Defensive Tackle next near

Gopherphile

Reaction score
When looking at our roster, this position gives me pause. I’m wondering what folks think we can expect next year and who our starters will be. Moore, Silver and Smith, the xfer from Bama, give us some bodies but do we have anyone you think will emerge? Will Malcolm Robinson help significantly? Will Teague be in the rotation from the beginning?

I trust Fleck to emphasize the importance of this position but we only have one DT from each of the past two recruiting classes on the roster with Schirk’s xfer and Richter’s greyshirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think starters will be Moore and OJ Smith with Royal Silver and either Robinson, Hickox or Teague backing him up. Umlor could potentially slide inside too I guess.

When looking at our roster, this position gives me pause. I’m wondering what folks think we can expect next year and who our starters will be. Moore, Silver and Smith, the xfer from Bama, give us some bodies but do we have anyone you think will emerge? Will Malcolm Robinson help significantly? Will Teague be in the rotation from the beginning?

I trust Fleck to emphasize the importance of this position but we only have one DT from each of the past two recruiting classes on the roster with Schirk’s xfer and Richter’s greyshirt.

He brought in Silver, Robinson, Schirk, and Hickox last year. I think Hickox was listed as DE, but he has more size than Schirk did. Richter is still on the roster, but I doubt he plays this coming year.

He brought in Silver, Robinson, Schirk, and Hickox last year. I think Hickox was listed as DE, but he has more size than Schirk did. Richter is still on the roster, but I doubt he plays this coming year.

Richter won’t be on the team next fall.

I think OJ Smith emerges. I see him on the sideline each game and he is a big man. Assuming he can move of course but he was a 4 star recruit for Alabama.

Schirk is no longer on the roster.

Schirk is no longer on the roster.

I think he’s saying that Fleck is emphasizing the position. Schirk is gone and I was thinking in terms of freshmen when I made my comment about Robinson being the sole survivor but Hickox is an important piece.

If I was betting right now, Moore and Smith are the opening night starters with a rotation that includes Silver, and whoever emerges between Teague, Hickox and Robinson.

IMO, probably a better chance he doesn't than he does.

Yeah, something just doesn't feel right about that one. I feel like we offered him too early and then pushed him to grayshirt because we found better recruits. Wonder if he'll be nudged to find a different school.

Here is what the 247 Sports Scholarship Grid lists for DTs:

SENIORS
O. Smith 6-2 / 305
G. Moore 6-4 / 300
R. Silver 6-4 / 290

SOPHOMORES
M. Robinson 6-3 / 280
N. Hickcox 6-3.5 / 279

FRESHMAN
E. Teague 6-2 / 289
L. Richter 6-4 / 291

There are no Junior standing DTs.

SENIORS
O. Smith 6-2 / 305
G. Moore 6-4 / 300
R. Silver 6-4 / 290

SOPHOMORES
M. Robinson 6-3 / 280
N. Hickcox 6-3.5 / 279

FRESHMAN
E. Teague 6-2 / 289
L. Richter 6-4 / 291

And the Juco transfer, dickson.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SENIORS
O. Smith 6-2 / 305
G. Moore 6-4 / 300
R. Silver 6-4 / 290

SOPHOMORES
M. Robinson 6-3 / 280
N. Hickcox 6-3.5 / 279

FRESHMAN
E. Teague 6-2 / 289
L. Richter 6-4 / 291

Silver redshirted last season, so he still has two years of eligibility.

SENIORS
O. Smith 6-2 / 305
G. Moore 6-4 / 300
R. Silver 6-4 / 290

SOPHOMORES
M. Robinson 6-3 / 280
N. Hickcox 6-3.5 / 279

FRESHMAN
E. Teague 6-2 / 289
L. Richter 6-4 / 291

Malcolm Robinson redshirted last year, so he will be a redshirt freshmen for 2018

SENIORS
O. Smith 6-2 / 305
G. Moore 6-4 / 300
R. Silver 6-4 / 290

SOPHOMORES
M. Robinson 6-3 / 280
N. Hickcox 6-3.5 / 279

FRESHMAN
E. Teague 6-2 / 289
L. Richter 6-4 / 291

I think that Hickcox can be a great college DT. He just needs to stay healthy and focused on football.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Silver redshirted last season, so he still has two years of eligibility.

Exactly. It was the plan from day 1 and in listening to PJ at the signing social the fact that he was a 3 to play 2 guy was a major reason they took him.

SENIORS
O. Smith 6-2 / 305
G. Moore 6-4 / 300
R. Silver 6-4 / 290

SOPHOMORES
M. Robinson 6-3 / 280
N. Hickcox 6-3.5 / 279

FRESHMAN
E. Teague 6-2 / 289
L. Richter 6-4 / 291

Smith only gets to play 1 year here?

I think that Hickcox can be a great college DT. He just needs to stay healthy and focused on football.

What does this even mean?

It reads as if you are insinuating he has injury and dedication issues.

Exactly. It was the plan from day 1 and in listening to PJ at the signing social the fact that he was a 3 to play 2 guy was a major reason they took him.

Can’t let it go...lol

What does this even mean?

It reads as if you are insinuating he has injury and dedication issues.
You are the one reading it and infering that.

I have no crystal ball and certain men's athletic programs *cough* basketball *cough* *cough* football *cough* *cough* seem to be targeted for misbehavior issues, I wish him the best of luck in staying out of those traps (health and disciplinary issues).

Since, you seem to be seeing something in my statement that I don't see, I should ask you the question. Do you have any knowledge that he may have injury and dedication issues? Remember, you brought it up.

The Gophers have an offer out to Colton Beebe's brother DT 6' 3" 318-lb Cooper.

https://twitter.com/cjbeebe56

I usually don't get too excited about highlight videos, but on his 24/7 page he has a highlight video where he runs the ball for a 30 yard touchdown. He is a much larger man than anyone on the defense yet fast enough that no one could run him down. Very impressive!

You are the one reading it and infering that.

I have no crystal ball and certain men's athletic programs *cough* basketball *cough* *cough* football *cough* *cough* seem to be targeted for misbehavior issues, I wish him the best of luck in staying out of those traps (health and disciplinary issues).

Since, you seem to be seeing something in my statement that I don't see, I should ask you the question. Do you have any knowledge that he may have injury and dedication issues? Remember, you brought it up.

This is a stretch at best. Somewhere around 1% of the student athletes at the U have been actually involved in these incidents but you feel it necessary to bring it up for Hickcox like its a prevailing trend for the majority of the athletes at the U? Come on man.

On another note, "targeted for misbehavior"? Is this serious too? There actually was misbehavior in the football incident. They weren't targeted, they were guilty. If not for the misbehavior of a few, none of the players get their name in the report.

It's still too early to say in the Lynch incident.

Hickcox could very well be a good player for the U but the issues mentioned here won't play a role in his future.

This is a stretch at best. Somewhere around 1% of the student athletes at the U have been actually involved in these incidents but you feel it necessary to bring it up for Hickcox like its a prevailing trend for the majority of the athletes at the U? Come on man.

On another note, "targeted for misbehavior"? Is this serious too? There actually was misbehavior in the football incident. They weren't targeted, they were guilty. If not for the misbehavior of a few, none of the players get their name in the report.

It's still too early to say in the Lynch incident.

Hickcox could very well be a good player for the U but the issues mentioned here won't play a role in his future.

What misbehavior exactly were the football players guilty of? Group sex?

Top Bottom