Video: "Welcome to Athletes Village" - Gopher Athletics (2018)

PJ calls us elite left and right... positive hyperbole is fine on a promotional video is fine.

Wet blanket in a hype video not so much.

I wouldn't equate the two together in terms of generating enthusiasm, PJ and Mark Coyle. But I didn't see him as a wet blanket either. I guess that is your opinion.

Coyle needs to do some PR/public speaking/marketing training, that is for sure. Maybe he's great behind the scenes and public speaking is a weak area for him. This is just another example of him not knowing how to speak publicly. This wasn't a huge mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. For someone making as much money as he does, being the face of the athletic department, he has to do better.

Coyle needs to do some PR/public speaking/marketing training, that is for sure. Maybe he's great behind the scenes and public speaking is a weak area for him. This is just another example of him not knowing how to speak publicly. This wasn't a huge mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. For someone making as much money as he does, being the face of the athletic department, he has to do better.

I've always thought that of both Eric Kaler and Mark Coyle. They have no savoir faire in the handling of the sex scandal, and the firing of Tracy Claeys.

They could have used the services of a public relations/image consultant. Tracy Claeys could have been given a cavalier treatment and allowed to go out gracefully.

I was in sales for years, you sell your advantage while you have it, it's OK to say that we can't afford to not invest in facilities or we will fall behind again. The emphasis needs to be on the advantage we have now.

Agreed. I have zero problem with what he said. Actually he hits the nail on the head, we need to continually invest in athletics. I guess I don't see a what the problem is.

If you agree with Cruze you should understand there is a problem even if you don't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyle keeps saying stupid stuff and people keep making excuses for him. smh

You keep saying stupid stuff. What's your excuse?

Most of what I say is accurate. Not popular, but that doesn't make it wrong. It's part of the suffering for us crusaders.

If you agree with Cruze you should understand there is a problem even if you don't see it.

I guess I chose to be more excited about seeing the new facilities rather than attempt to pile on top of a dislike for the AD.

I guess I chose to be more excited about seeing the new facilities rather than attempt to pile on top of a dislike for the AD.

I'm excited about the facilities, too.

While I dislike the AD and have no problem coming from that position, looking at the piece - which came from Coyle's department, and the purpose of that piece, which is in support of his department, his inability to understand what's going on and positively contribute to it is a problem and will continue to hurt the program. His behavior on this front is consistent.

What he said (or tried to say, in my opinon, but did so poorly) is not wrong, but its the wrong thing to say in the wrong platform to say it at the wrong time.

I must not be very discerning. I don't find anything wrong with the video except I would have said "dramatic" instead of "drastic" to describe the change in the basketball players lives.

I'm excited about the facilities, too.

While I dislike the AD and have no problem coming from that position, looking at the piece - which came from Coyle's department, and the purpose of that piece, which is in support of his department, his inability to understand what's going on and positively contribute to it is a problem and will continue to hurt the program. His behavior on this front is consistent.

What he said (or tried to say, in my opinon, but did so poorly) is not wrong, but its the wrong thing to say in the wrong platform to say it at the wrong time.

Oh I get that some people don't like him, what he said or how he said it. In the grand scheme of FacilitiesMas, his comments I doubt will ever mean anything significant, other than continue to anger the I HATE THE AD crowd. Being AD at the U of M comes with automatic "Fire this guy yesterday" takes from a lot of people. Maturi was disliked almost universally it seems, MegaTongue was disliked, even Interim AD Beth Goetz had her fair share of haters here.

Again, had some posters not immediately ripped Coyle in this thread, I honestly wouldn't have given his comments a second thought. Even after that, I have no issue with what he said or how he said it. Just my $.02.

You keep saying stupid stuff. What's your excuse?

Maybe I'm mistaken about Spoofin, but he isn't being paid $800,000 to say the things he says.

And I like Coyle, but it's not exactly reasonable to hold a Big Ten AD and a random message board poster to the same standard.

“ The great thing about the facilities is, I’ve always said you don’t need to have the biggest house in the neighborhood but we want to be in the neighborhood”.

It was an odd self-deprecating statement, considering the context of celebrating the opening. How many recruits visit enough schools to discern which facilities are “the best”? That’s in the eye of the beholder. Create.some excitement. These are the newest, most amazing facilities in the upper Midwest. These are transformational facilities for our athletes and our coaches.

Delete the video. Start over. Roll film. Feature PJ and Pitino not the wet blanket administrator.

As always, Coyle gets it right and far too many goofballs in GopherHole are out to lunch. Coyle knows hardly anybody in the Big 10 will be talking about Athlete's Village after Northwestern completes their significantly more expensive practice facilities and Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State undoubtedly upgrade theirs within the next couple of years in order to keep up. When that happens the Gophers will have no better than the 5th best practice facilities in the Big 10 but at least they will be in the conversation when recruits compare scholarship offers. Coyle is saying the Gophers are not done with Athlete's Village. There will be a continuing need for the U to invest in its athletic programs in order in order to keep up with the top schools and start regularly competing for Big 10 Championships. Coyle is exactly the right guy to lead the Gopher's into the future. Gopher fans will start to understand that soon enough.

For consistency I give you an A.

“ The great thing about the facilities is, I’ve always said you don’t need to have the biggest house in the neighborhood but we want to be in the neighborhood”.

It was an odd self-deprecating statement, considering the context of celebrating the opening. How many recruits visit enough schools to discern which facilities are “the best”? That’s in the eye of the beholder. Create.some excitement. These are the newest, most amazing facilities in the upper Midwest. These are transformational facilities for our athletes and our coaches.

Delete the video. Start over. Roll film. Feature PJ and Pitino not the wet blanket administrator.

Agree. Adding to the comment, insert Thomas Barber. Give thanks to those that helped make it possible and be thankful for what we have.

Save the we are in the neighborhood/ or want to be in the neighborhood comments for when upgrades are needed.

Top Bottom