B1G is here to STAY, so get over it already!!!

KillmeNow

Banned
Reaction score
OMG, the whiney old codgers who can't handle change are what? Going to take down Gopher hockey to prove a point???

Any Gopher fan that hates the B1G, needs to get over themselves and move on!

Notre Dame and PSU and Ohio St are more than willing to take over the leadership roles in the conference, while Gopher fans whine and bitch and moan about how things used to be, and how badly the B1G sucks.

The B1G is not the problem, change happens. There was a time when Wisconsin didn't exist, when Michigan and Notre Dame were in the same conference as Minnesota.

Gopher fans need to move on, and not only accept, but they need to embrace the changes.

If Gopher fans do not embrace the changes, if they do not embrace the B1G, then other programs will usurp the Gophers at the top of the B1G and Gopher hockey might turn out like Gopher football, once great, but now irrelevant.

I agree and the conference will continue to get better. I would be surprised if high level D1 players would rather go to UND, UMD, or SCSU vs Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan or Minnesota. The B1G should blow the other smaller schools away as they have the Big Ten Network money, facilities and the more attractive academics.

I agree and the conference will continue to get better. I would be surprised if high level D1 players would rather go to UND, UMD, or SCSU vs Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan or Minnesota. The B1G should blow the other smaller schools away as they have the Big Ten Network money, facilities and the more attractive academics.

I agree, too, that it will get better. However, I believe that MN, MI, and WI have all got to be genuinely good and competing tightly with each other for a conference and national championship for interest to be restored. Honestly, who has been heavily emotionally invested in competing with Penn State? It's going to take time to replace to rivalries with North Dakota, Denver, UMD, etc., but a rising tide lifts all boats.

Recruits looking to play college hockey probably don't really care about their diploma, at least the guys that want to get into the NHL. UND, Denver, etc put guys in the NHL just as much as the Gophers do. Also, UND and UMD don't play in dumps either.

I agree, too, that it will get better. However, I believe that MN, MI, and WI have all got to be genuinely good and competing tightly with each other for a conference and national championship for interest to be restored. Honestly, who has been heavily emotionally invested in competing with Penn State? It's going to take time to replace to rivalries with North Dakota, Denver, UMD, etc., but a rising tide lifts all boats.

Recruits looking to play college hockey probably don't really care about their diploma, at least the guys that want to get into the NHL. UND, Denver, etc put guys in the NHL just as much as the Gophers do. Also, UND and UMD don't play in dumps either.

I hear you about the NHL being accessible to anyone talented and playing D1 hockey, but I would think the B1G campuses would be a heckuva a lot more fun than Grand Forks or Duluth.

I hear you about the NHL being accessible to anyone talented and playing D1 hockey, but I would think the B1G campuses would be a heckuva a lot more fun than Grand Forks or Duluth.

Maybe those smaller cities are less distracting, though. I grew up in a town pop. 350......I have way more fun in small towns than I do in the cities. But I totally understand your point.

Top 20 ranked B1G teams records vs the current PWR Top 20 ranked teams

12-3-1 - Notre Dame
8-12-1 - Minnesota
6-5-1 - Ohio St
6-8-2 - Michigan
5-8-2 - Penn St
5-8-3 - Wisconsin

42-44-10 combined. (92 total games)

7-6-3 combined w/l record of the 3 Top 20 ECAC teams vs the Top 20 (16)

0-2-0 combined w/l record of the 2 Top 20 HE teams vs the Top 20 (2)

13-17-0 combined w/l record of the 3 Top 20 WCHA teams vs the Top 20 (30)

41-34-5 combined w/l record of the 6 Top 20 nchc teams vs the Top 20 (80).

B1G maybe not the best conference out there right now, but they are not far off.

Another perspective is that those 6 B1G teams combined have only 9 losses vs the bottom 40 teams, and 4 ties.

while the nchc's 6 Top 20 teams have a 37-15-15 record vs the bottom 40 teams.

44-9-4
vs
37-15-15

So they play more games vs less quality teams and come out with way more losses and ties.

As far as the Gophers are concerned, UMn compares pretty well to all in the B1G cept Notre Dame. Hopefully we can do a bit to equal that out a bit this weekend?

Duluth has the cheapest beer on tap. How could a hockey fan say no? Plus their new arena makes Mariucci look like a dump. Finally, Mariucci sports the last Olympic sized ice rink on the planet. Not even the Olympics use it anymore. If you love hockey and outdoor activities, Duluth kicks Mpls @$$.

Why do you put so much stock in top 20 designation when there are only 60 NCAA hockey Teams?

Gophers should always be in the top 10.

By the way, joining the B1G has done more to beef up the other B1G teams than it has benefitted the Gophers. The old WCHA may not have made as much money or helped our conference but it was better for recruiting and seems to have produced better Gopher teams.

Why do you put so much stock in top 20 designation when there are only 60 NCAA hockey Teams?

By the way, joining the B1G has done more to beef up the other B1G teams than it has benefitted the Gophers. The old WCHA may not have made as much money or helped our conference but it was better for recruiting and seems to have produced better Gopher teams.

He finds any random stat he can and sticks to it for a crap ton of posts. Instead of who can yell the loudest it becomes who can type the most. But it gets to the point where it's not worth the time to read. Interesting he doesn't take the Lucia defense act to GPL since he'd get run out of there probably.

First of all, the Gophers ARE in the Top 10.

My reasons for the Top 20 designation are many.

#1 - 16 teams make the NCAA tourney. So looking at the Top 20 teams at this point in the season probably includes at least 14, maybe 15 of the teams that will end up in the tourney. Northern Michigan and BG for example are the 2 teams with realistic hopes of winning their conference tourney and getting in, while MnSt is ranked high enough they will still get in, as it stands. Wisconsin is another, with a few good weekends, or a nice run in the conf tourney, they could move up. Minnesota could have a few bad weekends and drop out. Looking much past the Top 20 you won't find more than maybe 1 or 2 teams with a legit chance to move up far enough to get in.

#2 - USCHO.com and USA Today's polls are what? Top 20 I believe, at least one of them is. So how am I being so peculiar?

#3 - With precisely 60 teams in Div 1 mens chk, dividing things up as Top 20, Mid 20, Bottom 20 was easy, practical, easy to understand, etc..

There was absolutely NOTHING random about it.

Cbb has hundreds of teams, 68 make the Big Dance, yet the standard measurement there is Top 25, Top 50, Top 100. Why? Nice even numbers, they are practical, easy to understand. NO ONE questions them.

Women's College Hockey puts out a Top 10 poll, yet only 8 teams make the tourney? So how does a Top 20 for men with only 16 teams making the tourney not make sense?

Because a Top 5 ranking would just be ridiculous. I mean, come on. And a Top 10 for men, well, might have been fine when only 12 teams made the tourney, or back when only 4 did. But now with 16? A Top 20 is just right.

He finds any random stat he can and sticks to it for a crap ton of posts. Instead of who can yell the loudest it becomes who can type the most. But it gets to the point where it's not worth the time to read. Interesting he doesn't take the Lucia defense act to GPL since he'd get run out of there probably.

Nothing random about it whatsoever.

Cbb selection committee considers a loss to the #99 ranked team an acceptable loss. But a loss to the #101 ranked team is considered "A Bad Loss".

Why the cut off at 100? Simply because 100 is a nice even round number that you can divide up into the Top 50, and the Top 25. Top 25 matching the Top 25 polls. Top 50 coming close to matching the # of teams with a shot at making the at-large field.

So why not Top 20 in hockey? USCHO.com poll is a Top 20 poll. Isn't it?

And I'll take the Lucia defense anywhere, you think I'm afraid of the GPL??? lol

And I'm not saying we should stick to Lucia over a home run hire or someone like Potulny, who in my opinion would be a home run hire. My issue is all the talk about bringing in Motzko. What has he done other than beat our Gophers a few times?

Nothing.

it helps that the golden domers have joined the B1G. but i would rather see the gophers in ncha or wcha either one would be more desirable than watching play in the B1G. Also hurts recruiting playing in the B1G. Really think Riley Tufty plays UMD over the Gophers if the Gophers are in the ncha or wcha? I don't, better competition in the ncha.

it helps that the golden domers have joined the B1G. but i would rather see the gophers in ncha or wcha either one would be more desirable than watching play in the B1G. Also hurts recruiting playing in the B1G. Really think Riley Tufty plays UMD over the Gophers if the Gophers are in the ncha or wcha? I don't, better competition in the ncha.

You honestly think that there is better competition in the WCHA???

Mankato is their #1 team right now. Northern Michigan, who just lost to Alabama-Huntsville is their, or was their 2nd best team before tonight. Although their 3rd best team, Bowling Green ALSO lost, no, GOT CRUSHED by a very average at best Michigan Tech team 4-0 yesterday.

NMU is ranked 19th, BG is ranked 18th. The WCHA's 2nd and 3rd best teams???

6 of the 7 B1G teams are ALL ranked better than that.

THREE of the Top 9 teams in Men's NCAA Div 1 Hockey are B1G programs right now!!!!

As for the NCHA as you call it, NCHC is what it is, btw. But as for them, teams like SCSU, WMU, Omaha & Miami of Ohio have a grand total of FOUR Frozen Fours in ALL OF HISTORY!!!!!

Woog matched that from 86-89, and got let go because it wasn't good enough!!!

The old WCHA matched that in 2005.

UMD and CC are that conference's 3rd and 4th most "decorated" programs.

And those 2 programs only have 3 Titles between them. MSU by itself can match that.

So they are all basically riding on the coattails of Denver and UMD.

But the B1G has old blood with Minnesota, Michigan & Wisc combined with new blood in Notre Dame & Penn St. And if MSU gets their sh1t together the conference will be FAR MORE competitive than the bs NCHC will ever be. At least long term. Oh, I didn't include Ohio St in there because I didn't know whether to label them old blood or new blood? But they are ranked #6 right now, so, that's pretty good. Go B1G!!!

Top Bottom