StarTrib: Destiny Pitts

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://m.startribune.com/destiny-pi...-team-as-a-freshman/469840823/?section=sports

A brief article on Destiny Pitts.

“What’s working well for me is just staying true to myself and what the team needs me to do,” Pitts said. “Just being in the right position for my teammates.”

She has been named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week five times already this season. As Stollings pointed out, former Gopher Amanda Zahui B. received that same honor a team-record seven times — and she was taken No. 2 overall in the 2015 WNBA draft. Former Gopher Rachel Banham earned the freshman honor five times.

“So to put that in perspective, you don’t get someone to perform at that level very often in your career,” Stollings said. “This is my 19th year at Division I, and I have to say that she is performing as poised and as mentally tough as any freshman that I’ve coached.”

Pitts is third on the team in scoring, averaging 13.7 points per game. She leads the team in rebounding by far with 148 (34 offensive, 114 defensive), an average of 7.8 per game. She’s two behind Wagner for the team lead in three-point shots made with 53, and is shooting 40.5 percent from that range.

Stollings credits Pitts with the time she puts in after hours to absorb all the information she has to — everything from nutrition to the pace of play and basketball fundamentals. Pitts is willing to learn and grow, honing her craft on a daily basis, Stollings said.

“You don’t get a lot of freshmen that are ready to do that,” Stollings said. “They think that they’re already good enough.”

Top Bottom