Guard shooting percentages

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
Here are the guard shooting percentages from the last four games. Does something seem amiss? ;)

Opponent, Date, Arena
Player: 2pt%/3pt%/combined FG%

Illinois, 03JAN2018, Williams Arena
Mason: 46.15% / 42.86% / 45.00%
McBrayer: 27.27% / 0.00% / 17.65%
Washington: 0.00% / 0.00% / 0.00%
Coffey: 66.67% / 40.00% / 57.14%

Indiana, 06JAN2018, Williams Arena
Mason: 42.11% / 33.33% / 39.29%
McBrayer: 53.85% / 42.86% / 50.00%
Washington: 40.00% / 0.00% / 33.33%

Northwestern, 10JAN2018, Allstate Arena
Mason: 20.00% / 33.33% / 25.00%
McBrayer: 37.50% / 50.00% / 41.67%
Washington: 16.67% / 33.33% / 22.22%

Purdue, 13JAN2018, Williams Arena
Mason: 20.00% / 0.00% / 14.29%
McBrayer: 16.67% / 50.00% / 25.00%
Washington: 23.08% / 33.33% / 26.32%

I don't think our problems are all big men related.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

When you don't have big men, sometimes the guards have to take things into their own hands. Do you think Konate or Diedhiou would have a better shooting percentage? Murphy has been slumping, but mostly because he is the only post presence - it's easy to take that away if you have a decent defense.

This team just doesn't have depth, it can't be said enough. There's no doubt that Mason is one of the best guards in the conference, and McBrayer isn't a slouch either. But blaming the performances on the guards when they have to play a 1v1 (1v3?) game doesn't seem right.

Even though they’re horrible at 3s, based on those percentages maybe they should only shoot 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though they’re horrible at 3s, based on those percentages maybe they should only shoot 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mason, McBrayer, and Coffey are all above 37% from 3 this year.

When you don't have big men, sometimes the guards have to take things into their own hands. Do you think Konate or Diedhiou would have a better shooting percentage? Murphy has been slumping, but mostly because he is the only post presence - it's easy to take that away if you have a decent defense.

This team just doesn't have depth, it can't be said enough. There's no doubt that Mason is one of the best guards in the conference, and McBrayer isn't a slouch either. But blaming the performances on the guards when they have to play a 1v1 (1v3?) game doesn't seem right.

Pretty easy to defense when you only have three viable offensive threats.

Here's a concept for the guards: follow up on your shot. Don't assume it is going in. Get your own rebound, then put it in closer to the basket.

The ESPN shot chart looks as sad as the shooting percentages from the last three games.
674e7d1a027daea0e4df002a80d352d8.jpg

When you don't have big men, sometimes the guards have to take things into their own hands. Do you think Konate or Diedhiou would have a better shooting percentage?

Well, I don't think they would have a worse shooting percentage than the guards had the last two games even if they shot more. Maybe they should.

Things have changed now. Those players who just came in for a few minutes to give starters a breather a couple of weeks ago have to play significant minutes now and need to be included in the offense. Hurt has taken 8 shots in 6 Big Ten games. That has to change and we can't just be passing and dribbling it around until a starter caliber player heaves an off balance jumper near the end of the shot clock.

the 3 ball is so much more important than NBA because it's closer (much more effective form of attack). I said early in the year that our downfall will likely be related to ineptitude with the long ball. Springs was our key man last year because he could light it up from long range. McBrayer, Mason are decent from 3, Coffey maybe a little bit below them. You won't go far in college basketball with that outside game ceiling.

Sure it does. Forced shots will do that. Need some leadership if you are going to win tough ballgames. The reason the shooting percentages are so low is because half of these shots are bad ones. Hands in face, no ball reversal, early in the shot clock type stuff.

Top Bottom