Silver Lining Special - There is one, if you are willing to look for it

You're correct. He skipped his senior season to sign as a free agent with the Capitals. I'll attribute my mistake to...laziness.

I remember REALLY wishing Schmidt and Haula had stuck around for their senior year. We sure could have used them against Union.

I remember REALLY wishing Schmidt and Haula had stuck around for their senior year. We sure could have used them against Union.

Didn't Bjugstad leave that year as well?

Those guys are all doing pretty well in the NHL, so far. Not sure if any of them are future Kessels or Wheelers, but you never know?

That 2012-13-14 era was pretty damn good. LUCIA made that happen, remember. 2 Frozen Fours, a Title game appearance, and of course the year Yale stole it all from us. Imagine if 1 or 2 or all 3 of those guys who left early had stuck around for the 2014 season??? Would anyone have had a chance? lol.

Then we lost a couple guys in 2015 again.

So now here we are, didn't lose anyone, but our seniors aren't exactly killing it??? Is that really Lucia's fault? Just asking

Maybe they will respond here on out?

We could win a Natl Title this year. We already swept #4 Clarkson, we beat #3 SCSU, and we beat #12 UND on the road. We lost ROAD games by ONE GOAL to #1 Notre Dame, #6 OSU, #8 UMD & #15 Michigan. How many teams out there can claim what we can?

1 or 2 maybe? lol

We're no where near as in bad of shape as most Gopher fans assume we are.

Didn't Bjugstad leave that year as well?

Those guys are all doing pretty well in the NHL, so far. Not sure if any of them are future Kessels or Wheelers, but you never know?

Yes, Bjugstad left too, but I think most people saw that coming and were just happy he didn't bolt after his sophomore year. Haula, though not a complete shocker, did surprise me. Zach Budish, too.

It's probably going to be a long time until another Kessel/Wheeler/Vanek type come through, unless Mittlestadt is up next. They're rare talents.

This year's seniors.....look, the puck sometimes just will not go in, for whatever reason. It happens. To me, it should be put on the coaches a bit, though. It's their job to develop these kid's skills and mind sets. As I've mentioned before, Leon Bristedt is the only guy I see hustling every shift. Why is that? The players need someone DEMANDING the highest effort possible. It's gotta be up to Lucia and the seniors leading by example. Obviously, I'm not in the locker room to hear what is said. Maybe Lucia DOES demand effort, etc. If he does though, it doesn't appear that they listen, which again goes back to the head coach.

This team has talent. National championship talent? Possibly. We all know Herb Brooks' quote about hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. That's the key, IMO, to this year's team, and it's up to Don to make it happen.

BTW, I never thought Yale stole anything from us. We GAVE it to them with a lazy play. Their goalie was hot, but he wasn't better than the Gophers.

Yes, Bjugstad left too, but I think most people saw that coming and were just happy he didn't bolt after his sophomore year. Haula, though not a complete shocker, did surprise me. Zach Budish, too.

It's probably going to be a long time until another Kessel/Wheeler/Vanek type come through, unless Mittlestadt is up next. They're rare talents.

This year's seniors.....look, the puck sometimes just will not go in, for whatever reason. It happens. To me, it should be put on the coaches a bit, though. It's their job to develop these kid's skills and mind sets. As I've mentioned before, Leon Bristedt is the only guy I see hustling every shift. Why is that? The players need someone DEMANDING the highest effort possible. It's gotta be up to Lucia and the seniors leading by example. Obviously, I'm not in the locker room to hear what is said. Maybe Lucia DOES demand effort, etc. If he does though, it doesn't appear that they listen, which again goes back to the head coach.

This team has talent. National championship talent? Possibly. We all know Herb Brooks' quote about hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. That's the key, IMO, to this year's team, and it's up to Don to make it happen.

BTW, I never thought Yale stole anything from us. We GAVE it to them with a lazy play. Their goalie was hot, but he wasn't better than the Gophers.

I believe Lucia has moved away, purposely, from recruiting the Kessel/Wheeler/Vanek types, although Wheeler did stick around for 3 years, Okposo was the one who broke my heart the most, leaving half way through a season, just sucked. And Leddy leaving after 1?? His freshman season at UMn was not even close to glorious. How, as a coach, do you manage around stuff like that???

And as for Middlestadt? I think he looked good vs guys his own age, but maybe the NHL will see that amongst older guys, he doesn't look as dominant and will wait at least one more year before yanking him from our roster???

And the seniors? Maybe they come through when it counts the most?

That could be this team's hidden secret weapon, the so far unfulfilled potential of its Senior class???

If the seniors all of a sudden started kicked arse, well, we could easily be argued to be the #1 team in the nation.

And the seniors? Maybe they come through when it counts the most?

That could be this team's hidden secret weapon, the so far unfulfilled potential of its Senior class???

If the seniors all of a sudden started kicked arse, well, we could easily be argued to be the #1 team in the nation.

I'll agree that if the seniors suddenly break out and begin to contribute in a major way, the Gophers become a very, very dangerous team. Those one goal losses likely become one goal wins. But I think that is an absurdly large "if". Almost every Gopher team I've seen since they went back-to-back has peaked well before either tournament has started. 06 and 14 are the exceptions off the top of my head.

For the defections.... Lucia is smart enough to have a plan in place for almost anything. Okposo probably caught him off-guard. Seeler, too. Much like Kentucky basketball and Alabama football, those early losses are fairly easy to refill with generally top notch talent. The coaches almost certainly know who will only be around for a year or two and recruit beyond that with that in mind. As we've discussed, it doesn't just happen at MN. Parker, York, Berenson, etc managed that juggling act as well.

I think you are confusing "tough" with ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL!!!!!!!

UMn has played NINE games, including SIX ROAD games vs Top 8 ranked teams. They've won 3 of those 9. The 3 home games.
And of the 6 ROAD losses to Top 8 ranked teams, 3 of them were just 1 goal losses.

At this date last year UMD had played TWELVE games, including EIGHT ROAD games vs Top 8 ranked teams.

UMn has played ELEVEN games, including EIGHT ROAD games vs Teams slated right now to make the NCAA tournament. They've won 4 of those. But as we all know, NCAA tourney games are NOT road games.

At this date last year UMD had played FOURTEEN games, including EIGHT ROAD games vs eventual tournament teams.

UMn has played MORE games(21) vs Top 20 competition than some teams have played total games!!!!!

UMD had played 18 games vs Top 20 competition at this date last year

I just looked at UMD's schedule but Denver's was actually tougher by SOS, so suffice to say teams have faced schedules just as tough as Minnesota has this year and still managed great records and been title contenders. The issue is with the Gophers talent, not the schedule, though I do admit it is a tough one. Good teams overcome that, the Gophers have not.

I just looked at UMD's schedule but Denver's was actually tougher by SOS, so suffice to say teams have faced schedules just as tough as Minnesota has this year and still managed great records and been title contenders. The issue is with the Gophers talent, not the schedule, though I do admit it is a tough one. Good teams overcome that, the Gophers have not.

Oh really?

#1 in # of wins vs Top 4 ranked teams.

#2 in # of wins vs Top 20 ranked teams.

ONLY team in the nation with ZERO losses AND ZERO TIES vs the bottom 40 ranked teams.

No one is saying this current team doesn't have some flaws. Just saying they are NOT even close to the only team in the country with flaws.

Notre Dame lost to Sacred Heart.

Cornell is 0-1-0 vs Top 8 teams, 1-1-0 vs Top 20. I mean, COME ON

SCSU is 2-0-2 vs the Bottom 20.

Clarkson?? UMn's 2-0-0 vs Clarkson.

Denver? is 6-3-3 vs the Bottom 40.

Do I need to continue?

Continuation from the basketball board thread. More appropriately placed here...

Todd Richards, old Wild coach.

George Gwozdecky won 2 titles....fired. New coach wins a title very soon and might this year too. Hakstol goes to Philly. New coach wins a title the next season. Mike Eaves won consistently. Fired. Wisconsin is on the way back up. York and Berenson are/were ready to retire.

Fresh voice lasts only 2 years? If it works it creates culture. I know, that term is WAY over used. Once the fresh part wears off it just becomes "the way". Again, I'm hoping it's Potulny, but that's just my opinion.

Continuation from the basketball board thread. More appropriately placed here...

Todd Richards, old Wild coach.

George Gwozdecky won 2 titles....fired. New coach wins a title very soon and might this year too. Hakstol goes to Philly. New coach wins a title the next season. Mike Eaves won consistently. Fired. Wisconsin is on the way back up. York and Berenson are/were ready to retire.

Fresh voice lasts only 2 years? If it works it creates culture. I know, that term is WAY over used. Once the fresh part wears off it just becomes "the way". Again, I'm hoping it's Potulny, but that's just my opinion.

I'd be ok with both Todd Richards and/or Potulny. Only guys I honestly think could be successful beyond that 2 year mark you mentioned, the fresh voice thing. UND won 13 fewer games last year than it did its first year with their new coach. This year they are only 6-6-2 vs the Top 20 and 6-2-3 vs the Bottom 40. Does his winning a title that first year with all of Hakstol's players mean that he is the next great UND coach??? lol I doubt it. His 2nd and 3rd years are more indicative of how his coaching tenure at UND will go.

I'd be ok with both Todd Richards and/or Potulny. Only guys I honestly think could be successful beyond that 2 year mark you mentioned, the fresh voice thing. UND won 13 fewer games last year than it did its first year with their new coach. This year they are only 6-6-2 vs the Top 20 and 6-2-3 vs the Bottom 40. Does his winning a title that first year with all of Hakstol's players mean that he is the next great UND coach??? lol I doubt it. His 2nd and 3rd years are more indicative of how his coaching tenure at UND will go.

You mentioned the 2-3 year deal in the BB thread.

The list of coaches I mentioned was meant to illustrate how removing a long time coach (with championship pedigree) of a struggling program can breathe new life into the team. Michigan is much better and it's not like Dylan Larkin is still skating for them. Wisconsin is good again and Denver is a force. NoDak is the exception concerning long term success. However, it would seem that the players united for at least one special season. I'd take that. BTW, I do hope NoDak falls faster than one of Kim Jong Un's ICBM's!

I think we all see what you're saying about SOS and all. Many of the wins you cite were followed or preceded by a shellacking, though. So, yes, the Gophers can play with anyone on any given night. I don't think, though, that they will win 4 straight in a tournament. They just don't play consistently enough and haven't for years under Lucia.

You mentioned the 2-3 year deal in the BB thread.

The list of coaches I mentioned was meant to illustrate how removing a long time coach (with championship pedigree) of a struggling program can breathe new life into the team. Michigan is much better and it's not like Dylan Larkin is still skating for them. Wisconsin is good again and Denver is a force. NoDak is the exception concerning long term success. However, it would seem that the players united for at least one special season. I'd take that. BTW, I do hope NoDak falls faster than one of Kim Jong Un's ICBM's!

I think we all see what you're saying about SOS and all. Many of the wins you cite were followed or preceded by a shellacking, though. So, yes, the Gophers can play with anyone on any given night. I don't think, though, that they will win 4 straight in a tournament. They just don't play consistently enough and haven't for years under Lucia.

2012 and 2014 they did pretty well.

Yes, a new coach can bring new life to a program, in the short term, then what? The more successful the new coach is right off the bat, the harder it is to get rid of him later.

We need a guy who not only brings new life to the program, but who can establish something enduring.

And yes, Michigan and Wisconsin are doing better now, and UND did, but our losing to Michigan and Wisconsin were still considered HORRIBLE losses in the minds of old time Gopher hockey fans. And neither Michigan or Wisconsin would make the NCAA tourney if it started today. UMn would though. UMn and Lucia.

I'm not against bringing in a new guy, but not just anyone, its got to be a home run hire or a guy like Potulny who has connections and is a recognizable name in the Minnesota community, etc..

2012 and 2014 they did pretty well.

Yes, a new coach can bring new life to a program, in the short term, then what? The more successful the new coach is right off the bat, the harder it is to get rid of him later.

We need a guy who not only brings new life to the program, but who can establish something enduring.

And yes, Michigan and Wisconsin are doing better now, and UND did, but our losing to Michigan and Wisconsin were still considered HORRIBLE losses in the minds of old time Gopher hockey fans. And neither Michigan or Wisconsin would make the NCAA tourney if it started today. UMn would though. UMn and Lucia.

I'm not against bringing in a new guy, but not just anyone, its got to be a home run hire or a guy like Potulny who has connections and is a recognizable name in the Minnesota community, etc..

I'm curious to know who you think is a home run. I'm not a great hockey mind and have zero knowledge of who could be the next up and coming guy.

Would Dean Blais do it for you? I loved how his NoDak teams played. Fierce. But he's getting advanced in years. I can't imagine an assistant in the NHL would come here, but I guess I don't know that. Seems kind of like a demotion. Anybody in the USHL?

We should have hired Housley.

We need someone who can get the BEST players to come to Minnesota and make them better. Lucia seems to have lost the ability to put together a team who can maintain a high level of performance. Perhaps the "Stars" (Vanek, Potulny, Wheeler, Kessell) of the past were gifted enough to overcome his coaching. Most of them are doing quite well in the NHL.

I just feel it is time for a change.

I'm curious to know who you think is a home run. I'm not a great hockey mind and have zero knowledge of who could be the next up and coming guy.

Would Dean Blais do it for you? I loved how his NoDak teams played. Fierce. But he's getting advanced in years. I can't imagine an assistant in the NHL would come here, but I guess I don't know that. Seems kind of like a demotion. Anybody in the USHL?

I'd love for Dean to go to Minny!

He's 67 and doesn't coach anymore lmao

Yeah, since all of what? Last year? lmao.

Not saying I'd want him, at best as a short term interim coach, MAYBE, but not sure that kind of arrangement would go over well with prospective recruits.

So UncleSam'sMisguidedChild, to answer your questions. No, I would not consider Blais to be a home run hire, nor would I get excited about him coming in. He might enjoy the idea so much that he'd do surprisingly well? He did recently get Omaha to their first ever Frozen Four, but like bonin21 said, he's 67 now, would be 68 if we brought him in next year, or by this time he would be. Just don't see it being a smart hire.

But I'm not a hockey expert either. I like the idea of Todd Richards, because he's a UMn guy, and he's coached an NHL team, so that could get recruits attention? But his career in the NHL hasn't exactly been something to write home about. A lot of young kids coming up in hockey might not even know who he is?

My personal favorite is absolutely Grant Potulny. Without a doubt. He's got Northern Michigan fans loving life! They love what he's doing for that program, they are on the verge of making it into the NCAA tourney, he's a UMn guy, and one everyone will recognize, a hero from the Back to Back Title period, and did get to the NHL. I think young Minnesota players would respond to him and would want to play for him.

Outside of those options, I just don't know? I just LOATH the idea of bringing in this Motzko guy. Maybe if he gets SCSU a title this year, then sure, then kids would think of him as a winner and would come here. And I don't think this SCSU team is the best in the country, so if he somehow got this year's squad to figure things out and win it all, then I'd finally see the light and become a believer in the guy. But so far, he's done nothing in my opinion. Nothing worthy of snagging the Gopher Coaching position that is.

Seems like we're in complete agreement about possible replacements. I would have LOVED for Blais to come here right after his NHL stint, but it's too late now IMO. Motzko is so-so. Had success but hasn't reached the top. Potulny would be nice to see for all the reasons you mentioned, but I am a little unsure because of his lack of experience. Maybe that's overrated, but I'm afraid of what would happen if things didn't pick up. Would he handle the pressure here? UNM is most definitely NOT UM. I'd just like him to get a bit more seasoned. I'd even be willing to let Lucia stay another year or two to let that happen, even though I'm not a Lucia supporter.

Seems like we're in complete agreement about possible replacements. I would have LOVED for Blais to come here right after his NHL stint, but it's too late now IMO. Motzko is so-so. Had success but hasn't reached the top. Potulny would be nice to see for all the reasons you mentioned, but I am a little unsure because of his lack of experience. Maybe that's overrated, but I'm afraid of what would happen if things didn't pick up. Would he handle the pressure here? UNM is most definitely NOT UM. I'd just like him to get a bit more seasoned. I'd even be willing to let Lucia stay another year or two to let that happen, even though I'm not a Lucia supporter.

Well honestly, that is EXACTLY what I am hoping for. Next year is the last on Lucia contract, rarely do coaches go into their last year without announcing retirement, or an extension. SO... if Lucia finishes out this season, we get to see how he does, AND how Potulny does, and I'm sure the guys who make big decisions will act quickly, if hey haven't already, to talk to both parties and may find out that Lucia is ready to retire at the end of next season and Grant is very open to coming onboard.

Worst case scenario, if we change our minds about Grant, we put on a big coaching search at the end of next year? Or if he announces his retirement, technically we could start looking well before next season is over, right? Would also give Motzko this season to see if he can finally break through and get to the Frozen Four. if he wins a Title with this SCSU team this year, could make a believer out of me?

And maybe there is some NHL asst that we are not aware of that is already in the works?

I figure if we don't hear talk about a contract extension soon after the team is done playing, we can possibly assume its because they already know Lucia's said he'll retire.

Now, here's an interesting twist. What if Lucia wins the Title this year? Then what? lol

Retire on top? Or give him a contract extension?

If the Gophers win a championship this year it'll be because of Eric Scheirhorn and the upperclassmen, not Don Lucia. I don't think he'll suddenly find a secret formula to get his team to play lights out at the end of a so-so season after 25 years or so of coaching. It's on the players.

But if it does happen, I hope he retires. It'll be easier, I'd think, to attract a "plan A" guy with a fresh trophy. Plus Don could leave with an emphatic "told ya so" type moment. Which I'd be happy to live with.

If the Gophers win a championship this year it'll be because of Eric Scheirhorn and the upperclassmen, not Don Lucia. I don't think he'll suddenly find a secret formula to get his team to play lights out at the end of a so-so season after 25 years or so of coaching. It's on the players.

But if it does happen, I hope he retires. It'll be easier, I'd think, to attract a "plan A" guy with a fresh trophy. Plus Don could leave with an emphatic "told ya so" type moment. Which I'd be happy to live with.

Is it really a so-so season? Or the first year of a 3 year cycle like 2012-13-14???

Look who we have beaten? #3 SCSU, #4 Clarkson, #4 Clarkson, #12 UND, #16 PSU, #17 Harvard, #17 Harvard, #20 Wisc.

And look who we've hung with ON THE ROAD, one goal losses to #1 Notre Dame, #6 OSU, #10 UMD & #15 Michigan. Also got a tie on the road vs Michigan, too.

And look who we HAVEN'T lost to. 7-0-0 vs the Bottom 40.

The only thing so-so about the season is how we've played SO MANY MORE Top 4, 8 & 20 ranked teams that everyone else. And get punished in the polls for it while those that play nothing but creampuffs and get NO big wins at all, get rewarded???

21 to 0 Northestern 0-0
21 to 2 Cornell 1-1
21 to 2 Providence 0-2
21 to 4 Harvard 0-3-1

Those teams are a combined 1-6-1 vs The Top 20. UMn has THREE TIMES MORE Top 4 wins than all 4 of those teams combined have Top 20 wins.

Is it really a so-so season? Or the first year of a 3 year cycle like 2012-13-14???

Look who we have beaten? #3 SCSU, #4 Clarkson, #4 Clarkson, #12 UND, #16 PSU, #17 Harvard, #17 Harvard, #20 Wisc.

And look who we've hung with ON THE ROAD, one goal losses to #1 Notre Dame, #6 OSU, #10 UMD & #15 Michigan. Also got a tie on the road vs Michigan, too.

And look who we HAVEN'T lost to. 7-0-0 vs the Bottom 40.

The only thing so-so about the season is how we've played SO MANY MORE Top 4, 8 & 20 ranked teams that everyone else. And get punished in the polls for it while those that play nothing but creampuffs and get NO big wins at all, get rewarded???

21 to 0 Northestern 0-0
21 to 2 Cornell 1-1
21 to 2 Providence 0-2
21 to 4 Harvard 0-3-1

Those teams are a combined 1-6-1 vs The Top 20. UMn has THREE TIMES MORE Top 4 wins than all 4 of those teams combined have Top 20 wins.

We've been thumped by all of them, too, except for Clarkson. The Gophers have been on the Bi-polar roller coaster most of the year. Some great games, some clunkers. I'd say so-so is a fairly accurate description to the year thus far. Time will tell if you're right about them, and I do hope you are.

We've been thumped by all of them, too, except for Clarkson. The Gophers have been on the Bi-polar roller coaster most of the year. Some great games, some clunkers. I'd say so-so is a fairly accurate description to the year thus far. Time will tell if you're right about them, and I do hope you are.

Yeah, we've been thumped by a few of them,

#1 Notre Dame ON THE ROAD
#3 SCSU ON THE ROAD
#6 OSU ON THE ROAD
#12 UND ON THE ROAD.

But that's it. The Wisc home loss was by just a goal. We outscored PSU 7-6 for the weekend, but yes, those were home games, so not the best performance.

But whats the pattern? Every thumping came ON THE ROAD to a pretty good team.

But just look across the nation, no, not the nation, just look at the other 19 teams in the Top 20 and see if they've lost more embarrassing games than us or not???

UND tied with #60 AA. The worst team in the nation.

The other game in the series UND only won by a goal.

Denver couldn't get the sweep vs #58 LSSU.

Western Michigan lost to both #47 Ferris St AND to Michigan St.

MSU had 4 cracks at us and couldn't beat us.

Dartmouth was only ranked #44, but moved up to #34 I think? Because they got 1 win and a 1 goal loss vs Denver, and then got a tie vs UMD.

#33 Mich Tech beat UMD.

And we cruised by Union, but UND couldn't muster but 1 pt in a weekend series with them.

#26 Colgote PUMMELED WMU 5-1

Bemidji St got 3 points out of a weekend against UMD, outscoring them 5-2 on the weekend.

And those are just the embarrassing losses the nchc suffered.

Clarkson also lost to Dartmouth

MnSt lost to #55 Alaska

Providence lost to #47 RIT

NE lost to #46 Conn

Mich lost to #50 Ferris St

Notre Dame lost to #53 Sacred Heart

Penn St lost to #49 American International

And Wisconsin lost to #59 St Lawrence.

Minnesota's worst loss? To #20 Wisconsin.

We may have gotten thumped a few times, but at least it was to really good teams in their home Arenas.

I'd say a 4-0 loss at North Dakota is worse than a one goal loss in Madison, no matter where the opponent is ranked. Same with a 5-3 loss at home to Michigan. From memory, the Gophers are almost always a good home team. I'd say the rink size also plays a big part of our home advantage/road difficulty. Sad fact, not every game the rest of the year will be at Mariucci. They're going to have to find ways to beat good teams on the road and at NHL sized neutral site rinks. I'll hope, but won't hold my breath, for tournament success in those places.

We DID beat UND in their Arena.

We beat MSU in their Arena.

SCSU only has 3 road wins. SCSU STILL has only 3 road wins, unless they score 5 goals in the last 10 minutes or something.

Oh, and now we beat #1 Notre Dame.

Make that FOUR Top 4 wins, most in the country. No other school in the country can claim as many.

SEVEN games vs Top 4 ranked teams, most in the country.

NINE wins vs Top 20 ranked teams, 2nd most in country, 2nd only to #1 Notre Dame, who we just beat.

TWENTY-TWO games vs Top 20 ranked teams. BY FAR the most in the country. NDm with 17 is 2nd.

Make that FOUR Top 4 wins, most in the country. No other school in the country can claim as many.

SEVEN games vs Top 4 ranked teams, most in the country.

NINE wins vs Top 20 ranked teams, 2nd most in country, 2nd only to #1 Notre Dame, who we just beat.

TWENTY-TWO games vs Top 20 ranked teams. BY FAR the most in the country. NDm with 17 is 2nd.

I've agreed that MN can play with anyone. I've just stated that I have serious doubts about their being able to do it consistently. The pattern of the year so far would predict a Notre Dame win tonight, probably by 2 or more goals. Yes, they're #1, so it could happen in any year. If the Gophers win, maybe that'll mark the upswing you've been talking about.

I've agreed that MN can play with anyone. I've just stated that I have serious doubts about their being able to do it consistently. The pattern of the year so far would predict a Notre Dame win tonight, probably by 2 or more goals. Yes, they're #1, so it could happen in any year. If the Gophers win, maybe that'll mark the upswing you've been talking about.

True, the pattern in the 2nd half of the season has been great effort in the 1st game of a series, followed by a major letdown.

But... hey, NCAA tourney 1st round games are technically the first game of the series in a sense.

And if they win, the 2nd round game, being a new and different opponent, could be like another first game of a series?

I mean, better to get their one good game in the first game of the series, when you are thinking NCAA tourney.

But I more understand how Gopher hockey fans can have come to such a negative view of the team this year, as a 2nd game letdown almost cancels out, in their minds/memories, whatever good happened in the 1st game. The 1st game gives the fan hope for another win or doing better than coming close, only to be disappointed with either a loss instead of a win or a bigger loss instead of a closely fought game still lost.

Both in the PSU series and the first Michigan series, the 2nd game of the series was the better game, but those were just crappy B1G teams right? What stuck in fan's minds was the big letdown after beating UND in the 1st game of that series.

So even the first half of the season, in the typical Gopher fans mind seems like it was filled with 2nd game disappointments even though it was just the one game. Unless you consider beating Clarkson by just 1 goal instead of 2 in that 2nd game was also a letdown??? Heck, even the 2nd game vs Harvard was only a 1 goal win whereas the first was a 2 goal win?

The 1st game vs Army was a shutout, the 2nd game wasn't?

The Michigan home series was the only weekend that didn't follow any kind of pattern.

The SCSU series got a better 2nd game, but I figured that was because it was a home game that it resulted in the better outcome.

And if you are wondering, I bet on college sports and on a variety of sports, and follow several Gopher teams, so with not enough time to watch a lot of games, I used analytics and pattern recognition to help me make accurate predictions and winning bets.

Hence my pointing out the patterns I see.

And my long winded way of saying that I agree with you, "the pattern so far would predict a Notre Dame win tonight, probably by 2 or more goals."

And so I'm with you in hoping that a win tonight may mark an upswing, that honestly I haven't been talking about, lol. But that I guess I may have been indirectly suggesting was needed eventually, in time for the conf and NCAA tourney's at least.

OR, to change the narrative and attitude of the fans concerning this team and maybe even the coach, an immediate upswing, starting with AT LEAST a better effort tonight would help. Like a 1 goal loss might show more effort at least. A tie the same. And a win for sure!!!

Could lead to more confidence among the players, too?

I'd say a 4-0 loss at North Dakota is worse than a one goal loss in Madison, no matter where the opponent is ranked. Same with a 5-3 loss at home to Michigan. From memory, the Gophers are almost always a good home team. I'd say the rink size also plays a big part of our home advantage/road difficulty. Sad fact, not every game the rest of the year will be at Mariucci. They're going to have to find ways to beat good teams on the road and at NHL sized neutral site rinks. I'll hope, but won't hold my breath, for tournament success in those places.

Is the Mariucci ice sheet going to be reduced down to NHL size in the upcoming upgrades? I seem to remember reading that it eventually would be.

Top Bottom