B1G Game 6: Gophers visit Rutgers (1-13-18)

Even though the stats would appear to indicate Bryanna should play more, there are games where she just doesn't seem to "be there". That can account for getting pulled quickly, I'd guess. She can have great games and then it is like she's not game ready the next game. Given her size and "skills" that got her highly recruited as a high school player, we keep wanting to see those skills every game, and they just aren't always there. I'd still like to see her just elevate off the floor a bit. Three active posts give the coaches lots of options if they are all ready to play.

Even though the stats would appear to indicate Bryanna should play more, there are games where she just doesn't seem to "be there". That can account for getting pulled quickly, I'd guess. She can have great games and then it is like she's not game ready the next game. Given her size and "skills" that got her highly recruited as a high school player, we keep wanting to see those skills every game, and they just aren't always there. I'd still like to see her just elevate off the floor a bit. Three active posts give the coaches lots of options if they are all ready to play.

Speaking of which, it's worth noting that the Gophers have a ton of posts, if, in addition to those active three, we also count Bello's sister and Lamke. Do we think all of them are on scholarship on this team that often barely cares about post play?

Speaking of which, it's worth noting that the Gophers have a ton of posts, if, in addition to those active three, we also count Bello's sister and Lamke. Do we think all of them are on scholarship on this team that often barely cares about post play?

It's worth remembering that Lamke and Edwards were late emergency adds after Zahui B turned pro and Barnes injured her knee in Community College. Of course we do seem to have a late, emergency add philosophy.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else think Pitts got fouled on the game-tying 3point shot? I mean I know its a hard call to make but the defender went into her and knocked her over. My Guess is if that Scaife, refs would not have hesitated to make the call. just wondering if anyone else thought there was contact there.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else think Pitts got fouled on the game-tying 3point shot? I mean I know its a hard call to make but the defender went into her and knocked her over. My Guess is if that Scaife, refs would not have hesitated to make the call. just wondering if anyone else thought there was contact there.

Carey may have just caught Pitts with the body on Destiny's follow through. At least that what it appears from the end line camera. I couldn't see much from the side line camera. Destiny was waving her arms for the ball almost from inbound. The set up for Carlie just barely got shut down; but Rutgers left a passing lane to Destiny.

View attachment 5357
Fernstrom .41 pts per minute played
Edwards .27 pts per minute played
Bello .33 pts per minute played
That mean Fernstrom scores 35% more efficiently than Edwards and 20% more efficiently than Bello although the numbers can be skewed with Bello because she sometimes plays the 4

I agree...that's the point I was trying to make with higher ceiling. Give Fernstrom Edwards minutes and the points scored for the positon would increase by almost 30%. That's how analytics help in these situation. I can't really find any other stats that wouldn't go this way either when comparing it on a per minute played basis. Plus with time it looks like Fernstrom actually gets going as seen in MS game. Not to mention, there is a visual difference that her size makes in the paint defensively, but don't know how this can be proven by a stat, it's just an eyeball thing. I'm not anti Edwards. I just think when size matters, ceiling goes to Fernstrom, speed goes to Bello, who even when in at the 5, plays like a 4 (that's not a rip, it's a good thing as this is her game) so they should be able to play together more. Against Scaife, I'd have loved to have seen both size and speed inside and less Bell. Size alone should have been able to stop her penetration or alter her play after getting by the guard.

Top Bottom