Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. Default

    The season is at the halfway point, shouldn't matter if you didn't prep for zone. This game wasn't about prepping for a zone defense...and if it was, then the team should know how to attack a zone by now. It's not like we were embarassed by a zone in the NCAA Tourney last year or something.


  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    Wasn't that long ago Gopher Holers were praising Pitino for his coaching and his recruiting. Since we've lost two major contributors this week and one before (Curry) the season started the same people are now bashing him. Washington is learning, Hurt is learning to play more etc. Things will get better eventually but not to the point of our expectations before the season started however due to the circumstances.
    Yeah, the folks that did that (praising Pitino) were wrong. It was premature. No doubt he's a good recruiter, otherwise he hasn't proven himself as a coach. This is his 5th year and at some point he has to be responsible for his record as coach. Next year is huge for coach, he has a lot to prove.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Blaine, MN
    Posts
    3,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gogogopher View Post
    Yeah, the folks that did that (praising Pitino) were wrong. It was premature. No doubt he's a good recruiter, otherwise he hasn't proven himself as a coach. This is his 5th year and at some point he has to be responsible for his record as coach. Next year is huge for coach, he has a lot to prove.
    His sixth year better show marked improvement, if he gets one. Otherwise, there is going to be a sh!tstorm of negativity on GH.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Photobucket

  4. #19

    Default

    I agree because there's never any negativity on gopherhole lol

  5. #20

    Default

    This program last two years has had a bunch of momentum going forward and it still does but we've had some misfortune last two weeks and now everyone thinks pitino needs to go. The reason weve gotten to making tourney and expecting to make it this year is pitinos building of the roster. Its not perfect but hes done a pretty good job building roster last 3 years. We're not duke, but many people on here think because we've lost basically two all big ten players plus curry that we should still be winning. Not gonna happen. Right now I hope were still competitive but not sure how many we will win rest of way. That's the reality. I hate the fact that that's the truth because I was looking forward to seeing what our seed would be and possibly winning a couple games in tourney but that's not gonna happen now.

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gophereric30 View Post
    This program last two years has had a bunch of momentum going forward and it still does but we've had some misfortune last two weeks and now everyone thinks pitino needs to go. The reason weve gotten to making tourney and expecting to make it this year is pitinos building of the roster. Its not perfect but hes done a pretty good job building roster last 3 years. We're not duke, but many people on here think because we've lost basically two all big ten players plus curry that we should still be winning. Not gonna happen. Right now I hope were still competitive but not sure how many we will win rest of way. That's the reality. I hate the fact that that's the truth because I was looking forward to seeing what our seed would be and possibly winning a couple games in tourney but that's not gonna happen now.
    So what if the team is not competitive the rest of the way? What will you say then?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Naples, Florida - Hugo, mn
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gogogopher View Post
    Yeah, the folks that did that (praising Pitino) were wrong. It was premature. No doubt he's a good recruiter, otherwise he hasn't proven himself as a coach. This is his 5th year and at some point he has to be responsible for his record as coach. Next year is huge for coach, he has a lot to prove.
    Well besides being named btn coach of the year and having multiple all big ten players, winning a nit championship, improving every year as the year goes on, no he hasnít proven anything.....

  8. Default

    Wrong, his 2nd and 3rd season(worst in the history of the program) the team did not get better. So this will make 3 out of 5 seasons the team did not. And if you are touting nit championships you and I have vastly different ideas of success. After this dumpster fire is over his conference winning percentage will be in the low .300s. He is 27-50 in conference and counting.

    And to further the point his 2nd season ended 4-6 no postseason appearance.
    3rd season 2-8 obviously no postseason appearance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thymanst View Post
    Well besides being named btn coach of the year and having multiple all big ten players, winning a nit championship, improving every year as the year goes on, no he hasn’t proven anything.....
    Last edited by rivergopher; 01-13-2018 at 06:46 AM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    11,044

    Default

    People are being hasty ripping Pitino just as bad as they were being hasty crowning this as a Final Four team. So let's pump the brakes a little and see how this plays out. That said, one thing you can say for sure: in his career so far, he's followed up successful seasons with disappointing seasons. He's had a hard time carrying momentum forward into the next year. Even within seasons or within games, his teams have often had trouble handling success. As a young coach, these are things he needs to recognize and address in his way of doing things.

    He's got both humility and arrogance in him, and they come out in different ways and at different times. When he's succeeded, it's been a product of his humility. When he's failed, it's been borne of his arrogance.

  10. #25

    Default

    I said I HOPE were competitive. I also hope we battle and play hard but we've lost 3 of our top 6 guys. Can't win in big ten with a depleted roster. I really don't expect to win many more games with this roster. Take anyone outside of the blue bloods and take 3 of their top 6 guys away and tell me how competitive they will be. I hope I'm wrong.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Naples, Florida - Hugo, mn
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivergopher View Post
    Wrong, his 2nd and 3rd season(worst in the history of the program) the team did not get better. So this will make 3 out of 5 seasons the team did not. And if you are touting nit championships you and I have vastly different ideas of success. After this dumpster fire is over his conference winning percentage will be in the low .300s. He is 27-50 in conference and counting.

    And to further the point his 2nd season ended 4-6 no postseason appearance.
    3rd season 2-8 obviously no postseason appearance.
    It must be great to look at the glass half empty all the time. Not one mention of anything positive in your post. Last year was a success. He was BTN coach of the year. We had multiples awards to players with expectations high this year. He has continued to figure things out and optimism for the future is bright - I see him figuring out how to go forward in the future. (Some of his mistakes will be off the books next year.) recruiting has also improved. Bad luck this year has curtailed a team that would be better than lasts.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thymanst View Post
    It must be great to look at the glass half empty all the time. Not one mention of anything positive in your post. Last year was a success. He was BTN coach of the year. We had multiples awards to players with expectations high this year. He has continued to figure things out and optimism for the future is bright - I see him figuring out how to go forward in the future. (Some of his mistakes will be off the books next year.) recruiting has also improved. Bad luck this year has curtailed a team that would be better than lasts.
    How many Big Ten teams want their 5th year coach to be 'figuring things out'? Pitino has another season to show he can get it done, but lets be honest here, it's an open question. Two years ago it was a nightmare. Hopefully this year doesn't descend to that level. I wonder what Teague is up to?

  13. Default

    Ok keep smelling all the roses and daisies. You stated something that simply is not true his teams don’t always get better. Now 27-51 and counting. Keep your head in the sand he is in way over his head. His one good season is the outlier not the norm. The way things are progressing they will not even be good enough to make the nit 3 out of 5 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thymanst View Post
    It must be great to look at the glass half empty all the time. Not one mention of anything positive in your post. Last year was a success. He was BTN coach of the year. We had multiples awards to players with expectations high this year. He has continued to figure things out and optimism for the future is bright - I see him figuring out how to go forward in the future. (Some of his mistakes will be off the books next year.) recruiting has also improved. Bad luck this year has curtailed a team that would be better than lasts.
    Last edited by rivergopher; 01-13-2018 at 11:46 AM.

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thymanst View Post
    It must be great to look at the glass half empty all the time. Not one mention of anything positive in your post. Last year was a success. He was BTN coach of the year. We had multiples awards to players with expectations high this year. He has continued to figure things out and optimism for the future is bright - I see him figuring out how to go forward in the future. (Some of his mistakes will be off the books next year.) recruiting has also improved. Bad luck this year has curtailed a team that would be better than lasts.
    +1
    3 of our top 6 out, Fitz, Jelly, Hurt, and Harris to a degree short of expected/hoped for impact, Our program is not deep enough to absorb that much. Not many are, but I believe we are heading in the right direction. I also believe continuity with our coach is the right move for a few more years. Unfortunately so many want to over analyze every step in the process.

    I get it, itís a message board. Have at it. Itís cool - we can disagree like adults.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #30

    Default

    He wouldn't have to be figuring things out if we didn't lose lynch and Coffey! Why do people think that we can just lose those guys and we should still be as good as a ranked team?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •