Jamir Harris

He's a combo gaurd. His natural position is 2 guard but will likely be asked to run the point at times due to injury, fouls, etc. Washington is the starter next year no question but this is what pitino has been building to. Having guys that are positionaly flexible so we aren't so hamstrung when someone is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The world isn't limited to what you see in front of you. It is entirely possible that a second point guard will be a player that is neither on the roster now nor among the current commits. We have one open scholarship now and may have another if a player transfers (entirely possible - especially for Fitzgerald).

Coffey and McBrayer are better ball handlers than Harris. Plus there’s potential for a grad transfer. Harris is not a combo guard and struggles to handle the ball. He’s a SG.

No, he's a combo guard... better suited to play the 2, but he's an option to play point.

No, he's a combo guard... better suited to play the 2, but he's an option to play point.

Offensively, when Coffey or McBrayer are on the court with Harris, one of those will probably be the point guard.

Defensively, Harris will have to cover the point guard.

Coffey and McBrayer are better ball handlers than Harris. Plus there’s potential for a grad transfer. Harris is not a combo guard and struggles to handle the ball. He’s a SG.
Do you think players might actually work on various aspects of their game...or are they just static with no improvement? smh

I think the slow starts of both Jamir and IW should be cautionary tales for all (myself included) who expected impact out of freshmen without some growing pains this season. We aren’t pulling in top 20 nba ready guys. Gabe will probably take some time to adjust as well. I’m tempering my expectations early.

I didn't say he would be great right away. I think he can be as good as Harris is. If that is the case, and he provides more defensively and is bigger, its hard to not have him play. I hope all of our guys are much improved next year but Harris hasn't proven much.

Do you think players might actually work on various aspects of their game...or are they just static with no improvement? smh

Harris was an elite shooter in high school but wasn’t highly rated because he’s small and a poor ball handler. It’s obvious he’s still a poor ball handler. Sure he can improve, but it’s a difficult skill for someone to significantly improve on when they’re already in college.

The best ball handlers are natural at it from a young age. See IW. You can tell it’s not natural for Harris.

No he’s not. Watch the games, Murphy handles the ball about as well as Harris.

I have watched the games. He’s only had one game to even seriously evaluate his minutes. Quite the over reaction. I’ve seen some flashes of more than competent ball handling.

Harris believes he can play both guard spots in college.

"Just whatever the coach needs me to be," he said. "If he needs me to play the one and make plays for others, or score on the wing, or score from the ball position, I can do as well. It's whatever the team needs."

What do you expect him to say in an interview?

He got minutes at point in HS, he can run the show if needed.

Right. In high school. Many college players who have no business playing point guard, played some point guard in high school because they were that much better than their teammates and the competition. Similar to how high school teams play guys at QB who have no business playing that position at the D1 level. I know the world won't explode if Harris shifts over and plays some point guard here and there, but it's not ideal since it doesn't fit his skill set. If it isn't an ideal scenario for someone to be getting minutes at point guard, then in my opinion, they aren't a combo guard. I think some people use that term loosely enough where it could be applied to literally any guard in the country.

And he really didn’t get minutes at point in high school. I watched 3 or his high school games and they had another guy (Seton Hall player, member of jelly fam) as there point guard. I don’t think I recall him briniging up the ball once in the games I saw. Did guard the point and was actually matched up against Trevon Duvall in there game against IMG.

I didn't say he would be great right away. I think he can be as good as Harris is. If that is the case, and he provides more defensively and is bigger, its hard to not have him play. I hope all of our guys are much improved next year but Harris hasn't proven much.

Thanks for clarifying. Eating minutes is definitely a possibility. There are 30+ guard minutes per game that will be newly available next year. Hopefully he’s one of those Minnesota kids that seems to come in college ready.

You might be onto something about his size, especially on a game by game basis if he is a decent defender. Mason’s sized was exposed a little bit by Carr the other night.

Even if he is another Harris, I think I take that right now. We need to keep finding ways to pull defenders out of the lane and away from Murph.

Harris was an elite shooter in high school but wasn’t highly rated because he’s small and a poor ball handler. It’s obvious he’s still a poor ball handler. Sure he can improve, but it’s a difficult skill for someone to significantly improve on when they’re already in college.

The best ball handlers are natural at it from a young age. See IW. You can tell it’s not natural for Harris.

Agree. I don't see many minutes for Harris at PG.

No disagreement here that isn't his natural position but lets not pretend he won't ever play the pg from time to time. I'm not getting my hopes up mystery pg recruit is coming or mystery grad transfer is coming to be a backup here.

And he really didn’t get minutes at point in high school. I watched 3 or his high school games and they had another guy (Seton Hall player, member of jelly fam) as there point guard. I don’t think I recall him briniging up the ball once in the games I saw.

Harris did bring the ball up/ran point from time to time, sorry if you missed it.

Harris did bring the ball up/ran point from time to time, sorry if you missed it.

Shaquille O'Neal has claimed that he brought the ball up the court from time to time in high school too. That's one big combo guard.

Shaquille O'Neal has claimed that he brought the ball up the court from time to time in high school too. That's one big combo guard.

Yes sir! This is like the Mo and EE will never be on court at the same time argument/thread! GH is great.

There is a good chance Harris will play some point, I'd rather see us bring someone in to handle those duty's with IW... as we know, people get hurt, kicked off the team, quit, so who knows. Let it play out!

Yes sir! This is like the Mo and EE will never be on court at the same time argument/thread! GH is great.

There is a good chance Harris will play some point, I'd rather see us bring someone in to handle those duty's with IW... as we know, people get hurt, kicked off the team, quit, so who knows. Let it play out!

I'm not saying that Harris will never play any minutes at point guard. If we don't bring in a grad transfer or get a spring recruit, then there's a solid chance that he will get some minutes there out of necessity. All I'm saying is that in my opinion, he is not a combo guard and that him being forced to play minutes there, simply because we are lacking options, doesn't make him one. If you disagree, then I assume you classify Hoffarber as a combo guard as well. I'd personally disagree with that one as well.

I'm not saying that Harris will never play any minutes at point guard. If we don't bring in a grad transfer or get a spring recruit, then there's a solid chance that he will get some minutes there out of necessity. All I'm saying is that in my opinion, he is not a combo guard and that him being forced to play minutes there, simply because we are lacking options, doesn't make him one. If you disagree, then I assume you classify Hoffarber as a combo guard as well. I'd personally disagree with that one as well.

Nope, pretty much agree.. Though, I'd classify Harris closer to a combo than Hoff or more capable to run the point if needed.

Top Bottom