Doogie: Signs point to Ed Warinner leaving Gophers; TC not likely to get DB job

News flash - Sid hasn't been writing his own column for 20+ years.

That isn't news. Sid has been dragging around a tape recorder to interview sources since they were invented. I am sure it has probably been much longer than 20 years since he last sat down at a typewriter or keyboard to transcribe his interviews and notes into a column. Sid has had Strib staffers actually writing his columns for longer than many GopherhHolers have been alive. But he has never stopped working his sources. I would guess most of them don't go for very long without getting a call from Sid or even having him show up at their door without an appointment. Sid has had a personal driver for quite a few years as well.

Warriner likely to go to the NFL or Michigan St, where his son just signed.
Warriner NOT a huge recruiter for us, and almost everyone has assumed he was a short term hire, even recruits, and you can safely assume it was used in negative recruiting against us.
Callahan is a great OL coach, I think he won a national award. There will be no outside hire for the position.
PJ is the main recruiter on the staff. Yes, it hurts to lose coach Mo, and we need good recruiters as assistants, but it's PJ they are ultimately buying.

Top rated recruiter n 2018 for Gophs according to 247.

That isn't news. Sid has been dragging around a tape recorder to interview sources since they were invented. I am sure it has probably been much longer than 20 years since he last sat down at a typewriter or keyboard to transcribe his interviews and notes into a column. Sid has had Strib staffers actually writing his columns for longer than many GopherhHolers have been alive. But he has never stopped working his sources. I would guess most of them don't go for very long without getting a call from Sid or even having him show up at their door without an appointment. Sid has had a personal driver for quite a few years as well.

That's good. Sid almost hit me with his car some years ago.

He almost drove me over also.

The good: I finally got a Sid story of my own. The bad: He had no idea he almost took me out. Just kept looking straight ahead and continued driving. Probably on his way to the next close call.

Has anyone ever read Sid's column written back in the seventies and eighties?

I wonder if anyone has the time to look at the archives of the Minneapolis Tribune at the U and compare Sid's column back then to his column today in the Star-Tribune.

I read Sid's column almost every morning back then because there was no ESPN or Fox Sports or any web at all. You had to read the paper each day if you wanted to keep up. He was good at highlighting the local athletes in high school if they were very good athletes. This kept me interested because I could read about local guys I knew about or played against in high school.

Sid was always talking about his "Close Personal Friends" which could be Bobby Knight, Bud Grant, George Steinbrenner etc. this was in his column or on radio or TV. Back then he was driven to impress people with name dropping and these Close Personal Friends. I was young but I caught on to it. He had them on his radio show sometimes and they seemed to be genuinely interested in the show but I was always a skeptic.

Without question he had the "go to" column if you wanted to know what was going on in the MN sports scene.

He was always impressed and fixated on how much money the athletes were making or how big were the contracts they signed. I think that is part of the reason why I am so biased against pro sports now. Too much $ involved and it turned me off. To Sid it was all about how much money the athletes could sign for with the pro teams in town or MN guys in the various major leagues around the country.

I was always critical of Sid but in the last few years here, I have softened my opinion. He is truly a living legend and I hope he stays with us for a while.

There will be more to this story I am guessing......

Top Bottom