Drew H leaving Gopher football team

#2Gopher

Reaction score
I tried to do a copy and paste for Drew (Hmjorji/Wide Receiver or something like that) but I see that he has already has been removed from the roster. Anybody know why? Sorry for the "butchered" last name.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can't say I blame him. Even if you love both sports equally, baseball is definitely the choice that he has a greater chance to play professionally and also takes less of a physical toll on the body.

Great news for the baseball team, I wish him well.

I wish Drew well in Gopher Baseball.

Now with Everett Williams grad transferring, Zo Craighton transferring, and Drew leaving football, will they add OSU transfer lineman Kevin Fedor?

Will they award a scholie to a PWO too?

No additional recruits, but we can get transfers to come in and take one of the scholarship slots.

Can we not count two back to 2017 with the early enrollees thus making room or has that accounting gone to the wayside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we not count two back to 2017 with the early enrollees thus making room or has that accounting gone to the wayside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've tried to curb that accounting as much as possible.

Good luck to Drew with UM Baseball.

I liked to watch him at practice, pretty good hands, but I suspect the depth chart was not looking favorable.

I can't say I blame him. Even if you love both sports equally, baseball is definitely the choice that he has a greater chance to play professionally and also takes less of a physical toll on the body.

Didn't play out that way for Decker but he was also a much more accomplished football player then Drew. In general I agree with you though.

Is his goal to play pro?

If so yeah I agree, beyond physical toll, baseball generally just provides a lot more opportunities to work up to the big leagues over time.

Football... not so much.

Didn't Drew have an injury his red shirt year that took a long time to heal?

You think of guys like Jimmy Gere, Nick Connelly and others whose injuries shorten their football careers. It stinks, but that is part of football we cannot predict will happen.

In Drew's case, I think the odds of him cracking the starting line up is dismal given the level of competition at WR. I am glad that he found a landing spot in Gopherland. Reality bites.

If he does want to continue playing football, transferring to an FCS school or DII might give him the chance to blossom as a WR.

I wish him well.

I was really excited for his Gopher Football career. He has a lot of athletic ability and I bet he will do big things on the baseball team.

Drew had shoulder surgery early in his freshman year. Doubt that has much to do with it. Playing 2 sports is extremely difficult. At some point, most have to make a decision on 1 or the other. He's an excellent baseball player and think he'll have success in that.

His dad played minor-league baseball. (now is the AD at SW MN State University in Marshall.) His mother is one of the best athletes in MN history - Mary Jo Miller. (over 2600 pts in HS basketball)

What's our S&C coach doing, and why didn't Fleck take it easier on him in practice?

Good luck to Drew with UM Baseball.

I liked to watch him at practice, pretty good hands, but I suspect the depth chart was not looking favorable.

I kind of wonder if there was something else behind the scenes between him and Fleck. I mean, if he couldn't get on the field last year when he was showing good hands in practice vs. all the guys who had hands of stone out there, you kind of figure there was another reason.

I'm not trying to insult him or say he was a problem, just that we all know Fleck isn't for everybody and they may not have seen eye to eye...

I wish him nothing but the best.

I kind of wonder if there was something else behind the scenes between him and Fleck. I mean, if he couldn't get on the field last year when he was showing good hands in practice vs. all the guys who had hands of stone out there, you kind of figure there was another reason.

I'm not trying to insult him or say he was a problem, just that we all know Fleck isn't for everybody and they may not have seen eye to eye...

He started the last 2 games of the year....

Unlikely. He was injured his whole first year and he played as a RFR after sitting for a whole year. He returned punts and started two games. He's been injury prone since HS and seems that he wanted to see which he preferred in college. He chose baseball.

He had a least two drops and a muffed punt that I can recall, in limited snaps. Seems athletic, possibly just nerves but baseball probably better option considering the other talent waiting in the wings . I think we all had high hopes he was an undiscovered diamond and the next Decker or at least AJ after being awarded 4 stars.

Didn't he have a torn labrum on the shoulder that he had surgery on?

If that is the case, I wouldn't want to return to playing football either. It's like once a kid gets an injury like that, they are never the same. As a WR, you don't want to get repeatedly hit on the shoulder or be driven to the ground on your healed shoulder.

His dad played minor-league baseball. (now is the AD at SW MN State University in Marshall.) His mother is one of the best athletes in MN history - Mary Jo Miller. (over 2600 pts in HS basketball)

I know some school folks in SW Minnesota and they all thought Hmielewski was a dominant HS basketball player. He didn't have the size to play D1 at the college level, but every one of them said he was something to behold at the level he played.

Good luck to him. I'm hoping he does well for the baseball team. Surprised he didn't see the field a little more often this fall, but he was a redshirt freshman.

He had a least two drops and a muffed punt that I can recall, in limited snaps. Seems athletic, possibly just nerves but baseball probably better option considering the other talent waiting in the wings . I think we all had high hopes he was an undiscovered diamond and the next Decker or at least AJ after being awarded 4 stars.

Pretty much this and he also appeared to have hands of stone. There was talk of him possibly moving to safety, so this is not really a surprise.

I know someone close to the football program in Marshall and he pretty much said Drew wouldn't amount to anything in football, but Blaise is the real deal and we're lucky to have him. I will be shocked if Blaise is not starting somewhere on the OL this year.

Top Bottom