Q&A: Future Gopher Daniel Oturu: "I am looking to get better each day."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Future Gopher Daniel Oturu: "I am looking to get better each day."
By Chris Monter

http://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/877395?referrer_id=

Daniel Oturu, a 6-foot-10 ½ and 225-pound senior center from St. Paul (MN) Cretin-Derham Hall, signed with Minnesota in the early signing period.

Oturu is one of the top big men in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number two prospect from Minnesota in the class.

Oturu is averaging 17.7 points, 11,7 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 2.0 steals and 6.4 blocked shots per game for the Raiders, who are off to a 10-1 start. He has scored in double figures in all but one game, which he suffered an injury versus Hopkins. He has 4 games of 20 or more points, including a season-best 29 points versus East Ridge. Oturu grabbed double figure rebounds in every game but three, including a season-high 21 versus East Ridge. He shot 67.8% from the field and 67.6% from the charity stripe.

Gopher Hole caught up with Oturu to talk and about senior season and future college home.

Gopher Hole: You played a couple of tough teams to start the season, facing Edina, Hopkins and Orono. How much do you think that is going to help you for the regular season and postseason?

Daniel Oturu: It is going to help us a lot. Playing against tough teams like these early in the season, it helps us know what we have to do and what we are going to have to work on and be able to continue to play good against every team. Treat every team like they are the best. That is what we have to do every night.

Gopher Hole: With the crowd here, did it feel almost like a playoff game?

Daniel Oturu: Yes, it did. There was a lot of people here. It is awesome to see that people want to come and watch good basketball, so it gets me a little excited.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you got to play against Jarvis (Omersa). Is that the first time that you played against him?

Daniel Oturu: It is actually the second time that I have ever played against him in high school. I played against him when he was at Tartan. It is always good to play against him because when we play against each other, we always bring out the best of each other, so it was awesome.

Gopher Hole: You two played together for Howard Pulley, but does that get you excited seeing what you could maybe do together at the collegiate level?

Daniel Oturu: Yes. His athleticism is amazing. I can’t wait to play with him. Playing with someone like him is amazing. He can jump out of the gym, so he gets me excited.

Gopher Hole: You signed with Minnesota in the fall. What is the feeling now that you have gotten that done?

Daniel Oturu: You know it feels great. I can focus on myself and my teammates this year.

Gopher Hole: You made it to the state tournament last season and won the consolation finals. What are the expectations for you guys for the season?

Daniel Oturu: We are trying to win a state title. That is the ultimate goal. We take each day at a time, so I’m not looking ahead and looking past anybody.

Gopher Hole: You have all five starters back from last year and should have a good chance. What would it mean to you to win a state title as a senior?

Daniel Oturu: Hard work. Like I said, we have got to treat every team like the best and give it our all each time we come out and play.

Gopher Hole: What is the biggest difference in your game from your junior season to this year?

Daniel Oturu: You know, I have improved a lot. I’m scoring down low and being more aggressive on the offensive end, so that is the deal.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to the Minnesota coaches about what you’d like to get up to weight-wise?

Daniel Oturu: Not really yet, but I think that will come later in the spring, when I am actually there.

Gopher Hole: The Big Ten is known as one of the more physical conferences. Is that something you are looking forward to?

Daniel Oturu: Yes, I am looking to get better each day.

Gopher Hole: The Minnesota-Miami game earlier this season had a great atmosphere with most of the top local recruits in attendance. What were your impressions of that game?

Daniel Oturu: I watched it on TV and it looked like a great atmosphere. A sold out crowd and just watching that gets me excited to play there even more.

Gopher Hole: What is it going to mean to you to make your debut as a college freshman at Williams Arena?

Daniel Oturu: I feel that it is about to be amazing. Having a lot of people watch. I’m about to be really excited.

Top Bottom