Bracketology

I don't like the NCAA Selection Committee's "Debatable 8". Why should the focus be on the teams that suffer the disappointment of not getting in? As far as the BIG goes, I thought the committee at least selected the right teams. Glad to see Nebraska and the Gophers get the nod over Purdue and Rutgers. I'm a bit surprised at the discrepancy in the seeds between Iowa and the Gophers, with the Hawkeyes getting a #6 and the Gophers a #10. But it doesn't bother me. I'm OK with the Gophers seeding and their portion of the bracket. On another note, I'll beat a dead horse and say again that the Gophers need to learn a lesson from this year and ramp up their non-conference schedule next year. If they didn't have such a lousy SOS, they wouldn't have been on the bubble. Go Gophers! ESPN2 on Friday afternoon.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What is with Iowa getting a 6th seed and Michigan getting a 7th seed???

Yes, Michigan especially was seeded higher than I thought they should have been, especially with the way they finished the season. Maybe the selection committee was trying to make up for last year's snub of the Wolverines.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ers-losers-year-women-ncaa-tournament-bracket

Graham Hays lists some winners and losers:

Winners

Oregon: No team should be happier about its draw. The Pac-12 champion not only earned a No. 2 seed in a region that doesn't include UConn, which is always the first step toward a successful selection day, it could also reach the Final Four without ever leaving the Pacific Northwest. The chance to play in Spokane, Washington, if the Ducks reach the Sweet 16 would be both a homecoming for coach Kelly Graves, who made his name guiding Gonzaga to postseason success, and also the best path forward for his new program.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...oners-deserve-large-bid-women-ncaa-tournament

Creme comments on Oklahoma:

The Sooners get in with a 16-14 record, the worst winning percentage for an at-large team since 1983, when Monmouth was included at 14-14. The last time a team with just 16 wins made the field as an at-large was in 2005 when Purdue went 16-12. Oklahoma's inclusion was precedent-setting...

..Picking a team that was one loss from a .500 record just because it scheduled well is bad optics.

Yes, Rutgers (20-12) limped through the last month, going 3-9 to finish the season. But the Scarlet Knights scheduled well, too. They have more good wins against that schedule than Oklahoma -- and it wasn't really close.

And that's why Oklahoma's inclusion is the biggest head-scratcher if we are truly talking full body of work. Rutgers beat four other at-large teams -- NC State, Virginia, Minnesota and Michigan. Oklahoma beat one.

The Sooners did play better down the stretch, but they only beat teams at the bottom of the Big 12 and had what appeared to be an unforgiveable loss in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament, giving up 90 points to TCU.

Top Bottom