Ohio State game

book

Reaction score
What made us give up a prime top 20 home game? I think Pitino is miffed also???

The Big Ten's decision. I'm sure no one at the U is happy about this.

Go Gophers!!

It's not "what" but "who", and the answer is Jim Delany.

Yea this totally sucks. Been discussed ad nauseam but man, we really got screwed on this one.

Just another ploy by Moneybags Delaney to gain a foothold in NYC. I hope our game and the entire BTT is played in front of giant swaths of empty seats.

Whoa, I had missed this. So the Saturday game in New York is considered to one of our "home games"? I guess I had not looked at my tickets.

Whoa, I had missed this. So the Saturday game in New York is considered to one of our "home games"? I guess I had not looked at my tickets.

Correct. We only have 8 Big Ten home games this season.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe the neutral site game at US Bank Stadium can be one of our BIG10 Road Games next year... Any all season ticket holder's tickets for the game are comped...

After the Minneapolis Miracle anything is possible, right?

Giving up a home game

Was against this from the moment it was announced (Pitino is dead right), but now that the season has crashed & burned quite a bit there is a silver lining. If the Gophers somehow beat OSU, they'll get more RPI credit (though either way it'd be a Quadrant 1 win) for beating the Buckeyes on a neutral court than they would at home!

#JimDelanyBlows

#B1GLivingOnTheEastCoast

#B1GFootprint

#ScrewTheSeasonTicketHolders

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Surprised Pitino would say that. I figured he’d say something about how it expands the conference’s footprint and how good it is for recruiting to build the Big Ten brand in this way, even if he didn’t really mean it.

Surprised Pitino would say that. I figured he’d say something about how it expands the conference’s footprint and how good it is for recruiting to build the Big Ten brand in this way, even if he didn’t really mean it.

i'm surprised would think that. pitino is a great interview and rarely talks in coach speak.

i'm surprised would think that. pitino is a great interview and rarely talks in coach speak.

I agree, but there’s a difference between giving candid assessments of what the players look like in offseason practices, versus basically coming out and saying “Man, the conference really screwed us on this one.” Even in his first year here when he was asked about our facilities, he said stuff about focusing on what we do have rather than what we don’t have. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him complaining about a controversial call after a close loss, or speak an ill word about Mark Coyle, or heavily blame personnel losses for this season going downhill. I know he’s pretty honest and straightforward, but outwardly complaining about the conference’s decision seems a little bold to me.

I took the Gopher season ticket holder survey yesterday. For the most part, I'm happy with my experience, but this game is a joke. I made that abundantly clear and will consider not renewing my tickets in part of stuff like this.

I took the Gopher season ticket holder survey yesterday. For the most part, I'm happy with my experience, but this game is a joke. I made that abundantly clear and will consider not renewing my tickets in part of stuff like this.

Ditto.

My emphasis in the survey was (1) garbage home non-conference schedules, (2) giving up a Big 10 home game then making matters worse by not making up for it with a second decent non-conference home game, and (3) off-court issues. Gotta' clean that stuff up, it eventually helps drive people away.

Ditto.

My emphasis in the survey was (1) garbage home non-conference schedules, (2) giving up a Big 10 home game then making matters worse by not making up for it with a second decent non-conference home game, and (3) off-court issues. Gotta' clean that stuff up, it eventually helps drive people away.

One of my many gripes was fan experience. I LOVE The Barn. I LOVE Gopher hoops. They do themselves 0 favors by having some of the crappiest in-game entertainment and no giveaways/promotions. It doesn't bother me, but for the cost of tickets compared to other franchises in the area...they pale by comparison.

Lots of issues and I don't think they are serious about fixing them.

That was pretty much what he did say in the PR that announced this on Jan 27, 2016.

“We are excited for the opportunity to be a part of the Super Saturday doubleheader in 2018,” Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino said. “With the Big Ten Tournament scheduled to be played at Madison Square Garden later that year, it will give our team valuable experience on the court there. Our guys will be excited to play at one of basketball’s greatest venues. We look forward to facing Ohio State in what will be a fantastic event.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012716aac.html

This was 2016, in the middle of an ugly season in which the Gophers were struggling to get 10,000 fans to games (actually attend not just buy tix). Who knew their fortunes would turn around in 2017, and then yet again in 2018?!?!

It's not "what" but "who", and the answer is Jim Delany.
The question is: does the administration of the University of Minnesota along with Coach Dick Pitino have the loyalty to their fan base as their primary driving force to have the courage to boycott this game in the GARDEN in order to make a statement? Are they really upset about this? Or, is it a fantastic opportunity for the GOPHER to continue to recruit NYC and really get in the mix for recruiting the fantasy high school four and five star recruits out in that area? Do the GOPHER ADMINISTRATORS no longer value the checks the BTN cuts them as part of their profit/revenue sharing that goes directly to the Athletic Department?

Or, are they better off just grinning, saying: "...we love the Big Apple and we are honored to play one of our home games in the GARDEN because we really feel at home there..." as they wait for their BIG check from the BIG TEN profit/revenue-sharing annuity that they currently are blessed to receive. Just one way to look at it.... Humility is sometimes needed to collect those BIG checks from the conference.

The question is: does the administration of the University of Minnesota along with Coach Dick Pitino have the loyalty to their fan base as their primary driving force to have the courage to boycott this game in the GARDEN in order to make a statement? Are they really upset about this? Or, is it a fantastic opportunity for the GOPHER to continue to recruit NYC and really get in the mix for recruiting the fantasy high school four and five star recruits out in that area? Do the GOPHER ADMINISTRATORS no longer value the checks the BTN cuts them as part of their profit/revenue sharing that goes directly to the Athletic Department?

Or, are they better off just grinning, saying: "...we love the Big Apple and we are honored to play one of our home games in the GARDEN because we really feel at home there..." as they wait for their BIG check from the BIG TEN profit/revenue-sharing annuity that they currently are blessed to receive. Just one way to look at it.... Humility is sometimes needed to collect those BIG checks from the conference.

Yes, pretty good chance they will boycott game. SMH

Yes boycott. Forfeit the next 4 seasons worth of games. That'll show 'em.

Go back to the Arctic where you belong walrus. Far, far away from this board

Ditto.

Answered my survey with all of the above plus the cost adds up to less value.

Why doesn't the Big Ten play all their games at neutral sites on the east coast? Jim Delaney, are you listening?!

Gophers will win Saturday

Buckeyes are overdue for a stinker, and their talent won't overwhelm Gophers, even without Coffey and Lynch.

Gophers are winning Saturday, and the tone for their season perhaps will change significantly. They'll at least discover they're capable of beating a good team sans Coffey/Lynch,

It's a great opportunity to beat a good team no matter where its played. Im pretty sure we will make the best of the situation. Pitino is right though, it sucks to give up that home game. Would have been huge game at barn if we werent shorthanded.

Good old wramblin' wren!

Never change, you tremendous weirdo.

If Rutgers brings such great value (sarcasm) to the conference and Delany is trying to expand the NYC market they should've been the home team for this game against whoever.

Also, the fact that the Big Ten tourney has been in DC and NYC before Minneapolis is ridiculous in my opinion.

If Rutgers brings such great value (sarcasm) to the conference and Delany is trying to expand the NYC market they should've been the home team for this game against whoever.

Also, the fact that the Big Ten tourney has been in DC and NYC before Minneapolis is ridiculous in my opinion.

For sure. Why not try it out in Minneapolis or Detroit?

Screw the east coast, this is a midwest league.

Buckeyes are overdue for a stinker, and their talent won't overwhelm Gophers, even without Coffey and Lynch.

Gophers are winning Saturday, and the tone for their season perhaps will change significantly. They'll at least discover they're capable of beating a good team sans Coffey/Lynch,

You could be right. OSU has been lackluster vs the press and KBD cooled off the last game. But they have proven to be a fairly well-balanced and well-coached team thus far this season. I would guess OSU will win, but it should be a fun game.

8,000 combined attendance (hoops/puck). Yeah, that seems really worth it.

Top Bottom