College Basketball Coaches' Hot Seat (Richard Pitino - Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Doughty:

RICHARD PITINO - MINNESOTA

Richard Pitino was on the hot seat two years ago because of on-court issues. Now the 35-year-old fifth-year Minnesota coach is on the hot seat because of off-the-court issues.

Though the Gophers will likely go from a preseason top-15 team to an NIT berth, that's not why he's on the hot seat. His job is in jeopardy thanks to a pathetic handling of repeated sexual assault accusations against now-senior Reggie Lynch.

https://herosports.com/college-bask...-kevin-ollie-ernie-kent-stallings-pitino-ahah

Go Gophers!!

Garbage article - he corrected issues all last year with speakers, etc. all the incidents are from before the big push to get the players to understand how they reflect the U of M.

Garbage article - he corrected issues all last year with speakers, etc. all the incidents are from before the big push to get the players to understand how they reflect the U of M.

I have yet to read one article that Doughy was shown to be correct. i wasted 2 minutes of my life reading his drivel.

Agreed. A couple of thoughts. It was 16 when all of these happened, earlier in 16, not 17 (Not excusing anything mind you if that was true.) so that's a lot of time. 2nd, do we know if Pitino knew or not? Is that the whole link to the curfew deal?

It's the old Richard Nixon question: What did (Pitino) know and when did he know it?

some people are arguing that IF Pitino and Coyle knew about these allegations before the start of the season, then Lynch should not have been allowed to play. Technically, I believe the U policy is that players are allowed to continue playing during an EOAA investigation, but if it becomes a criminal case, then the player is suspended pending the outcome of the criminal case.

So, Pitino is correct when he says he was following U policy. In one sense, it's more blow-back from the "me too" era. Critics are going to say that Pitino knew, or should have known, that Lynch was preying on women, and that should have been enough to boot him off the team.

At the risk of sounding cynical, if the U was still winning games, Pitino would not be on the hot seat. But, when the team is losing, the other issues become magnified.

I do not see any way Pitino loses his job over this - unless someone could prove that Pitino absolutely knew that Lynch was a rapist, and allowed him to continue playing. Barring that, Pitino is back next year.

Top Bottom