WSU QB Tyler Hilinski found dead in apparent suicide

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
Link

PULLMAN, Wash. - Pullman police say officers have found Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinski dead in an apartment with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound on Tuesday.

At about 4:30 p.m., officers responded to an apartment at 1620 Northeast Northwood Drive to check on the welfare of a football player that did not show up for practice earlier in the day.

Sad. Proving yet again you just never know what the mental state of someone is. Will be curious to see if more comes out of the story - depression, relationship?

Such sad news to wake up to. Wow.

Go Gophers!!

What a tragedy. It's heartbreaking. Prayers to his friends and family.

So incredibly sad and baffling.
My condolences to his family, friends and all that knew him.

Very, very sad. Hope his family can finally see some peace.

I wonder what type of pressure he was getting from fans. QBs get more **** online than any other player when they have a bad day. People don't seem to realize that there is another human being with feelings on the other side of that twitter handle or facebook account. While I can't say whether or not online interactions were the cause, I'm sure they didn't help.

Condolences to the family and friends. This should serve as a reminder to all of us that the things we say to people online can have real, and sometimes tragic, effects. If you wouldn't say it to their face in person, don't say it online.

I wonder what type of pressure he was getting from fans. QBs get more **** online than any other player when they have a bad day. People don't seem to realize that there is another human being with feelings on the other side of that twitter handle or facebook account. While I can't say whether or not online interactions were the cause, I'm sure they didn't help.

Condolences to the family and friends. This should serve as a reminder to all of us that the things we say to people online can have real, and sometimes tragic, effects. If you wouldn't say it to their face in person, don't say it online.

But we don't know that's what pushed him over the edge. Could have been many things (here are the top reasons: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...201004/the-six-reasons-people-attempt-suicide) - depression being #1.

In any case, a very sad day for his family and friends.

Can't imagine any more pressure from their message boards compared to ours. Ours can get pretty ridiculous. Situation is very sad and I'm sure some players can handle the stupid posts and others can't.

I had a buddy from high school that played LB for the Gophers as a true freshman and was named B10 defensive player of the week twice (IIRC).

He duct taped his wallet to his body (to make sure he could be identified, is the guess) and jumped off the 10th street bridge.

No social media pressure, no "fans" riding his ass, or anything like that.

He suffered from depression, and took his own life. Sadly, it happens every day.

You never know what people are going through, so think for a second before you flip someone off in traffic, write **** on a site like this, or when you see someone in a store that looks less than happy. You don't know their story and a little empathy and kindness can go a long way.

I had a buddy from high school that played LB for the Gophers as a true freshman and was named B10 defensive player of the week twice (IIRC).

He duct taped his wallet to his body (to make sure he could be identified, is the guess) and jumped off the 10th street bridge.

No social media pressure, no "fans" riding his ass, or anything like that.

He suffered from depression, and took his own life. Sadly, it happens every day.

You never know what people are going through, so think for a second before you flip someone off in traffic, write **** on a site like this, or when you see someone in a store that looks less than happy. You don't know their story and a little empathy and kindness can go a long way.

Sorry for your friend and your comments are very well taken. Gotten worse by the day it seems like.

Depression is an awful thing. Worst of all it tricks you into not realizing it is a sickness and not just a mood.

As a parent myself, I cant even imagine what they're going through. I get physically ill just thinking about it.

Its very alarming to see something like this happen to a kid like that, with the world at his fingertips and his whole life ahead of him. Really scary issue that we as society need to take a hard look at and figure out where we're going wrong. IMO, there is a clear disconnect between what the human subconscious needs/wants and the crap with which are trying to fill those holes (material garbage, food laced with various poisons, the societal plague that is social media, the way we're educating ourselves, slowly phasing out the nuclear family dynamic, etc - the list could go on for days). I have no idea as to the cause of the young man's troubles specifically (depression, or whatever), but it's a damn scary result.

The important thing is that people use these tragedies to educate themselves on warning signs and prevention. There is always someone out there you can reach out to. There is a resolution to every problem. Most of all, when you reach that point, try and think about how you're affecting the lives of those around you, specifically parents/siblings/significant others/children. Those that will have to live everyday of their lives wondering if there was something they could've done, or didn't do, to change things. No matter how many shrinks and counselors try and tell you otherwise, that'll never go away. It's a burden that nobody should have to bear.

Condolences to the family. That is truly a sad tragedy for all who love him.

One of my nieces who was in the Marine Corps in the second Gulf War in Iraq committed suicide. She left a deep void in our hearts.

Suicide (and mental illness in general) is a national epidemic.

Not according to Merriam-Webster.

Who ya gonna believe - a fellow Gopher fan in Ski-U-Master or this Webster character?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not directly related but suicide rates appear to be trending up in the younger set since the mid aughts, possibly due to social isolation and social media according to this researcher. Interesting read for parents, even if a bit alarmist.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

Not the first read I have seen linking depression and ultimately suicide to Social Media. Interesting to consider.

Not the first read I have seen linking depression and ultimately suicide to Social Media. Interesting to consider.

They are also eating tide pods.

They are also eating tide pods.

LOL. I saw that too. Of all the things I never would have thought of needing to talk to my kids about. However, I think that story too was blaming YouTube/social media....

LOL. I saw that too. Of all the things I never would have thought of needing to talk to my kids about. However, I think that story too was blaming YouTube/social media....

Wait, I thought we were supposed to blame video games and rock n roll?

I think one thing to keep in mind is just like with a lot of things, social media in the hands of adults (except Cruze), can be a healthy diversion. Kids are more likely to get carried away with it and as a parent of kids in that age range, it's scary.

When my second kid was born 18 years ago I figured young people by now would find taking off the end of the little pinky to be fashionable.

This is a prediction that has not unfolded. Thank goodness.

Posting on YouTube is a very strong force in adolescent lives. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it.

It's all about getting attention. Do something stupid and thousands of people will see it.

When my second kid was born 18 years ago I figured young people by now would find taking off the end of the little pinky to be fashionable.

This is a prediction that has not unfolded. Thank goodness.

Posting on YouTube is a very strong force in adolescent lives. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it.

One could argue it even extends beyond adolescence.
Plenty of adults turning on phones to capture their 15 seconds of fame.

It's all about getting attention. Do something stupid and thousands of people will see it.

And Like or Dislike it. Intermittent Rewards System and highly addictive to the brain. Ask any slot machine addict.

Top Bottom