ESPN's Schick: Source "95% certain" transfers will be allowed to play immediately

Please don't let this happen. Please. One of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

I just see a future where kids RS at a mediocre school, play a bit as rsFrosh, eventually get developed into solid starting players, and then bolt after their Soph year to go win a title elsewhere. It's gonna absolutely gut smaller programs.

This will lead to anarchy and have to be reinstated. You'd think they'd have the common sense to realize that - but some people always have to learn the hard way.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I understand that not every situation is fair or perfect for the student athlete, but changing the rules does not always equal better for the sport or to attract fans. I know many fans that like the college game over the pro game and spend their money accordingly. A rule like this makes the game much more like the pro game,in fact more so, because a player may move on a yearly basis according to their needs or situation that year.

Again I don't fault them or expect them to stay in a situation that isn't the best for them, but I guess I am not sure why they or anyone else would expect fans to continue to spend their money on college sports if it no longer best suits their situation.

I agree ... this will likely erode my enthusiasm for college sports, but we'll see.

I do think many players will want to move up to better programs if they get the chance, keeping teams like Minnesota from moving up in the world. But I can see teams being decimated when a coach leaves for a better job and takes 10 of their best players with him.

I agree ... this will likely erode my enthusiasm for college sports, but we'll see.

I do think many players will want to move up to better programs if they get the chance, keeping teams like Minnesota from moving up in the world. But I can see teams being decimated when a coach leaves for a better job and takes 10 of their best players with him.

A lot of pessimism coming from fans who's Head Coach is one of the greatest recruiters in the country.

A lot of pessimism coming from fans who's Head Coach is one of the greatest recruiters in the country.

Perfect example. When Fleck came here he brought 10 of his recruits. He probably would've brought a few current players, too, if he could've. I hope Fleck is wildly successful here. But if he is, and he leaves for greener pastures, I expect we'll have some depth issues.

And it is important to remember that this is not good for ALL the student athletes. There is few stories that are as fun to see or rewarding as a guy who bides his time and works hard and then gets his shot as a junior or senior as a reward for their patience and loyalty. Now under the current system there is always the chance that you could get jumped on the depth chart by a really talented freshman or JUCO, but it would hurt a little more if you ended behind essentially a 1 year free agent brought in from let's say a MAC or Sun Belt school.

I think I said this on the basketball thread.

I don't this will lead to chaos or mass transfers. I also do not see the helmet schools trying to raid smaller schools.

My gut - this will largely impact players in two situations: 1. good player on a losing team who wants a chance to play for a winner. and 2. guy who finds himself on the bench or playing special teams for a big school, and transfers to a smaller school in search of playing time.

guys who are happy at their current school are not going to transfer. And the helmet schools have plenty of talent already on their roster, so an Alabama, for example, does not need to raid a MN for talent. Bama probably has guys on their scout team who are just as talented as almost any player at MN. It would have to be a rare situation - an All-American quality player on a really bad team who wants a shot at playing for a National title.

I am pretty sure that's already the case for all walk-ons, preferred or otherwise. Chris Hawthorne was a walk-on K at NC St. and transferred here (on scholarship) without sitting out a year.

I think preferred walk-ons are considered "recruited" since they were invited, thus have to sit out a year (without a waiver). I read the transfer book and it is not very clear.

Here's a quote from an article stating that from NCAA.com, but it's an article, not legislation, so I can't guarantee it's 100% accurate.

Hayes and Nassib also had the advantage of being "preferred" or "recruited" walk-ons in a two-tiered system.

Those "preferred" or "recruited" usually arrive with guaranteed roster spots. Other hopefuls must try out in the spring.

"At one school, 'preferred' might mean you have a guaranteed spot for a year," said Allen. "But at another it might mean that while you don't have to go through an open tryout, there's still no roster guarantee.

"Another distinction is that Division I walk-ons deemed to have been recruited who then want to transfer to another Division I school must sit out a year, just like scholarship players."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...ge-football-walk-ons-uphill-battle-can-be-won

Either way, I'm guessing most schools would apply for a waiver for a walk-on to transfer to get a scholarship if they aren't willing to give one themselves. If it's not automatic right now I think it should be...

I think I said this on the basketball thread.

I don't this will lead to chaos or mass transfers. I also do not see the helmet schools trying to raid smaller schools.

My gut - this will largely impact players in two situations: 1. good player on a losing team who wants a chance to play for a winner. and 2. guy who finds himself on the bench or playing special teams for a big school, and transfers to a smaller school in search of playing time.

guys who are happy at their current school are not going to transfer. And the helmet schools have plenty of talent already on their roster, so an Alabama, for example, does not need to raid a MN for talent. Bama probably has guys on their scout team who are just as talented as almost any player at MN. It would have to be a rare situation - an All-American quality player on a really bad team who wants a shot at playing for a National title.

Look no further than the NFL draft to see that every year there are a plethora of better players all over the country on assorted average teams than are on Alabama. They may have the most, but that is no where close to almost all. Was there any QB's out there this year that they would have preferred over Jalen Hurts?(Besides their backup) Any RB's?

Now there are all sorts of reasons that most guys aren't going to leave their situation, but it is naive to think that a Josh Rosen, Bryce Love, Courtland Sutton, or Bradley Chubb wouldn't make a nice target for a national championship contender. And sometimes they will go for the senior year championship. Or maybe it will be like the NBA where guys stick it out on bad to average teams instead of jumping to super teams for a quick championship and more exposure?

At the same time helmet schools would be able to easily fill holes with top notch talent from other schools. It would be the grad transfer situation but on steroids. You're a really good player on a bad team and a helmet school is thin at your position, it can be very tempting to transfer.
Yup. I think it’d be a net positive for mid tier schools. Big schools probably add a few great players but add a lose a higher quantity of mid level players. People at the bottom likely lose.

I think it is better for the players overall though.

Top Bottom