Video: "Welcome to Athletes Village" - Gopher Athletics (2018)

What a dumb quote from Coyle to start the video -- basically saying our brand new state of the art facility isn't state of the art but instead just okay.

What a dumb quote from Coyle to start the video -- basically saying our brand new state of the art facility isn't state of the art but instead just okay.

Seriously.... wtf was with that quote!?!?!

Then Peyton there does what Coyle should have done.

I look forward to the video board to introduce the team with "We're not Elite, but we're in the neighborhood!"

No kidding. He is DUFUS to the N'TH degree!!

As always, Coyle gets it right and far too many goofballs in GopherHole are out to lunch. Coyle knows hardly anybody in the Big 10 will be talking about Athlete's Village after Northwestern completes their significantly more expensive practice facilities and Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State undoubtedly upgrade theirs within the next couple of years in order to keep up. When that happens the Gophers will have no better than the 5th best practice facilities in the Big 10 but at least they will be in the conversation when recruits compare scholarship offers. Coyle is saying the Gophers are not done with Athlete's Village. There will be a continuing need for the U to invest in its athletic programs in order in order to keep up with the top schools and start regularly competing for Big 10 Championships. Coyle is exactly the right guy to lead the Gopher's into the future. Gopher fans will start to understand that soon enough.

As always, Coyle gets it right and far too many goofballs in GopherHole are out to lunch. Coyle knows hardly anybody in the Big 10 will be talking about Athlete's Village after Northwestern completes their significantly more expensive practice facilities and Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State undoubtedly upgrade theirs within the next couple of years in order to keep up. When that happens the Gophers will have no better than the 5th best practice facilities in the Big 10 but at least they will be in the conversation when recruits compare scholarship offers. Coyle is saying the Gophers are not done with Athlete's Village. There will be a continuing need for the U to invest in its athletic programs in order in order to keep up with the top schools and start regularly competing for Big 10 Championships. Coyle is exactly the right guy to lead the Gopher's into the future. Gopher fans will start to understand that soon enough.

Someday, someone, somewhere, will somehow build something better than what we've got today. That's someday in the future, right now it's time to celebrate. I'm giving two thumbs up, way up, and 5 stars to what we've got.

Coyle should take some sales lessons from Fleck.

Agreed. I have zero problem with what he said. Actually he hits the nail on the head, we need to continually invest in athletics. I guess I don't see a what the problem is.

Shouldn't you be tending to Coyle's injuries?

Gotta love coach Fleck and his enthusiasm. He just pulls quotes out of his ass.

"This isn't just a football complex, it's a life complex" What the hell does that even mean?!

I love PJ and the fact you never know what he's going to say next. Ski-U-Mah!

Thanks for clarifying. When I watched the video, I thought, wow Mark. You just opened the new facility and you're already downplaying it? How did you get this job?

But thanks to you, I now know it was the absolutely smartest, bestest, rightest, gosh darn gee whizziest thing to say. We're so lucky to have you to translate.

Thanks for clarifying. When I watched the video, I thought, wow Mark. You just opened the new facility and you're already downplaying it? How did you get this job?

But thanks to you, I now know it was the absolutely smartest, bestest, rightest, gosh darn gee whizziest thing to say. We're so lucky to have you to translate.

Yes, and nobody can have an opinion except people like you and Slab and Spoofin, etc. You guys who don't like Coyle are always right and always ready to let everyone else know who doesn't agree with you that they are fools. Get a life.

Video: "Welcome to Athletes Village" - Gopher Athletics (2018)

Yes, and nobody can have an opinion except people like you and Slab and Spoofin, etc. You guys who don't like Coyle are always right and always ready to let everyone else know who doesn't agree with you that they are fools. Get a life.

Thanks man. Appreciate the advice. But I have a life. A pretty good one. And an opinion. Is that ok? From your post I’m confused because mine is not in line with Cruze’s, I shouldn’t share it? But since cruze’s isn’t in line with mine it’s ok for Cruze to post it? Didn’t see you slam Cruze for rebutting somone else who thought Coyle was Coyle in the video.

But hey, at least we’re not throwing out personal attacks at each....oh, never mind, you are doing that aren’t you. My bad. Or is it yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyles statement would be equivalent to Fleck making a statement at signing day about the recruiting class: “we don’t need to have a top 30 recruiting class we just need to be in the neighborhood.

Haha I thought the exact same thing. The guy is a PR nightmare.

How's your morning going, Mrs. Coyle?

It is not a great quote- it was an inarticulate way to express that we are going to have facilities that are among the best. That's accurate and appropriate, but I'd have preferred him to tout this as the biggest and best investment that the U community has made into it's student athletes and we are excited about the dividends it will pay for years to come.

The place is absolutely elite- the basketball facilities are fantastic and the football complex area is also elite in pretty much every way. Don't let Coyle's poor sales skills distract you

It is not a great quote- it was an inarticulate way to express that we are going to have facilities that are among the best. That's accurate and appropriate, but I'd have preferred him to tout this as the biggest and best investment that the U community has made into it's student athletes and we are excited about the dividends it will pay for years to come.

The place is absolutely elite- the basketball facilities are fantastic and the football complex area is also elite in pretty much every way. Don't let Coyle's poor sales skills distract you

I think that’s the point.

The Strib article does a good job of touting the facility without over selling it. It celebrates the investment as a step in the right direction.

Coyle’s point, poorly made, that facilities will be an ongoing issue to address, is a reality for another day. It’s not a talking point for the promotion of the opening of the departments major investment - perhaps even crown jewel - regardless of how that jewel compares to the “neighbors”.

#”leadership”

I think that is the main issue. What he is saying is true and actually should be seen as a positive by fans because he refers to the biggest investment the department has made in sports in a long time as "first step" meaning they are planning for the future. But it felt out of place at the start of the video and probably should have been worded differently.

There are some though that will instantly try to find the negative in anything Coyle says because they don't like him.

I'm not always right.... most of the time though...

I think that is the main issue. What he is saying is true and actually should be seen as a positive by fans because he refers to the biggest investment the department has made in sports in a long time as "first step" meaning they are planning for the future. But it felt out of place at the start of the video and probably should have been worded differently.

There are some though that will instantly try to find the negative in anything Coyle says because they don't like him.

Bingo.

That Coyle clip is explaining their plans in a legit way.... but at the start of a promo hype video it was terrible.

At some sort of internal meeting, interview about what they can and can't do, totally fine.

Here's my stream of consciousness thoughts on Coyles remarks:

Coyle has seen many more facilities than we have, just being honest
Coyle knows this isn't the end all and needs to keep the donors wallets open, don't ever let them think we don't need more money and improved facilities.
Coyle had little to do with the success and development of Athletes Village, therefore going to downplay the whole thing, don't want to credit past regimes.
This facility is a top 30 facility, just like our recruiting class....We strive to do better in both areas, still gonna need resources.

It all comes down to funds and Coyle is not about to let anyone think he won't need a lot more to be successful and compete with the true blue bloods of college sports.

So have we decided that it was really the video editor's fault for putting that quote at the beginning and not somewhere in the middle?

So have we decided that it was really the video editor's fault for putting that quote at the beginning and not somewhere in the middle?

Maybe, but i'm pretty sure it is Coyle's department that is in charge of all that.

I don't know if he WANTED to be a wet blanket there, but it is sure his people's job to see the video and say "dude find a better quote".

This is a better description of his quote. While not the best, it certainly wasn't that awful either. If he would've said it is the best ever, people would've blasted him for that also. The guy really can't win. But, I think being Gopher AD in general is a lose-lose with many of the posters here regardless. Some will always dislike the AD.

This is a better description of his quote. While not the best, it certainly wasn't that awful either. If he would've said it is the best ever, people would've blasted him for that also. The guy really can't win. But, I think being Gopher AD in general is a lose-lose with many of the posters here regardless. Some will always dislike the AD.

PJ calls us elite left and right... positive hyperbole is fine on a promotional video is fine.

Wet blanket in a hype video not so much.

Top Bottom