Coaches auditioning and killing recruiting interest

DL65

Reaction score
Iowa State's head football coach, Gene Chizik, recently interviewed at Auburn University about its vacancy. Chizik, former defensive coordinator at the Alabama school prior to his stint in the same position at Texas, has been at the Ames school two full seasons.

According to stories in the Des Moines Register, Chizik's interview has been met with less than excitement by the Auburn fans, as expressed on the radio sport shows in Alabama.

Chizik's flirtation with Auburn has seriously impaired the recruiting efforts of the Cyclone staff, and probably not for this season only (assuming he remains at Iowa State. I don't see him getting the Auburn job, but, then again, what do I know?). Gopher fans know all too well the problems the flirtations of Glen Mason caused in recruiting: "When the phone rings, I answer it!" (Michigan State, LSU and active pursuit of his dream job, Ohio State)

Lou Holtz would like to ask his players and them of themselves: "Can I trust you? Can I believe in you?" We know the answer to those questions, as it related to Holtz. The recruits at Iowa State have to be scratching their heads now, too.

Go Gophers!!

That's what grinning Glen did here at the U as well. Look how his recruting fell off after the Ohio State thing. It became apparent that we were just a stepping stone. I think as a head coach you better be very sneaky at how you approach these things.

I can't blame Mason for having interest in other jobs; LSU and Ohio St especially. He would honestly be an idiot if he didn't take those jobs.

How many of you would turn down even a chance at doubling your salary and working for a "more successful" company?

I can't blame Mason for having interest in other jobs; LSU and Ohio St especially. He would honestly be an idiot if he didn't take those jobs.

How many of you would turn down even a chance at doubling your salary and working for a "more successful" company?

How many of us would expect a favorable work image if you made it well known you wanted out and they just weren't good enough for you. It can be true that you want these jobs, but not in the eyes of those around you. You should keep it on the down low. With Mason even if it wasn't true the perception is that there were a lot of other jobs he'd take which generally left me with the percetpion that he thought pretty poorly of Minnesota and his chances of achieving something here. It's the image of himself he created.

I think we all understood Ohio State was his ND, and I think we all understood that and maybe even accepted that, it's the perception that he seemed to want to be almost anywhere else with a decent program.

Even if it wasn't true, he did little to change that perception.

Once it is known that a coach is interviewing for a better job, one way or another he is finished where he is at. It's a matter of time. Move on now, move on later, but not too much later.

You can't have it both ways, we got Mase from KU and there weren't a lot of gripes about whether or not he was being fair to them.

Its a fact of the coaching ranks, coaches are nomadic and I think, if done tastefully there is nothing wrong with testing the waters. An example of a coach being a snake, and where I can see fans legitimately being pissed off-- Bobby Petrino.

Coaches can be nomadic

Your point, What Up Guy, is well taken. However, in the case of Mason he played games while in Lawrence, Kansas as well, and a lot of the fan base had tired of him. Prior to his last year in Kansas he was going to bolt for Georgia, but just before the start of the Aloha Bowl he said he was staying with Kansas. There was a big drop off in the win column the following year, and Mason then left for Minnesota.

What can get old, however, is when the head coach continues to say how happy they are and that they're not looking around. Case in point, a couple weeks ago, Chizik was telling the local media how happy he and his family were in Ames and that's where he would end his coaching career. (Yeah, right!) Lou Holtz said similar things while he was courting/seeking the Notre Dame job. Holtz, of course, didn't make/take the time to say good bye to his players when he accepted the Notre Dame head coach position; the same players he told: "Can I trust you? Can I depend on you?"

I hope Iowa State had a big buy-out clause in Chizik's contract. The departure of Chizik couldn't have come at a worse time for the Cyclones, as far as recruiting goes.

Go Gophers!!

As far as the buyout clause, Auburn owes Iowa St. 750,000.00 for it. Maybe they can use that money to find a new coach.

My thoughts on interviewing for another job and this goes for everyone, not just coaches: Don't be stupid about it. If you are interviewing, you do it discreetly and you do not let the word get out publicly. Only when the move is imminent should word ever get out.

What Mason did was extremely stupid. You do not broadcast it all over the place you are looking for another job and then expect your players to listen when you talk about loyalty or honoring your commitment. Opposing coaches will eat you alive if they are recruiting the same player. Also, don't expect the community to buy into your program if they think you are just looking to get out. If Mason had been out working as hard for defensive players as he did working various colleges for their football job, he probably would still be here.

Coaches leave all the time, but I think it is very important to get someone in who wants to stick around and build a dynasty there, not just use it as a stepping stone. Guys like Barry Alvarez or Kirk Ferentz could have moved on to greener pastures and more money, but they stuck around and that is the kind of guy we need here. Some people thought we should hire Chizik as our coach a few years ago and I am glad we didn't --- he was one of those "greener pastures" guys and he would have left us high and dry as soon as possible.

As far as Brewster goes, I believe he will stick around, but until he has been tested we really don't know for sure. Just wait until he has that real breakout season and then we will find out for sure.

Brewster is here for the long run because he has a point to prove.......

Thailleagle, I hope you are right. He seems to me to be one of those "Dynasty builders" to me - you can tell by how hard he is recruiting. I don't think I have ever seen anyone work as hard and relentlessly as Brewster and that is a good sign right there.

Good opinion on Brewster staying. I'd add one thing and that will be whether or not we have
enough money to keep him here. I believe he has a rapport with Maturi, including a sense of
loyalty, but it will take money to keep him after he has his breakout season.

Good opinion on Brewster staying. I'd add one thing and that will be whether or not we have
enough money to keep him here. I believe he has a rapport with Maturi, including a sense of
loyalty, but it will take money to keep him after he has his breakout season.

Strokemonster - good points. I think you're right on that. Brewster seems like a loyal guy, but he's no fool. If other schools come calling and we don't up the ante, how could he refuse? That said, I'm sure Maturi will up the ante when the time comes.

Top Bottom