to things sometimes. The experience of "cultures past" may make "teaching a newer version of a culture an imprecise and at times frustrating task..." for an old-dog coach who has been at Notre Dame...the OSU and other places.

You mean like what is normal across college football? What is not normal is coaches sticking together like Kill's staff. All that meant was consistently finishing 4th or 5th in the west.

You mean like what is normal across college football? What is not normal is coaches sticking together like Kill's staff. All that meant was consistently finishing 4th or 5th in the west.

Oh good. More of the same. Question PJ - #yeahbut Kill/Claeys.

Oh good. More of the same. Question PJ - #yeahbut Kill/Claeys.

You don't even have to question PJ, you simply have to express an iota of concern about any aspect of the program. In fact, you don't even have to express concern about anything, if you don't enthusiastically support any idea/concept that could potentially be seen as a concept/idea that Fleck could support, it brings about the same reaction.

You do that and the automatic reaction is blast Kill/Claeys and then talk about how people need to "move on".

You do remember that they finished 2nd in West in 2014? And give TC one year is a joke.

You do remember that they finished 2nd in West in 2014? And give TC one year is a joke.

Fleck and Company certainly didn't lead them to a 4th place finish either. They finished 6th..

Everybody knew this was a Vegas short term marriage with Ed W. The TE coach slides in. Not a huge deal with the exception of recruiting and that may benefit with the uncertainty gone. The kids will know for sure who will coaching them. We will see how he can recruit.The flip side is he hired coaches that other coaches covet. With the exception of Jay S, that was not the case for Kill.

Everybody knew this was a Vegas short term marriage with Ed W. The TE coach slides in. Not a huge deal with the exception of recruiting and that may benefit with the uncertainty gone. The kids will know for sure who will coaching them. We will see how he can recruit.The flip side is he hired coaches that other coaches covet. With the exception of Jay S, that was not the case for Kill.

Bill Miller

Also, you have zero idea whether any of the other coaches were coveted by external coaching staffs.

It's not that common for coaches to leave after one year. I'll give you that coaches typically leave after 2 or 3 years (see Wisconsin). The important thing in my opinion is that we are not jumping around in terms of schemes and play style. That can really stunt player's growth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think we got some bigger name assistants because they want to see how pj works and did the huge turn around at w. Michigan - like an internship to see how he operates and hopefully it will help them in their coaching aspirations.

I think we got some bigger name assistants because they want to see how pj works and did the huge turn around at w. Michigan - like an internship to see how he operates and hopefully it will help them in their coaching aspirations.

This sounds about right. Ed Warinner, who is old enough to be Fleck's dad and has been coaching college football for 34 years (or almost as long as Fleck has been alive) wanted to serve an "internship" under Fleck.

I get the "coaches leave" thing, but if you're trying to coach up some kids and establish a culture or just a relationship with the kids.... one year isn't gonna do it.

Feels like a mini-exodus. But does it mean anything beyond "change is constant"?

I actually think it was the other way around. I think Fleck saw the opportunity to have his program (himself, Coach Callahan, and his players) learn from a tremendous coach with high-caliber experience in the B1G top-tier, even if it was a short-term opportunity. Callahan was always available to slide back into OL coach spot when Warinner would eventually leave.

Unfortunately, to us fans, we see churn, turnover, exodus, etc. and assume the worse.

Fleck isn't flexible enough to have people on his staff with different viewpoints, whether he can get a full staff that adheres to his vision, is an open question. I was in sales a long time, I've seen people like Fleck succeed, I've also have seen them fail. The difference has always been their ability to attract and retain talented like minded people.

Looks like there's still a chance Warinner ends up in the NFL with the Titans.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/scoop-sunday-january-21-2018/

Wake Forest: Wake Forest has an immediate opening for a defensive quality control position. The position is unpaid. Responsibilities include developing scouting reports, film breakdown, weekly practice preparation, and any assignments delegated by the defensive coordinator. Interested applicants can email Nick Rallis at [email protected]. No phone calls please.

Wonder if that is former Gopher LB Nick Rallis?

Wake Forest: Wake Forest has an immediate opening for a defensive quality control position. The position is unpaid. Responsibilities include developing scouting reports, film breakdown, weekly practice preparation, and any assignments delegated by the defensive coordinator. Interested applicants can email Nick Rallis at [email protected]. No phone calls please.

Wonder if that is former Gopher LB Nick Rallis?

It is. He was hired by Sawvel as a defensive grad assistant.

It is. He was hired by Sawvel as a defensive grad assistant.

I looked on their Website and didn't see him listed. Chalk that one up to my superior internet abilities. HAHA. Thanks Dpo!

So anyway ... Doogie was right.

It should be no surprise that Doogie was right. Now that Sid is almost 100 years old no sports reporter in Minnesota spends more time cultivating sources than Doogie. There was a time when it was fair to ridicule him. Not any more.

Fleck isn't flexible enough to have people on his staff with different viewpoints, whether he can get a full staff that adheres to his vision, is an open question. I was in sales a long time, I've seen people like Fleck succeed, I've also have seen them fail. The difference has always been their ability to attract and retain talented like minded people.

Get real! You don’t know how flexible PJ is or not. But go ahead and throw mud to fit your agenda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It should be no surprise that Doogie was right. Now that Sid is almost 100 years old no sports reporter in Minnesota spends more time cultivating sources than Doogie. There was a time when it was fair to ridicule him. Not any more.

News flash - Sid hasn't been writing his own column for 20+ years.

Top Bottom