Scholarships

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
I don't follow basketball recruiting, but decided to take a look at how this storm gets weathered for the future.

Correct anything that is wrong for 2018-19. 12 Scholarships.

FR = 3 Oturu, Omersa, Kalscheur
SO= 3 Washington, Harris, Curry
JR= 2 Coffey and Hurt
SR = 4 Johnson, McBrayer, Murphy, Stockman

Is it correct that we have space for 1 more scholarship? Where do we need to most help if we have one spot left?

This year we had about 7-8 dependable scholarship players.
Next year I have to believe that every player list above outside of Johnson will contribute and see playing time. Would be nice to fine a JC transfer to go in the class with Hurt and Coffey.

I don't follow basketball recruiting, but decided to take a look at how this storm gets weathered for the future.

JR= 2 Coffey and Hurt

Is it correct that we have space for 1 more scholarship? Where do we need to most help if we have one spot left?

Next year I have to believe that every player list above outside of Johnson will contribute and see playing time. Would be nice to fine a JC transfer to go in the class with Hurt and Coffey.

Jarvis' scholarship doesn't count against the teams scholarship. However I'm pretty sure that Fitzgerald was granted a 6th year of eligibility this fall, so his spot would take Jarvis' in your list.

I may be wrong here but I don't think Johnson's counts but Fitzgerald might have another year (taking the place of Johnson). So my guess is that your count is right unless Fitz decides to move on.

For the question of where we need the most help: I'd really like to see another PG added. Either a grad transfer who can play immediately or another freshman. Not sure who is still available in the 2018 class, and obviously we won't know about grad transfers until later.

JR= 2 Coffey and Hurt

Fixed.

SO = 3 Washington, Harris, Curry
JR= 2 Coffey and Hurt
SR = 3 McBrayer, Murphy, Stockman
GR TR = 2 Crandall (North Dakota), Travis (Stanford)

(note, this is called wishful thinking)

Starting 5
PG = Geno Crandall
W = Dupree McBrayer
W = Amir Coffey
C/PF = Reid Travis
PF = Jordan Murphy

"Play 8, Trust 7" Bench = Curry, Washington (if he stays), #8 TBD

That'd be a really solid top 7, barring injury or stupid decisions off the court.

Fixed.

SO = 3 Washington, Harris, Curry
JR= 2 Coffey and Hurt
SR = 3 McBrayer, Murphy, Stockman
GR TR = 2 Crandall (North Dakota), Travis (Stanford)

Starting 5
PG = Geno Crandall
W = Dupree McBrayer
W = Amir Coffey
C/PF = Reid Travis
PF = Jordan Murphy

Bench = Curry, Washington (if he stays), then everyone else

That's be a really solid top 7, barring injury or stupid decisions off the court.

I agree SS, but what about Fitzgerald- doesn't he have another year?

Yes, Fitz was granted a 6th year of eligibility. My guess is either he or Stockman doesn't return, or Harris or Washington transfers.

He has the option to play another year with the medical redshirt. But I'm assuming he has his degree, and if Pitino doesn't think he's going to contribute much he may tell Fitz to look for greener pastures either as a grad transfer or overseas professionally.

We desperately neeeeeed another PG to back up IW next year. Unless Pitino is grooming Jamir Harris into more of a PG this year (his limited minutes thus far have done nothing to make me expect this as he has only played SG), we do not have any sort of plan for that role.

Yes, Fitz was granted a 6th year of eligibility. My guess is either he or Stockman doesn't return, or Harris or Washington transfers.

Washington wants to play ball. Anything could happen, but I would have a hard time imagining IW being willing to sit out a year when the opportunity for starting at the point in the Big Ten is just sitting there for him. I don't think he is going to fault Minnesota or coach Pitino for the bad shooting streak he's in and Pitino has given him a pretty long leash to shoot his way out of it -which I believe he will.
I think it is just a matter of time before IW goes off and has a big night shooting. If that happens it may lift him for the future. I am certainly glad we didn't give up on McBrayer when he couldn't shoot a lick for most of his frosh year- he was 3 for 26 in his first 15 games before he got going and today he is shooting 38% from 3pt range.

But your guess that SOMEONE will transfer is well backed by history.

Regarding the Travis grad transfer, maybe I’m just being negative due to recent events here, but Travis coming here next year or Hurt commiting next year became less likely. If this season ends with a bunch of turmoil and a crap record, I’m not sure either of them want to spend a year here. It’s not like it’s the plague, but both guys could probably go somewhere with more stability (Hurt’s case) or a more likely winner that isn’t coming off yet another season of turmoil.

I doubt Pitino gets fired, but Hurt may have to wonder if Pitino jumps ship next year to get out of this. Travis may just want to finish his career with a team that will bring back some promising freshmen from this year and avoid this, even if most of the dust has settled on the Lynch issue.

I doubt Pitino gets fired, but Hurt may have to wonder if Pitino jumps ship next year to get out of this.

Laughable. Who's going to hire him that's not a massive step down in pay and prestige? It's not like other major conference schools will be clamoring for him with his Big Ten winning percentage in the ballpark of 36-37% after 5 years.

And what do you mean when you say "to get out of this"? A situation and roster that's entirely of his own creation? He should consider himself lucky if he doesn't get fired after this season, let alone be in a position to "jump ship".

He has the option to play another year with the medical redshirt. But I'm assuming he has his degree, and if Pitino doesn't think he's going to contribute much he may tell Fitz to look for greener pastures either as a grad transfer or overseas professionally.

The program doesn't owe him another year on scholarship. He's gotten 3 years paid to play one year.

Travis

Regarding the Travis grad transfer, maybe I’m just being negative due to recent events here, but Travis coming here next year or Hurt commiting next year became less likely. If this season ends with a bunch of turmoil and a crap record, I’m not sure either of them want to spend a year here. It’s not like it’s the plague, but both guys could probably go somewhere with more stability (Hurt’s case) or a more likely winner that isn’t coming off yet another season of turmoil.

I doubt Pitino gets fired, but Hurt may have to wonder if Pitino jumps ship next year to get out of this. Travis may just want to finish his career with a team that will bring back some promising freshmen from this year and avoid this, even if most of the dust has settled on the Lynch issue.

Excellent point.

Up until Lynch's off the court garbage, I thought Travis coming here was at least a possibility, certainly in terms of having a better chance to play in the NCAA Tournament his last season. That's possibly no longer the case, Stanford may be in better position to do that next season.

But now with all this crap and the uncertainty (and national ridicule) surrounding the program, no chance he's coming here. By all accounts he's a classy kid, doubt he wants to jump into it even if things settle down, as you said.

Unlike Claeys, Pitino has his nose deep into Coyle's backside. He won't be fired unless another player infraction rises up from the dung heap of UMN.

Laughable. Who's going to hire him that's not a massive step down in pay and prestige? It's not like other major conference schools will be clamoring for him with his Big Ten winning percentage in the ballpark of 36-37% after 5 years.

And what do you mean when you say "to get out of this"? A situation and roster that's entirely of his own creation? He should consider himself lucky if he doesn't get fired after this season, let alone be in a position to "jump ship".

What if someone like UNLV or an SEC school offers a big payday? Yes, it’s his own doing, but he may want a fresh start.

Either way, you’re suggesting he could get fired. If you’re Hurt and have the option of any school in the nation, do you want to commit a year early to a school that may not have the coach recruiting you? Maybe he could get out of his LOI, but I’d imagine that if a state school is going to fend off the bluebloods for a prized recruit, said state school basically has to have everything going for it.

What if someone like UNLV or an SEC school offers a big payday?

What if Gophers football wins a national championship? That is more likely than your hypothetical.

And I don't think Hurt is coming here regardless.

What if Gophers football wins a national championship? That is more likely than your hypothetical.

And I don't think Hurt is coming here regardless.

I’m not proclaiming this as likely, but either Pitino gets canned or falls out of favor is a possibility as you noted. And while I don’t see a ton of openings, maybe he makes a lateral step or a move down to start anew to get ahead of it.

I’m not predicting either of these as probable, but I wouldn’t be shocked if either happened.

Up until Lynch's off the court garbage, I thought Travis coming here was at least a possibility, certainly in terms of having a better chance to play in the NCAA Tournament his last season.

Lynch was gone either way, not sure how this changes our chances to get to the Tournament next season.

Lynch was gone either way, not sure how this changes our chances to get to the Tournament next season.

Thinking in terms of potential uncertainty surrounding Pitino and a couple assumed returning players, more of a cloud around the program kind of thing. Ideally Reid would become the next Akeem, a difference-maker in getting Gophers into the NCAA. After this season, I'm assuming nothing about 2018-19 NCAA chances. I probably should have started that years ago!

Thinking in terms of potential uncertainty surrounding Pitino and a couple assumed returning players, more of a cloud around the program kind of thing. Ideally Reid would become the next Akeem, a difference-maker in getting Gophers into the NCAA. After this season, I'm assuming nothing about 2018-19 NCAA chances. I probably should have started that years ago!

Got it. The current mess doesn't help our chances in any way.. It would be huge for the program, a rotation of Reid, Curry and Muph would be pretty impressive.

Got it. The current mess doesn't help our chances in any way.. It would be huge for the program, a rotation of Reid, Curry and Muph would be pretty impressive.

Absolutely. And best thing is all 3 are different kind of players/forwards.

I think the idea of Pitino going to another power 5 job next year is a huge reach. The Pitino name in general is damaged and he's going to be over 20 games under .500 in conference in 5 years. That's not going to excite many fan bases, even in the basement of the SEC. I was in favor of him staying, but the end sort of feels inevitable now. If there's another off court incident anytime soon, he'll be gone. And if next year is another non-NCAA tournament year, he'll be gone. I never like keeping a dead coach walking. He's not quite there but it's close. If anyone significant like IW transfers and makes next year a guaranteed train wreck, it'll push it over the line IMO.

Also, not that in the right situation we could not win this battle, but if Reid opened up recruiting as a grad transfer, he’d be getting calls from most bluebloods the way he is playing this year. He has been dominant. He’s maybe only a slight step down from being at the level of an Ethan Happ or Jordan Murphy type of impact in the paint.

I think the idea of Pitino going to another power 5 job next year is a huge reach. The Pitino name in general is damaged and he's going to be over 20 games under .500 in conference in 5 years. That's not going to excite many fan bases, even in the basement of the SEC. I was in favor of him staying, but the end sort of feels inevitable now. If there's another off court incident anytime soon, he'll be gone. And if next year is another non-NCAA tournament year, he'll be gone. I never like keeping a dead coach walking. He's not quite there but it's close. If anyone significant like IW transfers and makes next year a guaranteed train wreck, it'll push it over the line IMO.

Yes, before the year, in a perverse way, I thought that Rick Pitino’s problems were helpful for us in keeping Richard. It may sound weird, but I’m not sure that Wake Forest (completely random example) would want to put out news that they’ve hired a guy named Pitino.

It’s hard to know what will be open, but I’m just saying even if it’s a slightly a lower profile job like one of the Mississippis or the chairs shuffle and Seton Hall opens up...maybe? I’m coming up with completely random examples, but maybe he can slither out and Coyle will not mind it given the issues anyways.

Yes, before the year, in a perverse way, I thought that Rick Pitino’s problems were helpful for us in keeping Richard. It may sound weird, but I’m not sure that Wake Forest (completely random example) would want to put out news that they’ve hired a guy named Pitino.

It’s hard to know what will be open, but I’m just saying even if it’s a slightly a lower profile job like one of the Mississippis or the chairs shuffle and Seton Hall opens up...maybe? I’m coming up with completely random examples, but maybe he can slither out and Coyle will not mind it given the issues anyways.

That could possibly be the best for everyone. Ben Howland is doing well at Miss. State. So that's not opening unless he leaves (I wouldn't mind him here.) Jobs like Mississippi and Wake could be open. I still think they will find better candidates. Not everyone is as scared of their shadow as MN, but it would still bring negative press.

That could possibly be the best for everyone. Ben Howland is doing well at Miss. State. So that's not opening unless he leaves (I wouldn't mind him here.) Jobs like Mississippi and Wake could be open. I still think they will find better candidates. Not everyone is as scared of their shadow as MN, but it would still bring negative press.

Yeah, while most of these were cases of me making up an opening that could fit with no evidence, just pulling up 2nd or 3rd tier major conference jobs, Mississippi State did come up due to me wondering if Howland was maybe just reaching the end of his career or time there in general.

Nobody is hiring Pitino. What has he honestly done to show that he is atop someone's list of candidates? Don't get me wrong I like the guy and want him as our coach but he overachieved last year in one good season. We were then "upset" in round 1 anyway. We've had multiple suspensions on his watch, terrible conference records, and years where we have not met expectations (at least in my opinion).

These aren't things that should lead to him being fired, but they certainly don't help his cause for being hired somewhere else unless he takes a big step backwards.

regarding the last Scholarship..... are there any rumors on who that person would be?

Top Bottom