Reusse: As a young gunslinger at Purdue, Drew Brees had the Gophers' number

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

The first start Brees made in the Big Ten was as a sophomore vs. the Gophers on Oct. 3, 1998, at Purdue. Final: Boilermakers, 56-21.

At halftime, Brees had completed 21 of 25 passes for 368 yards and four touchdowns. He threw two more touchdown passes in the first 5½ minutes of the second half for a 49-7 lead. His final numbers were 31-for-36 for Purdue records of 522 yards and six touchdowns.

“All the things you see now, we saw in him 20 years ago,” Carter said. “Getting rid of the ball. Going right away to the mismatch. Hitting receivers on the run. You couldn’t blitz him; the ball was gone too fast.

“And, of course, his accuracy … that was superb.”

The Gophers tried to play man-to-man for the most of that afternoon in West Lafayette, Ind. Purdue responded with 692 yards of total offense.

“And we were a lot better defensively that season than the year before,” Carter said. “It was Brees.”

A year later, the Boilermakers came to the Metrodome in late October and had to work much harder for a 33-28 victory.

“Minnesota’s defense was totally different,” Brees said postgame. “Last year, it was all man coverage. This year, they had maybe three snaps of man coverage … but we recognized what they were doing.”

Purdue went run-heavy for that victory. Brees was 28 of 41 for 283 yards with two touchdowns. It was the last college meeting for Carter and Brees. Carter, all 5-foot-9 of him, went on to win the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation’s top defensive back.

“We had the same passion for football,” Carter said. “And we had that underdog connection, too. Brees had people saying he was too short to be a great quarterback. I had people saying I was too short to play football, period.”

Brees had one more game against the Gophers: a 38-24 victory in the 2000 Big Ten opener at Purdue. Brees completed 23 passes for 299 yards by halftime, and finished 33 of 49 for 409 yards.

In three victories against the Gophers, Brees was 92-for-127 for 1,214 yards, 10 touchdowns and no interceptions, while taking two sacks.

http://www.startribune.com/as-a-you...-drew-brees-had-the-gophers-number/469073883/

Go Gophers!!

Breaking news: Hall of Fame QB was good in college, film at 11.

Before Jay Sawvel, everyone including New Mexico State's QB had our number...

Breaking news: Hall of Fame QB was good in college, film at 11.

It is doubtful that any Big 10 quarterback and maybe none in NCAA history compiled these kind of stats against one opponent: "In three victories against the Gophers, Brees was 92-for-127 for 1,214 yards, 10 touchdowns and no interceptions, while taking two sacks".

When Brees was putting up those big numbers against the gophers, Pat's numbers on the "weigh in scale" were even bigger.

It is doubtful that any Big 10 quarterback and maybe none in NCAA history compiled these kind of stats against one opponent: "In three victories against the Gophers, Brees was 92-for-127 for 1,214 yards, 10 touchdowns and no interceptions, while taking two sacks".

Nice try troll

There are plenty in NCAA history every year that compile these stats.

There are plenty in NCAA history every year that compile these stats.

Name one qb who has ever matched what Breeze did playing 3 games against 1 team: 72% completion percentage; 127 passes without an interception;
10 touchdown passes; and 3 wins. I watched all three of those games and in my 16 years with Gopher season tickets I don't think any player played better than Breeze did against the Gophers. Reusse has it right.

The record for TD passes in one game is 11.

Name one qb who has ever matched what Breeze did playing 3 games against 1 team: 72% completion percentage; 127 passes without an interception;
10 touchdown passes; and 3 wins.

I don't think there's an easy way to figure it out by a specific opponent but I think it's safe to say your claim is not close to being accurate. His numbers were very good against the Gophers but there's no way it was the best ever against one opponent.

10 touchdown passes; and 3 wins. I watched all three of those games and in my 16 years with Gopher season tickets I don't think any player played better than Breeze did against the Gophers. Reusse has it right.

His name is Brees. Breeze is another name for a stiff wind. You are an awfully bad troll.

JT Barrett had 10 total tds vs indiana in three years, 15 vs maryland in 4 years, 17 vs Rutgers in 4 years, 11 vs Nebraska in 2 years.

Top Bottom