Gophers Fall Behind Early, Drop Series Opener 5-3 Against Michigan

Reaction score
In a crucial conference game, Minnesota allowed Michigan to score just 14 seconds into the game and the Wolverines never looked back, topping the Gophers 5-3. After beating No. 1 St. Cloud last weekend, the Gophers were disappointed in the effort.

“We’re just not playing good enough,” said Leon Bristedt. “Maybe we got a little better [in the second period] and we played maybe closer to where we’re supposed to be, but we’ve got to be responsible for this.”

Quick Goal

It was the worst possible way to start against a skilled Michigan team as the Wolverines found the back of the net just 14 seconds into the first. Minnesota was able to tie it 1-1, but the early damage was already done.

“We had a bad start, and it kind of went downhill from there,” said Don Lucia. “If you’re Michigan, you couldn’t have drew it up any better there. Create a turnover in the neutral zone and come in and score on your first shot...They were the team that deserved to win the game.”

Upperclassmen Struggle

Throughout the season, Minnesota’s offensive leaders have been relatively quiet. Last year’s leading scorer Tyler Sheehy has just 15 points in 23 games while Leon Bristedt is struggling even more with only five points in 24 games. Each tallied an assist Friday, but Sheehy ended the night a game-worst -3.

“When your top guys are -2 and -3, it’s just not a good recipe to win,” said Lucia.

The always-honest Bristedt put it more bluntly after the game.

“Bottom line is we’re not playing good enough,” said Bristedt. “The captains, myself we older guys have to make sure we bring experience. We’re not scoring at the pace we should or we’re used to. We’ve got to pick our game up.”

Freshmen Light the Lamp

As Minnesota’s upperclassmen struggled, their freshmen kept them in the game. Casey Mittelstadt, Scott Reedy, and Brannon McManus all lit the lamp to give the Gophers a chance. The highlight was another snipe from Mittelstadt on the rush.

By The Numbers

14 Seconds into the game when Michigan found the back of the net. Minnesota responded quickly, but a tough way to start the series at home.

29 Scoreless power play attempts for Minnesota was finally broken when the Gophers hit paydirt with the man advantage in the second period. What a disastrous streak for such a skilled team.

19 Shots for the Wolverines, yet five goals (including one empty-netter). It wasn’t really a lack of goaltending, a couple nice shots by Michigan and a fluky bounce were all the visitors needed.

Three Stars

3 Michigan swept the three stars on Friday. Brendan Warren was the third star with two goals.

2 Tony Calderone added two assists.

1 One of the youngest players in the country - freshman Michael Pastujov - came into the weekend with just one point in six games but tallied a goal and an assist in the victory.

What’s Next

The Gophers will look to salvage the series tomorrow evening at 7pm.

There was a certain symmetry- a Sadek give away for a goal at the start and a Johnson give away for a goal at the end. In between there was a large dose of disinterest. Reedy looked like he popped his shoulder on a dust up in front of the net, went down the locker room tunnel and then came back in the third to score. So there was that.

I watched it for a while. Had trouble watching the game for a number of reasons. My time is more valuable than that.

We were listening to Lucia's post-game interview on the way out of the ramp. Lucia used the phrase "mind numbing".

After our split with #1 SCSU, we were on the verge of moving up into #2 seed territory, and with just one bad outing, we've dropped down to #13, just one more bad outing needed for us to be on the outside looking in.

This team needs to kick it into high gear and win tonight or things are going to be tough the rest of the way.

After our split with #1 SCSU, we were on the verge of moving up into #2 seed territory, and with just one bad outing, we've dropped down to #13, just one more bad outing needed for us to be on the outside looking in.

This team needs to kick it into high gear and win tonight or things are going to be tough the rest of the way.

Which goaltender do you have more confidence in?

Which goaltender do you have more confidence in?

I was at last night's game right near the ice where the Gophers goalie was for two periods, neither really made me feel good. However, even though Scheirhorn didn't play poorly, he just seems to be lacking confidence. He looked slow to react and "flail-y". On the contrary, Michigan's goaltender seemed cool and in control when I saw him up close. Was in position and had several pucks hit him even though he never saw the puck due to the traffic in front. I'm not saying I wish we had him, just noticed the difference in confidence.

On offense, the Gophers were constantly trying to make too many passes. Several times a Gopher forward had driving lanes towards the net with no defenseman in the way. Instead of making a move on the goalie or shooting, they'd try to shove a pass through traffic. I'm no hockey genius, but they appear to lack a killer instinct. I know Bristedt is having a down year, but he's the only guy I noticed going full speed every shift.

Same headline works for tonight. The most memorable moment was Lindgren's hit.

So our B1G goalie of the year 2 years running is having confidence problems and our Senior class is doing very little to contribute this season?? Is that players with serious issues or major coaching issues??? I just don't get it?

So our B1G goalie of the year 2 years running is having confidence problems and our Senior class is doing very little to contribute this season?? Is that players with serious issues or major coaching issues??? I just don't get it?

The goalie observation is mine alone. Only what I perceive to be confidence issues based on what I saw in one game. So take it for what it's worth. He is the two-time Big Ten goalie of the year, but who was his competition? Wasn't exactly a tall order to bring home that award since we're still the only team to ever win the Big Ten regular season title.

As for the rest of the guys.....who is the last player you noticed get markedly better through his time with the Gophers? I'm having a hard time with that one. Maybe Tony Lucia. Seems like it's been forever since a senior was our best player and true leader. Now, I know the top shelf guys don't stick around for four years very often, but it seems like a senior should almost always be your best player.

who is the last player you noticed get markedly better through his time with the Gophers? I'm having a hard time with that one. Maybe Tony Lucia. Seems like it's been forever since a senior was our best player and true leader. Now, I know the top shelf guys don't stick around for four years very often, but it seems like a senior should almost always be your best player.

That is an interesting question.

Top Bottom