BTN: Top 5 MN players to replace (Ayinde, Richardson, Celestin, Santoso, McCrary)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Here are the five biggest players the Golden Gophers must replace.

1. CB Adekunle Ayinde. He was part of a solid secondary. Ayinde finished fifth on the team in tackles with 51, notching 2.5 TFLs with a pick and five passes broken up. He also was versatile, able to play safety and corner. Ayinde helped the Gophers rank No. 3 in the Big Ten in pass defense (174.5 ypg).

2. DT Steven Richardson. A force in the middle who was always double-teamed, Richardson was a load to block at 6-0, 300 pounds. In 2017, he recorded 23 tackles, forced one fumble, recovered one fumble and won the Defensive Trench Award. Richardson netted consensus All-Big Ten honorable mention honors. Alabama transfer O.J. Smith should help fill Richardson’s void, as should JC transfer Royal Silver (who redshirted last year) and Gary Moore.

3. LB Jon Celestin. A team captain who was the heart and soul of the defense, the linebacker finished second on the team in tackles with 78. He also had 5.5 TFLs. Celestin was voted the team’s Defensive Player of the Year. Minnesota is deep at LB, so physically the defense should be fine without Celestin. But it will be hard to replace his leadership.

4. P Ryan Santoso. He is a top-five all-time punter at Minnesota, punting 144 times in his career and averaging 41.8 yards (fourth-best in school history). He also placed 46 punts inside the 20. Santoso ranked fifth in the Big Ten last year with a 43-yard average, punting 66 times. He also hit 29-of-39 field-goal attempts in his career with a long of 52 yards. Santoso was consensus honorable mention All-Big Ten in 2017. Lefty Jacob Herbers should be able to step in for Santoso.

5. RB Kobe McCrary. He was as an underrated force as the No. 3 back, as his 5.3 average per rush and eight touchdowns led the team. A big, physical back, McCrary ran 94 times for 496 yards in 2017. He also was durable, as McCrary was not hurt in his two years here.

http://btn.com/2018/01/15/the-replacements-top-5-minnesota-players-to-replace-2/

Go Gophers!!

We're deep at linebacker?. I've seen the scholarship grid and it didn't look very deep to me. Looks thin if you ask me. Am I way off base here or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're deep at linebacker?. I've seen the scholarship grid and it didn't look very deep to me. Looks thin if you ask me. Am I way off base here or what?

We have guys like Coughlin playing out of position at quasi-DE/LB could be full time linebackers if we fill in DE/DT holes.

Coughlin, Barber, Martin, Cashman. Pretty solid core of returning LB's.

Coughlin, Barber, Martin, Cashman. Pretty solid core of returning LB's.

Agree we have a solid core but it's the depth that concerns me. Like lakerfan said we have guys like CC playing out of position that could bolster depth but is PJ really going to have them switch position a second time in as many years and did we find the bodies to be able to do that at d end?

I think we were deep at LB last year. Not so much next year. Even if Coughlin moves back to LB, our starters will be Barber, Martin and CC. Cashman off the bench for passing situations. Beyond that, I can't think of any backups with game experience. Waters transferred. Celestin graduated. I wouldn't be surprised if Braelen Oliver plays as a freshman. This is kind of the classic issue with Gopher teams - even when we have solid talent starting, we usually lack depth. An injury to any one of the LBs would be pretty devastating.

Backup RB will be interesting to watch this year if Brooks career is really over. Does Femi-Cole finally get his chance? Or will it be one of the redshirt freshmen - Ibrahim or London? I believe Ibrahim was scout team offensive player of the year.

I think we were deep at LB last year. Not so much next year. Even if Coughlin moves back to LB, our starters will be Barber, Martin and CC. Cashman off the bench for passing situations. Beyond that, I can't think of any backups with game experience. Waters transferred. Celestin graduated. I wouldn't be surprised if Braelen Oliver plays as a freshman. This is kind of the classic issue with Gopher teams - even when we have solid talent starting, we usually lack depth. An injury to any one of the LBs would be pretty devastating.

Backup RB will be interesting to watch this year if Brooks career is really over. Does Femi-Cole finally get his chance? Or will it be one of the redshirt freshmen - Ibrahim or London? I believe Ibrahim was scout team offensive player of the year.

Because we were deep at LB last year Julian Huff didn't see much playing time either, but he had more than 50 tackles in his first two years so he did play a fair amount already. That's five seasoned LB's and there HAS to be some serviceable help for them among the guys who haven't got playing time yet. That seems pretty deep to me.

Because we were deep at LB last year Julian Huff didn't see much playing time either, but he had more than 50 tackles in his first two years so he did play a fair amount already. That's five seasoned LB's and there HAS to be some serviceable help for them among the guys who haven't got playing time yet. That seems pretty deep to me.

Plus Trenton Guthrie, I think he was one of the first to come over with Fleck from WMU.

I thank these players as they had more change than what they bargained for. I guess they got a head start on life.
With that stated, our top five list includes a walk on who did a admirable job along with a punter and third string running back. I'm hoping future top 5 lists will have some All Big 10 players.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

per BTN:

1. CB Adekunle Ayinde. He was part of a solid secondary. Ayinde finished fifth on the team in tackles with 51, notching 2.5 TFLs with a pick and five passes broken up. He also was versatile, able to play safety and corner. Ayinde helped the Gophers rank No. 3 in the Big Ten in pass defense (174.5 ypg).

2. DT Steven Richardson. A force in the middle who was always double-teamed, Richardson was a load to block at 6-0, 300 pounds. In 2017, he recorded 23 tackles, forced one fumble, recovered one fumble and won the Defensive Trench Award. Richardson netted consensus All-Big Ten honorable mention honors. Alabama transfer O.J. Smith should help fill Richardson’s void, as should JC transfer Royal Silver (who redshirted last year) and Gary Moore.

3. LB Jon Celestin. A team captain who was the heart and soul of the defense, the linebacker finished second on the team in tackles with 78. He also had 5.5 TFLs. Celestin was voted the team’s Defensive Player of the Year. Minnesota is deep at LB, so physically the defense should be fine without Celestin. But it will be hard to replace his leadership.

4. P Ryan Santoso. He is a top-five all-time punter at Minnesota, punting 144 times in his career and averaging 41.8 yards (fourth-best in school history). He also placed 46 punts inside the 20. Santoso ranked fifth in the Big Ten last year with a 43-yard average, punting 66 times. He also hit 29-of-39 field-goal attempts in his career with a long of 52 yards. Santoso was consensus honorable mention All-Big Ten in 2017. Lefty Jacob Herbers should be able to step in for Santoso.

5. RB Kobe McCrary. He was as an underrated force as the No. 3 back, as his 5.3 average per rush and eight touchdowns led the team. A big, physical back, McCrary ran 94 times for 496 yards in 2017. He also was durable, as McCrary was not hurt in his two years here.

http://btn.com/2018/01/15/the-replacements-top-5-minnesota-players-to-replace-2/

Go Gophers!!

I hope the Kicker/ punter is as good as advertised. I am fearful that Santoso's loss could end up being the biggest. Maybe Hebers punts better than I think?

I have to agree we have some depth at LB. we are going 4-3 so that is 3 backer spots that go to Barber, Martin, Cashman and Huff to choose from to fill the spots. I think all can play and if Coughlin moves back it sets up nice regardless of the redshirts and true freshmen. Richardson was a beast and he will be missed. I hope one of the redshirts can fill the void. Santoso had a cannon leg but struggled a little bit on his control. I did think that the secondary played much better than expected given all that happened and Ayinde really played decent given what he was up against. Good for him for the props.

I thank these players as they had more change than what they bargained for. I guess they got a head start on life.
With that stated, our top five list includes a walk on who did a admirable job along with a punter and third string running back. I'm hoping future top 5 lists will have some All Big 10 players.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. Lists like this show lack of depth and that the team was 5-7. Richardson will no doubt be missed, but 2018 is a completely new team.

I hope the Kicker/ punter is as good as advertised. I am fearful that Santoso's loss could end up being the biggest. Maybe Hebers punts better than I think?

Santoso had a career 41.8 punt average, Mortell was 44. I can't imagine the next guy up will be much worse than Santoso.

I was thinking the same thing. Lists like this show lack of depth and that the team was 5-7. Richardson will no doubt be missed, but 2018 is a completely new team.

Yeah, I think it shows the team was clearly not as talented as some one here though. Ayinde, McCrary, Celestin, and Santoso should not be difficult to replace.

Yeah, I think it shows the team was clearly not as talented as some one here though. Ayinde, McCrary, Celestin, and Santoso should not be difficult to replace.

No, it shows that the senior class didn't have much in the terms of talent. The team on the other hand did and still does.

I thought McCrary was underutilized. His style and strength was a great change of pace, but we rarely used him. Heaven forbid we ever try another quarterback when the the starter is terrible (we'll leave difficult discussions like that for National Champion coaches to have for breakfast,) but couldn't we give a couple series to the back who was averaging over 5 ypc? Fresh legs make a difference sometimes.

Unfortunately, because of his limited playing time, McCrary will be easy to replace.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryerse take over the kicking and punting duties with both Carpenter and Santoso graduating.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryerse take over the kicking and punting duties with both Carpenter and Santoso graduating.

Carpenter is a RS Sr. this coming year so he will be kicking.

No, it shows that the senior class didn't have much in the terms of talent. The team on the other hand did and still does.

It should have more now then it did before. It's difficult to have success with a weak senior class.

Keep riding this...

We had amazing talent, it was just bad coaching, right?

If a senior class doesn't have much talent, how good is a team going to be? And who were the amazing juniors this year other than Rodney that will be difficult to replace next year? And if we don't have NFL talent in either the senior or junior class, how good is the talent we have? Maybe not as good as you think???

Woz and Lingen will be missed. Fleck said both had NFL potential.
Stelter and Merrick were solid at DT. Fleck spoke highly of Jackson potential.
Poock had some good years earlier on, previous staff said he had NFL potential.
McGhee was a big physical safety. He might get a shot.
Wright and Calhoun started a lot of games.
Eric Carter was steady, reliable...seemed to be a leader.
Elmore might get some NFL looks.

With depth not ideal in certain positions, quality PWOs are becoming very important. It will be great if Antonio Montero decides by some miracle to join the Gophers instead of the Badgers as a PWO.

Transfers are part of life for D1 football.

Keep riding this...

We had amazing talent, it was just bad coaching, right?

If a senior class doesn't have much talent, how good is a team going to be? And who were the amazing juniors this year other than Rodney that will be difficult to replace next year? And if we don't have NFL talent in either the senior or junior class, how good is the talent we have? Maybe not as good as you think???

Winfield, Barber, Coughlin, Martin, Smith, Brooks, Johnson, Greene, Weyler, Olson to name a few are players who showed something this past season. They are talented. My comment was not made to take a shot at the coaching, it was made to be optimistic towards the future. Sorry you are butt hurt over that.

per BTN:

Go Gophers!!

What’s interesting to me is that Croft wasn’t on this list. If there is anything we need it’s a QB. Not saying Croft left big shoes to fill, but a QB was the biggest need on the team this past season and next season. I’m hoping Vic or someone else upgrades that position, but until filled, that’s a big, gaping hole.

Woz and Lingen will be missed. Fleck said both had NFL potential.
Stelter and Merrick were solid at DT. Fleck spoke highly of Jackson potential.
Poock had some good years earlier on, previous staff said he had NFL potential.
McGhee was a big physical safety. He might get a shot.
Wright and Calhoun started a lot of games.
Eric Carter was steady, reliable...seemed to be a leader.
Elmore might get some NFL looks.

McGhee will be missed, I think he should be on the list of 5 before Santoso, McCrary, or Ayinde.

Agree we have a solid core but it's the depth that concerns me. Like lakerfan said we have guys like CC playing out of position that could bolster depth but is PJ really going to have them switch position a second time in as many years and did we find the bodies to be able to do that at d end?

Probably the most talented, most experienced, deepest group of linebackers we have had since Holtz.

I would guess Coughlin back to linebacker. With Barber, Martin, Cashman, Huff you have five mature, experienced guys. Trio of incoming frosh of Oliver (Fleck has said he can play right away), Rush (on campus now, tough, athletic, 4.7 speed, great SPARQ score indicates all around athleticism), SoriMarin can provide immediate help as true like Carter, Kamal, and Thomas did on top 20 defense in 2016. Plus Guthrie and Schoenfelder, who may surprise...walk-on got a lot of run in 2017.

At DE, take redshirt off Otomeweo, who they love as a DE and could have helped last year.

They flipped Reigelsperger from SEC and have him enrolled and on-campus now - like Umlor, he will play right away; WI, IA, PU, IN, RU, IL, WVU, TN, KY, Pitt, Duke, ISU all wanted this guy.

They love Umlor and will add strength, size and improve his game.

They get to have Devers and DeLattiboudere in their strength and nutrition program another year and will have them bigger, stronger.

Gibson, a wild card...played well in camp, played early last year, but then injured...if healthy, he will help.

That is six def end guys, plus redshirt comes off Mafe and incoming frosh Ahanotu and Okonji could prove ready as true frosh.

Mafe had freakish athletic skills but was raw. Interested to see him in Spring ball.

Ahanotu has an NFL dad, like Winfield, he will be ready as true frosh...Ahanotu has one of best offer sheets ever for a Gopher DE recruit...20 power 5 offers.

Okonji had half a dozen Power 5 offers.

Very nice pool of nine guys to find two defensive ends from.

Top Bottom