***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Yes he does, good season or bad, he sees the end of his college career. Nothing for him to hold back on.

He didn't show up to play team ball on both ends. Maybe this is the wake up call he needed tonight. This should be a challenge to him and Murphy to raise all of their teammates a notch and win some games before Coffey returns.

He has a nice shot. IW...please learn from him. You can create, but until you can actually shoot please dish. Man alive the kid likes to shoot.

IW is a great shooter. He's just a terrible maker.

And there's Mason losing his cool and getting a T.

This Mason will be. I think the other Mason will be tough to replace.

That's fair, there seems to be some small rumblings on these boards lately about Mason's attitude and demeanor which as a senior has to be toxic to the rest of the team.

Way to cap it off, Mason. Tremendous showing of leadership and effort. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Mason will be. I think the other Mason will be tough to replace.
McIntosh just schooled Mason in how to play the point. Mason will play overseas after this season.
Mason and Murphy showed really poor leadership tonight. That may be the most dissapointing thing about tonight's loss.

How appropriate. IW clanks a long jumper in Minnesota's last possession to finish 2 of 12.

Nothing worse than seeing a horrible team yuk it up while kicking your a**.

Nate Mason will be easier to replace than I earlier thought this year... thoughts?

Really disappointing to see his lack of leadership, focus and lack of desire to compete. The last minute melt down against IU and tonight's lackluster performance are adding to the long list of disasters this season.

Outside of a 10 minute stretch that was a complete disaster. We will be lucky not to lose by 20 on Saturday.

What's scary is that there really doesn't look like there is much, if any potential in the bench. Not this year...probably not next unless some of these guys really develop and all the freshmen can give minutes.

Way to cap it off, Mason. Tremendous showing of leadership and effort. Wow.

Obviously the coach is creating a great culture of leadership and mental toughness. Who is the real leader of these young men? Effort and mental toughness are instilled in any team by its coach. These players obviously lack discipline and that falls on the coach.

Nate Mason will be easier to replace than I earlier thought this year... thoughts?

I think that’s a ridiculous statement. We will miss him big time. He’s frustrated because his senior season is ruined because of bad injury luck and a ****ty teammate in Lynch.

I think that’s a ridiculous statement. We will miss him big time. He’s frustrated because his senior season is ruined because of bad injury luck and a ****ty teammate in Lynch.

Reason to be frustrated, sure.... But it is time for him to show the leadership and poise of a senior captain.

Losing the game was what I expected. The poor shooting and awful games by Murphy and Mason was not expected.

Mason and Murphy need a talk to.

We will miss him next season, but he needs to toughen up and recall that in 15-16, he was the one who let the team down.

Losing the game was what I expected. The poor shooting and awful games by Murphy and Mason was not expected.

Mason and Murphy need a talk to.

If teams play zone and pack it in, Murphy will have a tough time the rest of the year getting much going on the offensive end. Especially if our outside shooting doesn't change.

Very disappointed in this team, Coach Pitino maybe most so. They were only 3.5 point dogs tonight, and that makes two really, really bad performances in a row from his squad against teams they still had plenty of talent to beat. How are Konate, Diedhiou, and Fitzgerald in their 3rd and 4th years in the program and NONE of them have any idea how to defend a ball screen? That's unacceptable and says even more about the coaching than it does about the players. It says a lot that this was Northwestern's second 20 point first half lead in 7 years of conference play. The effort was terrible in the first half and the late frustration technicals from McBrayer and Mason were something you see from stars in the NBA, not college players. The only reason those bother me is that it points to (doesn't mean it's necessarily true) a lack of control from the coach.

Purdue is the wrong time to do it, but against almost everyone else it needs to be Murphy/Fitzgerald/Hurt as your 3 big rotation and Mason/McBrayer/Washington/Harris rotating through the other 3 spots. Those are your top 7 and Konate plays in emergency situations. Plenty of teams have played small and won. Konate and Diedhiou simply are not talented enough to do anything but hopefully stand in the lane and impede someone like Haas from just dunking every time down the court.

Very disappointed in this team, Coach Pitino maybe most so. They were only 3.5 point dogs tonight, and that makes two really, really bad performances in a row from his squad against teams they still had plenty of talent to beat. How are Konate, Diedhiou, and Fitzgerald in their 3rd and 4th years in the program and NONE of them have any idea how to defend a ball screen? That's unacceptable and says even more about the coaching than it does about the players. It says a lot that this was Northwestern's second 20 point first half lead in 7 years of conference play. The effort was terrible in the first half and the late frustration technicals from McBrayer and Mason were something you see from stars in the NBA, not college players. The only reason those bother me is that it points to (doesn't mean it's necessarily true) a lack of control from the coach.

Purdue is the wrong time to do it, but against almost everyone else it needs to be Murphy/Fitzgerald/Hurt as your 3 big rotation and Mason/McBrayer/Washington/Harris rotating through the other 3 spots. Those are your top 7 and Konate plays in emergency situations. Plenty of teams have played small and won. Konate and Diedhiou simply are not talented enough to do anything but hopefully stand in the lane and impede someone like Haas from just dunking every time down the court.

Remember, under normal circumstances Konate and Diedhiou were not supposed to hit the floor this year. This team is emotionally shocked right now. You lose three players like Curry, Coffey and Lynch, plus have McBrayer hurting and Mason perhaps not at full strength yet and that's going to take a major readjustment mentally. It has obviously hit Mason the hardest. His final run here was going to be a dream and it has turned in to a nightmare. Pitino has seen worse spots in his time here and he will have them playing hard again.

Top Bottom