Work to do......the last 11 games

What’s this thing next to my name?

"We're going to win the Big Ten championship and we're going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. That's my dream, that's my goal and that's my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later." -- Tim Brewster

We may not even get an invite to the Big Ten Tournament, let alone the NIT.

I don't think we even get a sniff from the NIT with that record unless we were to win a minimum of 2 in the conference tourney.

The B1G is only going to get 4-5 teams in the big dance this year. 7-11 in conference would put us about 9th or 10th in the B1G. The NIT typically takes between 1-3 B1G teams. So with that record we'd need to jump at least one or two teams to get a bid. Obviously the NIT doesn't just look at the conference standings to make selections, but I wouldn't expect to make it at 7-11. I don't even think 9-9 would guarantee a NIT bid, and we can forget about the NCAA tourney at 9-9 unless we did some serious damage in the conference tourney.
Depends where we finish. I don't think we'd be 9th.7-11 might be good enough for 6th or 7th.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Depends where we finish. I don't think we'd be 9th.7-11 might be good enough for 6th or 7th.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the three seasons since the B1G expanded to 14 teams a 7-11 conference record would have been 10th place every season. Last year Indiana made the NIT with a 7-11 B1G record, but that was in a year where the Hoosiers beat two teams (Kansas and UNC) that got #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament, and the B1G also got 7 teams in the big dance.

In the three seasons since the B1G expanded to 14 teams a 7-11 conference record would have been 10th place every season. Last year Indiana made the NIT with a 7-11 B1G record, but that was in a year where the Hoosiers beat two teams (Kansas and UNC) that got #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament, and the B1G also got 7 teams in the big dance.

The B1G is so bad this year, outside of the top 5, it might be a huge muddle of 6-8 wins. I could easily see a 3 way tie at 7-11 or something. In that case, I like our chances as we had a better non-conference than most.

NIT...

We tend to draw well for NIT games, which fortunately or unfortunately bodes well for us getting in if we are in the mix (>50% record)...

Nice pic KShoh!

We tend to draw well for NIT games, which fortunately or unfortunately bodes well for us getting in if we are in the mix (>50% record)...

Nice pic KShoh!
If we get in, we will have to travel. We likely would have to hope for a tourney below NIT.

Nice pic KShoh!

They don't factor that in any more. It's seeded.

Season is over, fire this clown and move on; he's had more than enough time.

Big Ten coach of the year to fire him the next.......... unreal

good idea.....not

Exactly! Love how a guy has program going in right direction and then has a suspension, and curry out all year, and then coffey out and now hes the worst coach on the planet. Pitino as a young coach is still probably learning, but it cracks me up that whenever we lose he got outcoached! Never heard anything about him last year when we beat purdue on the road or michigan state in big ten tournament. How dare we say Tom Izzo got outcoached or Matt Painter by Pitino. As a matter of fact i think 2 or 3 years ago pitino must have not made any good moves and we beat michigan state in east lansing! Tom Izzo im sure made all the right moves with all his 5 star guys! lol We obviously get lucky and win despite pitino. I hear on tv all the time by the announcers when pitino makes a good move in a game, but that must fall on deaf ears! Like i said, coaches can always get better but give credit when credit is due. There are moves sometimes i question, but sometimes i have to tell myself that im not at practice and im sure there is a reason why he is making a certain move. Sure there are negatives in the program right and im not happy either that its not gonna end pretty this year, but there are also positive ones that we all want to ignore. People want to fire Pitino, but those who want him fired probably dont even have a plan B they just want him fired without thinking about the big picture and setting the program back yet again!

Big Ten coach of the year to fire him the next.......... unreal

good idea.....not
More like who paid off whom to get him B1G coach of the year?

Lynch being B1G Defensive player of the year to suspended is just as mind boggling, but it happened under RP's helm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Exactly! Love how a guy has program going in right direction and then has a suspension, and curry out all year, and then coffey out and now hes the worst coach on the planet. Pitino as a young coach is still probably learning, but it cracks me up that whenever we lose he got outcoached! Never heard anything about him last year when we beat purdue on the road or michigan state in big ten tournament. How dare we say Tom Izzo got outcoached or Matt Painter by Pitino. As a matter of fact i think 2 or 3 years ago pitino must have not made any good moves and we beat michigan state in east lansing! Tom Izzo im sure made all the right moves with all his 5 star guys! lol We obviously get lucky and win despite pitino. I hear on tv all the time by the announcers when pitino makes a good move in a game, but that must fall on deaf ears! Like i said, coaches can always get better but give credit when credit is due. There are moves sometimes i question, but sometimes i have to tell myself that im not at practice and im sure there is a reason why he is making a certain move. Sure there are negatives in the program right and im not happy either that its not gonna end pretty this year, but there are also positive ones that we all want to ignore. People want to fire Pitino, but those who want him fired probably dont even have a plan B they just want him fired without thinking about the big picture and setting the program back yet again!

Who said he's the worst coach on the planet?

Define "right direction"? Is going from a NCAA tournament bid to no tournament at all the "right direction"?

Do you think that just maybe Izzo and Painter get passes because they have 10 (or more) NCAA tourney wins each?

If you want to stick with the anecdotal evidence, I also remember Tubby beating the #1 ranked team in the nation and winning an NCAA tournament game within the last 7 games before he was fired.

Define "right direction"? Is going from a NCAA tournament bid to no tournament at all the "right direction"?

Do you think that just maybe Izzo and Painter get passes because they have 10 (or more) NCAA tourney wins each?

If you want to stick with the anecdotal evidence, I also remember Tubby beating the #1 ranked team in the nation and winning an NCAA tournament game within the last 7 games before he was fired.

+1. This is a body of work issue. 1 NCAA berth in 5 years. Most likely two of the worst single season B1G records in 30 years. And year 6 looks like a bubble team at best.

you compared MSU and Purdue to MN.....that's funny. Not even on the same planet.
Tubby was done...running on fumes.

they only way to get a program turned around is longevity....
If injury and pore choices didn't hinder this team you would be singing a different tune.....

Pitino and IW are going nowhere

1. No, of course he's not the worst coach on the planet but by reading most posts it almost makes you think he is.

2. Right direction to me would be going to tourney last year and being 13-3 with Indiana coming to town on our way to another tourney this year. Above average recruiting class coming in. Making tourney 3 weeks ago looked as we were bubble team but watching BIG last 2 weeks I'm pretty certain we would have made it.

3. Yes they get passes but my point was that when we lose, pitino gets ripped and always outcoached and when we win, very seldom do we hear anything positive about pitino.

4. That is true and don't want to get into a tubby/pitino argument. Different AD back then and you never know where were headed next few years,but it is also scary to think where we would have been with our 2 recruits foster and ellis.

+1. This is a body of work issue. 1 NCAA berth in 5 years. Most likely two of the worst single season B1G records in 30 years. And year 6 looks like a bubble team at best.

Ive been a fan since i went to school there in the 80's, ive never known us to not be on bubble. We have been a lock for tourney how many years since the 80's?

Want him back for one more go but anyone who expects excellence or has seen it will have a very tough time getting past a very poor body of work off and on the court. Many coaches would have instilled a culture, a identity to hang your hat on everyday. High character and a toughness built in. Many ex players and alumni are embarrassed. Most strong coaches would have won a whole lot more by now and established a sustainable foundation.

Ive been a fan since i went to school there in the 80's, ive never known us to not be on bubble. We have been a lock for tourney how many years since the 80's?

The only time they were an actual "lock" was 1997 as they had the automatic berth as Big 10 Champions.

The other times they were just playing for seed was 1990, 1994, 2005 & 2017.

The only time they were an actual "lock" was 1997 as they had the automatic berth as Big 10 Champions.

The other times they were just playing for seed was 1990, 1994, 2005 & 2017.

Right! So us being a bubble team at best next year makes us pretty much the same as the last 40 years. Just hoping were in the conversation.

There's been plenty of times. in 1990 they were a 6 seed. 1994 a 6 seed. 1995 an 8 seed. 1997. 1999 a 7 seed. 2005 an 8. Last year a 5 seed. None of those are on the bubble.

I'm just not optimistic about next year. This team as it is right at this moment is bad. We lose our best and most important player. His replacement looks like he's not ready for the big time and I think it's only 50/50 he will even be on the team next year. Unless Pitino can pull another Deandrea Mathieu out of his hat, it could get ugly. We've already seen what an otherwise good team with no PG looks like in 2011.

I get it. Your right. I'm just saying 7 times in 40 years isn't much. Seems like most of the time were on pins and needles looking for our name to be called, so next year if were on the bubble it wouldn't surprise me. Like I said I HOPE were in the conversation. We for sure will have the talent.

There's been plenty of times. in 1990 they were a 6 seed. 1994 a 6 seed. 1995 an 8 seed. 1997. 1999 a 7 seed. 2005 an 8. Last year a 5 seed. None of those are on the bubble.

I'm just not optimistic about next year. This team as it is right at this moment is bad. We lose our best and most important player. His replacement looks like he's not ready for the big time and I think it's only 50/50 he will even be on the team next year. Unless Pitino can pull another Deandrea Mathieu out of his hat, it could get ugly. We've already seen what an otherwise good team with no PG looks like in 2011.

Need some guys to step up for sure! Who knows maybe Washington, stockman, Harris, hurt, and our freshman will give us more than we think.

you compared MSU and Purdue to MN.....that's funny. Not even on the same planet.
Tubby was done...running on fumes.

they only way to get a program turned around is longevity....
If injury and pore choices didn't hinder this team you would be singing a different tune.....

Pitino and IW are going nowhere

I was responding to someone who brought up MSU and Purdue. I didn't bring them into the conversation

Top Bottom