Mark Coyle fell during an early morning run this week and broke his leg.

I'm not really a big fan of Coyle, but what could he have done differently with how he fired Claeys? Firing someone isn't pretty, there is no good way to do it.

2 questions.

1. Why do you think he fired TC?
2. Did he mention anything in your answer to #1 during the press conference explaining the firing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 questions.

2. Did he mention anything in your answer to #1 during the press conference explaining the firing?

1. Doesn't matter.
2. Doesn't matter, and none of anyone's business.

An at-will employee can be fired for any reason, at any time by the employer. Life isn't fair. God, move on people, or at least square up your head.

Have you tried to figure out why it bothers you that some random internet poster thinks MC is a bad person? I absolutely think he is. I think anyone who lies as a first instinct or is dishonest in a position like AD for the sake of self preservation is a bad person. My opinion doesn't relate at all to what a terrible leader and communicator he is - those things don't make him a bad person, just a bad AD.

This is just absolutely disillusion, psychotic talk. I don't think any one of your points are even remotely true. Get some help.

1. Doesn't matter.
2. Doesn't matter, and none of anyone's business.

An at-will employee can be fired for any reason, at any time by the employer. Life isn't fair. God, move on people, or at least square up your head.

He asked what Coyle could have done different. Seems it might matter.

Cue the haters. And lets quit with the notion that Coyle fired Claeys because he wanted to hire his own guy and then lied about the reasons during Fleck's first news conference. Claeys was was going to be fired no matter who was hired as AD. Kaler wanted to get rid of him because of his lack of leadership during the football scandal. When Coyle talked about changing the culture during the news conference that is exactly what Kaler wanted him to say. Kaler gave Pitino a second chance after the the basketball scandal but he wasn't going to allow Claeys to stay.

So you are saying heal quickly Mark Coyle. I wish you a speedy recovery? I agree. You'll also refrain from taking a shot at Coyle or those who execersized their right to question him in the past? I agree with that as well.

I'm not really a big fan of Coyle, but what could he have done differently with how he fired Claeys? Firing someone isn't pretty, there is no good way to do it.

The shrapnel from the long answer to your question is strewn across this message board. The short answer is that he should have just kept it simple and to the point. We've chosen to go in a new direction. I want my guy. And as the new AD this is my call. Done. Instead we get a rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' dissertation on culture which is making him look a bit hypocritical given the current b-ball situation.

2 questions.

1. Because he wanted to bring in his own guy. Happens in every workplace every day.
2. Culture. Given that we had multiple guys accused of sexual assault, 10 suspended and a player boycott, I'm not sure who could argue that the culture was just fine.

The shrapnel from the long answer to your question is strewn across this message board. The short answer is that he should have just kept it simple and to the point. We've chosen to go in a new direction. I want my guy. And as the new AD this is my call. Done. Instead we get a rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' dissertation on culture which is making him look a bit hypocritical given the current b-ball situation.

No doubt Coyle looks hypocritical.

But there is also no doubt the culture wasn't great.

1. Because he wanted to bring in his own guy. Happens in every workplace every day.
2. Culture. Given that we had multiple guys accused of sexual assault, 10 suspended and a player boycott, I'm not sure who could argue that the culture was just fine.

I agree with your why. I also agree that is a perfectly acceptable reason to make the change. However, he never said that was why. We heard about culture. We heard about recruiting rankings. We heard an inability to explain what they would pay TC. Etc. That is what he could have done differently.

The culture talk, on the other hand, coupled with the bball situation simply proves my dishonesty claim that highwayman thinks makes my a "psychotic". Not that the culture was just fine, but that it was why he fired TC. That is something else he could have done differently.

I would have fired Claeys immediately after the bowl game and used the players' walk-out as the reason. I know there are some Claeys' diehards in here, but after that little escapade, I don't see how any self-respecting AD would have allowed a coach to keep his/her position. As a Gopher fan since the 1960s, I've experienced my share of embarrassment, but nothing like what I felt with that action. The near-riot between the Gophers and tOSU on the basketball court during the Musselman era comes close, but that happened in the heat of battle in a very physical and hard-fought game. The players in the walk-out scenario had ample time to consider and re-consider their actions. The fact they didn't listen to Claeys' suggestion to not walk out pretty much said it all to me. Claeys may be one of the nicest guys on the planet, but not getting his team to avoid that action really did him in in my estimation.

I would have fired Claeys immediately after the bowl game and used the players' walk-out as the reason. I know there are some Claeys' diehards in here, but after that little escapade, I don't see how any self-respecting AD would have allowed a coach to keep his/her position. As a Gopher fan since the 1960s, I've experienced my share of embarrassment, but nothing like what I felt with that action. The near-riot between the Gophers and tOSU on the basketball court during the Musselman era comes close, but that happened in the heat of battle in a very physical and hard-fought game. The players in the walk-out scenario had ample time to consider and re-consider their actions. The fact they didn't listen to Claeys' suggestion to not walk out pretty much said it all to me. Claeys may be one of the nicest guys on the planet, but not getting his team to avoid that action really did him in in my estimation.

I agree on the embarrassment of the walkout. But one's personal reaction to that depends upon who you believe is at fault. Claeys for a lack of control over the players? Or, Coyle and Kaler for completely mismanaging the entire situation? I'm happy with where we are at now as a program and with PJ at the helm. But looking back on that situation I tend to fault Coyle and Kaler more than Claeys. And the fact that the team came together and won the bowl game when no one gave them a chance put me more firmly in the Claeys camp.

I agree on the embarrassment of the walkout. But one's personal reaction to that depends upon who you believe is at fault. Claeys for a lack of control over the players? Or, Coyle and Kaler for completely mismanaging the entire situation? I'm happy with where we are at now as a program and with PJ at the helm. But looking back on that situation I tend to fault Coyle and Kaler more than Claeys. And the fact that the team came together and won the bowl game when no one gave them a chance put me more firmly in the Claeys camp.

There's more than enough fault to go around for that sh*t-show, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that a vast majority of big-time coaches wouldn't have walked into the players' meeting and basically said "We're going to a bowl game and if I have to have 11 guys playing both ways, so be it. Seniors, do what you want. Underclassmen, if you walk out, keep walking to your next program because I'm pulling scholarships." Like I said, I don't have anything against Claeys per se, but he really crapped the bed.

Exactly how does a snake heal? Do they shed their skin, burrow in the ground, lie in the sun? Anyone know? I've noticed old snake skin around the athletic facility...

I'm still reeling from the news that I have only three to five decades to enjoy life. I've used up a sizeable chunk of that already. I'm not sure what my next move should be.

I agree with your why. I also agree that is a perfectly acceptable reason to make the change. However, he never said that was why. We heard about culture. We heard about recruiting rankings. We heard an inability to explain what they would pay TC. Etc. That is what he could have done differently.

The culture talk, on the other hand, coupled with the bball situation simply proves my dishonesty claim that highwayman thinks makes my a "psychotic". Not that the culture was just fine, but that it was why he fired TC. That is something else he could have done differently.

I still don't understand why people care about how he said we would "honor the contract in full." The contract said TC would be paid a certain amount of money if he were fired and a certain amount if he were to continue to coach the team. The purpose of the press conference was to announce that he was fired. He got the amount he was due if he were fired. What about that is so difficult?

There's more than enough fault to go around for that sh*t-show, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that a vast majority of big-time coaches wouldn't have walked into the players' meeting and basically said "We're going to a bowl game and if I have to have 11 guys playing both ways, so be it. Seniors, do what you want. Underclassmen, if you walk out, keep walking to your next program because I'm pulling scholarships." Like I said, I don't have anything against Claeys per se, but he really crapped the bed.

Someone should have taken control of the situation. No doubt about that. One could argue either side. And make a good case for who should have grabbed the reigns and taken full responsibility for pulling the the University out of the rediculous, nationally televised tailspin which it was in. Could TC have done what you suggested above? For sure. But the way it was handled by the administration made it seem like they knew they had a lame duck coach. They were fine letting he and his team twist in the wind. I would not doubt if TC felt this and knew he was in an unwinnable situation. He chose to side with his players. And the end result was exactly what it would have been had he not done that.

I still don't understand why people care about how he said we would "honor the contract in full." The contract said TC would be paid a certain amount of money if he were fired and a certain amount if he were to continue to coach the team. The purpose of the press conference was to announce that he was fired. He got the amount he was due if he were fired. What about that is so difficult?

Well, if you think the confusion with how MC answered the question was just an accidental misunderstanding , then we disagree. I see it as another failed attempt by a guy who thinks he can reword things to make himself look better and no one will notice. I would call that dishonesty at worst, misleading at best. Not as bad as the flat out lies he has told, but more of the same.

Typical...make better decisions Mark Coyle. There are 10 plus buildings he could run in on campus. He is paid well enough to join a health club if he prefers. Heal smoothly, learn from your decisions.

Sorry to hear about this.

Wish a speedy and healthy recovery for our AD!

Heal quickly Mark Coyle!

I run outside in the winter myself and this slipping on the ice issue is always on my mind now that I am older. Many times this year I have walked back home to wait for better conditions another day! It's just not worth risking injury.

I'm still reeling from the news that I have only three to five decades to enjoy life. I've used up a sizeable chunk of that already. I'm not sure what my next move should be.

Does the end of the enjoyable decades correlate to date of marriage? Maybe that's what he was referring to.

Wren...

-... .. .-.. .-.. -.. / .-- .- ... / .... . .-. . / - --- ---

--. . - / .-- . .-.. .-.. / ... --- --- -. / -- .- .-. -.- .-.-.-

Billd: ...- . .-. -.--/ .-- . .-.. .-../ .--. .-.. .- -.-- . -.. .-.-.-

Feels like a cover up. Are we sure he wasn't Tonya Harding'ed by a digruntled alumnus wearing a scarf and complaining that he couldn't get on the BOR?

Does the end of the enjoyable decades correlate to date of marriage? Maybe that's what he was referring to.

We are all going to be worm food eventually. I'd like to crack a smile when I croak knowing that the Gophers have won a title or two. :eek:

Heal quickly Mark Coyle!

I run outside in the winter myself and this slipping on the ice issue is always on my mind now that I am older. Many times this year I have walked back home to wait for better conditions another day! It's just not worth risking injury.

I enjoy running outdoors in all sorts of weather. Run with a group of people. It is more safe and enjoyable and can be safer. For those of use who've had running related injuries, it is not worth risking breaking a leg or face planting when it is icy outside.

Can he prove beyond a reasonable doubt of guilt that he wasn't jaywalking? Get the EOAA on it and suspend him from his office duties until further notice.

Top Bottom