Doogie: Signs point to Ed Warinner leaving Gophers; TC not likely to get DB job

and I'm sure callahan learned a lot from working with Ed over the last year. This was a short term opportunity that PJ took, and I don't know anyone who thought it would be more than that. And I would say it was absolutely worth it. Callahan is obviously a great coach, and there is an OT from Western who is a 1st round prospect. Coach Mo is certainly a big loss, Warriner is no surprise at all, you shouldn't be disappointed.

This. +1

It seemed pretty obvious all along that Minnesota provided a soft landing spot for Warinner so that he could leave OSU on his own terms before he was forced out. I thought he might stay two years, but I'm not at all surprised that he might leave after one. Reading the tea leaves, it looks like Notre Dame, which is a no-brainer for almost anyone with that opportunity, particularly since he previously coached there for two years as part of Brian Kelly's initial staff.

I am still a little surprised that Linguist left. Granted, it is his home state and no doubt A&M threw a ton of money at him, but he would have had greater visibility here and, assuming it's his goal, probably would've had a faster track to a Sun Belt/Conference USA/MAC-type head coaching job here than at A&M.

Warriner likely to go to the NFL or Michigan St, where his son just signed.
Warriner NOT a huge recruiter for us, and almost everyone has assumed he was a short term hire, even recruits, and you can safely assume it was used in negative recruiting against us.
Callahan is a great OL coach, I think he won a national award. There will be no outside hire for the position.
PJ is the main recruiter on the staff. Yes, it hurts to lose coach Mo, and we need good recruiters as assistants, but it's PJ they are ultimately buying.

Warinner is the top recruiter for the Gophers and will be a big lost.

FYI - Gopher Recruiters:

Ed Warinner (Nat'l Rank 50) - 10:
https://247sports.com/Coach/Ed-Warinner-216

Maurice Linguist (Nat' Rank 75 w/Gophers, now w/Texas A&M) - 8:
https://247sports.com/Coach/Maurice-Linguist-1713

Matt Simon (Nat'l Rank 144) - 7:
https://247sports.com/Coach/Matt-Simon-3882

Rob Smith (Nat'l Rank 151) - 8:
https://247sports.com/Coach/Robb-Smith-555

Kenni Burns (Nat'l Rank 212) - 4:
https://247sports.com/Coach/Kenni-Burns-3886

Brian Callahan (Nat'l Rank 214) - 3:
https://247sports.com/Coach/Brian-Callahan-1730

Bryce Paup (Nat'l 350 320) - 5:
https://247sports.com/Coach/Bryce-Paup-3887

Kirk Ciarrocca (Nat'l Rank 381) - 1:

I hear Benhart has Badger bloodlines running through his veins. Carroll's has family history with Notre Dame. If Warinner leaves for Notre Dame, it is a no brainer IMHO where Carroll will go.

Middle to bottom tier B1G teams will always have this challenge in coaching stability. You'd have to have something for coaches to stick here - deep pockets and pay assistants more, or get lucky and find someone from the area who is or can develop into a great assistant coach. IMHO, someone like Sherels if it wasn't for his health situation.

Things have gotten tougher for the Gophers - losing coaches, and the hires of good coaches in Purdue and Nebraska. It is tough to get out of fifth place.

I hear Benhart has Badger bloodlines running through his veins. Carroll's has family history with Notre Dame. If Warinner leaves for Notre Dame, it is a no brainer IMHO where Carroll will go.

Not sure about the above. Benhart's dad played at Western Illinois and Carroll's dad played at the U. I'm not sure about the rest of their family members. However, I've heard Benhart has little interest in the U, and Bucky would be the choice if he's deciding now. Luckily, he's not.

If Warinner leaves for Notre Dame, it is a no brainer IMHO where Carroll will go.

How do you know that where Ed Warinner is coaching is of any interest to Carroll and will have any impact on his decision. Seems like an awful big assumption on your part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be wrong but looking at eg Linguist’s recruit list he was not known as a top tier recruiter prior to his time under Fleck. It stands to reason that any assistant coach serving under Fleck will have their recruiting chops shined by being associated with PJ Fleck, the ultimate closer. PJ should be able to find able and hungry replacements with ease.

Losing someone of Warriner’s caliber is a bit more concerning but it always seemed like a short term stint. PJ is the head recruiter and ultimately he will hire coaches that will help him reel them in. Not worried.

Yikes, this majorly sucks. I think most people would agree that Lindquist and Warriner were the two most important position coaches in the program. Aside from recruiting (in which they both excelled), Lindquist put a great product on the field in his makeshift DB unit, and Warriner is obviously a position expert with a great national reputation. I'm not panicking, but it's a downer...

How do you know that where Ed Warinner is coaching is of any interest to Carroll and will have any impact on his decision. Seems like an awful big assumption on your part.

These are all speculative in GH tradition. Throw something out there and see what comes off the mud on the ceiling.

It is a "Catch Twenty-Two". You have to start winning consistently to attract good players. But, you have to have good players to start winning with regularity. We need for the Gophers to get get lucky in recruiting and in the coaching that they'll have when the dust settles by the start of next season.

Yikes, this majorly sucks. I think most people would agree that Lindquist and Warriner were the two most important position coaches in the program. Aside from recruiting (in which they both excelled), Lindquist put a great product on the field in his makeshift DB unit, and Warriner is obviously a position expert with a great national reputation. I'm not panicking, but it's a downer...

I’d agree about Warriner but I’d argue our DL is most important position coach at the moment. Many breakdowns in the secondary last year. I think Fleck will find a capable replacement.

In my eyes, losing both Mo and EdW would be a major, major blow to Gopher success. Maybe we could bring Limey back (just kidding). Again hire someone who has recruiting connections. With our new Athletic Village, if we can just get these players on campus, we have a shot. Everyone says that recruiting starts with building relationships. We can't afford to hire either position with rookies.

Is Ed Warinner the next New York Giants offensive line coach?

Is Ed Warinner the next New York Giants offensive line coach?

Could be. Would the Giants then bring Benhart and Carroll in for a Pro day?

Let me know what what we are arguing about exactly, and I'll be happy to jump in and defend whatever side is losing.

While they are both excellent football minds, I am pretty sure Mo and Ed did not invent the light bulb or cure cancer. One year ago, we had zero assistant coaches and nobody had heard of Mo Linguist so I trust Fleck to find more very good recruiters/assistant coaches. Quinn Carroll has not declared which school he will attend either so we are fine.

Can’t expect to win without Mo or Ed. Timetable pushed back to 2021.

I may have lost track, but I thought our list of excuses was long enough to be closer to 2025.

In seriousness, he hasn't left yet. I'll wait for a real sports journalist to actually report something to pull the fire alarm. Doogie is to sports reporting what those abstract painters that dance around and fling paint everywhere on the canvas are to art.

Well, for Warinner it's a chance to be with the "really wannabe the best" going up against "the best" in the B1G East. Can't really fault him there if he takes it.

At least it shows good judgment on Coach Fleck's part in being able to get Warinner to come here at all. Having a coach being poached by Harbaugh is probably a kind back-handed compliment.

Who knows...maybe Warinner will decide it's better to row than go.

Some buy in to the culture...some may not. Maybe "W" did...maybe "W" didn't. Maybe "L" did. Maybe "L" didn't. The culture MUST be larger than the staffers. The culture IS PJ. It will all be the way it is supposed to be. Not much the average fan can do about any of it. It's only a business anyway. If you believe PJ is the man, why should it matter to you? If you think PJ is not the man, it is only more ammunition for your point of view. If you believe, as I do that the ONLY indicator of how things really are going is the number of Big Ten wins vs. the number of Big Ten losses...the jury is STILL out. It can change from season to season. Time will tell...and the Big Ten winning percentage ranks every Big Ten Coach in their effectiveness as a Big Ten Coach in the here and now. Of course: there is the historical winning percentage of each Big Ten school that helps put things in perspective.

Don't worry for PJ if you believe he is a god. He will have MANY seasons to work on building a Big Ten winning percentage here at Minnesota. He won the initial contract game contest with AD Coyle. AD Coyle can not panic and pull the plug on PJ. AD Coyle has NO buy out money. PJ is AD Coyle's ONLY shot at filling the Football Head Coach position. PJ is IT for AD Coyle. Assistant coaches don't count. They are only staffers. Staffers come...and they go.

Some buy in to the culture...some may not. Maybe "W" did...maybe "W" didn't. Maybe "L" did. Maybe "L" didn't. The culture MUST be larger than the staffers. The culture IS PJ. It will all be the way it is supposed to be. Not much the average fan can do about any of it. It's only a business anyway. If you believe PJ is the man, why should it matter to you? If you think PJ is not the man, it is only more ammunition for your point of view. If you believe, as I do that the ONLY indicator of how things really are going is the number of Big Ten wins vs. the number of Big Ten losses...the jury is STILL out. It can change from season to season. Time will tell...and the Big Ten winning percentage ranks every Big Ten Coach in their effectiveness as a Big Ten Coach in the here and now. Of course: there is the historical winning percentage of each Big Ten school that helps put things in perspective.

Don't worry for PJ if you believe he is a god. He will have MANY seasons to work on building a Big Ten winning percentage here at Minnesota. He won the initial contract game contest with AD Coyle. AD Coyle can not panic and pull the cord of PJ. AD Coyle has NO buy out money. PJ is AD Coyle's ONLY shot at filling the Football Head Coach position. PJ is IT for AD Coyle. Assistant coaches don't count. They are only staffers. Staffers come...and they go.

If you think any coach leaving minnesota for Texas A&M or Michigan has to do with culture you aren’t very smart.

I can neither confirm or deny that Texas A&M and Michigan have more money than minnesota

If you think any coach leaving minnesota for Texas A&M or Michigan has to do with culture you aren’t very smart.

I can neither confirm or deny that Texas A&M and Michigan have more money than minnesota

We want guys who believe the culture is more important than money. It is how you live. HYPRR

I stated that "...it is only business..." I think that pretty much covers that whole nasty money business that EVERY Minnesota Coach has had to face. If you think that does NOT have anything to do with culture you aren't a very smart some guy person.

We want guys who believe the culture is more important than money. It is how you live. HYPRR

I have no idea how Fleck is going to do. I personally don’t like him very much...but to suggest losing an assistant coach to a big money program is an indictment is silly. I’ve blocked the walrus

I have no idea how Fleck is going to do. I personally don’t like him very much...but to suggest losing an assistant coach to a big money program is an indictment is silly. I’ve blocked the walrus

I believe that every Minnesota Head Football coach has had to deal with big name...big buck schools outbidding them for assistant coaches. Thank you for blocking me. In the end, none of us really matter any way. Especially someone who likes discussion and exchanging point of view. You are the very best some guy.

Might want to re-calibrate your sarcasm detector...

Which is exactly what Fleck did to get Warinner to come to the U from Ohio State, no? Was it a ****ty move by PJ then?

I don't disagree, but word had it Ed wanted out at Ohio St.... not quite the same but I still agree with your main point.

Top Bottom