Gophers star Reggie Lynch recommended for expulsion in third sexual assault allegatio

I don't think Coyle should be fired either.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Yet, you assign more fault to him, even though he was not here when these incidents happened. Backpedal some more please.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don’t understand how someone can get kicked out of a public school for a non-criminal sexual act?

I don’t understand how a public school can have a policy regulating non-criminal sexual behavior.

All that being said, he probably shouldn’t have been a member of the basketball team after the second allegation against him.

You are asking the right questions.

Let the process play out. Angry mob should relax.

The U set up a process for assessing harassment complaints. It is not over yet. Reggie is appealing. Reggie is defending himself. Nobody knows the facts or outcome of the harassment allegations. If Reggie spoke with the AD and coach, he must have a colorable defense for them to keep him on the team for the time being.

He may end up being kicked off and good riddance if the process adequately suggests culpability. Yet the U set this process up so it should let it play out absent some sort of damning evidence at play that the AD/Coaches think is just too much to stomach or defend.

Yet, you assign more fault to him, even though he was not here when these incidents happened. Backpedal some more please.

I don't blame Pitino for Lynch's actions. I don't blame Coyle for Lynch's actions. Pitino deferred to Coyle for guidance on the punishment. Coyle made the decisions on how to handle the punishment. People are upset with how it has been handled. Therefore, if you have a gripe with how it has been handled, you should be upset with Coyle.

I'm not backpedaling, you're making assumptions. If you want to look at my post history, you'll find that: I dislike Lynch, I think Lynch needs help, we ought to follow established processes, and we should take sexual assault seriously. I'm sure I'm missing a take or two, but at no point have I said anyone should be fired.

I don't see what Pitino or Coyle have done wrong here.

Allegations that Lynch has sexually assaulted someone (or two) had came out, Pitino and Coyle waited for the EOAA to complete their investigation and once they had completed their investigation and determined Lynch was guilty, they suspended him. Don't have any problem with that.

With 3 complaints, it’s overwhelmingly likely Reggie did something very wrong. These cases are so hard to prosecute because there’s often no proof because it’s usually he said/she said.

Will we ever know with 100% certainty either way? No. But if there’s an extremely high probability he committed a horrible act, he should be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the first EOAA finding was leaked early and even though Coyle, Pitino, and others inside knew about this second one earlier they couldn’t speak to it until the findings were released. Is that possible? It looks worse for them and the school to have them released 5 days apart.

I don't blame Pitino for Lynch's actions. I don't blame Coyle for Lynch's actions. Pitino deferred to Coyle for guidance on the punishment. Coyle made the decisions on how to handle the punishment. People are upset with how it has been handled. Therefore, if you have a gripe with how it has been handled, you should be upset with Coyle.

I'm not backpedaling, you're making assumptions. If you want to look at my post history, you'll find that: I dislike Lynch, I think Lynch needs help, we ought to follow established processes, and we should take sexual assault seriously. I'm sure I'm missing a take or two, but at no point have I said anyone should be fired.

One thing we agree on is that Lynch is not an exemplary person off the court. However, the decision to bring him here rests with Pitino. Pitino backed himself into a corner with the big men he brought to this team. He saw Lynch as his redemption for recruiting big men.

Pitino's Pontius Pilate play does not recuse him from fault in this matter. He has been here five(?) years and has underperformed in most areas of leading a college basketball program.

Pitino was coach when these events occurred, Coyle was not athletic director. (Beth Goetz was interim AD at the time). If Pitino did his job of supervising his players, this could have been resolved much sooner.

This ultimately falls at the feet of Richard Pitino and his inability to lead the Men's Basketball program without training wheels.

My recommendation is that saltpeter be put in all food served at the Athletes Village.

The fact he hasn't been since the moment he was found responsible is troubling.

One thing we agree on is that Lynch is not an exemplary person off the court. However, the decision to bring him here rests with Pitino. Pitino backed himself into a corner with the big men he brought to this team. He saw Lynch as his redemption for recruiting big men.

Pitino's Pontius Pilate play does not recuse him from fault in this matter. He has been here five(?) years and has underperformed in most areas of leading a college basketball program.

Pitino was coach when these events occurred, Coyle was not athletic director. (Beth Goetz was interim AD at the time). If Pitino did his job of supervising his players, this could have been resolved much sooner.

This ultimately falls at the feet of Richard Pitino and his inability to lead the Men's Basketball program without training wheels.

I see where you're coming from - one of my early reactions was to be mad at Pitino for not vetting his recruits thoroughly enough. Other people pointed out how difficult it could be to uncover the red flags. Who would know? Likely not coaches or administration at the school - it'd more likely be students who witnessed or heard about the troubling behavior. Who would volunteer the potential red flags? What questions would you ask to illicit that response? While I would like to think it is find these red flags, it might not be. I do think a coach is somewhat responsible for the character of the players he recruits, I don't see enough of a pattern with McNeil and Lynch to give Pitino the boot. I think it's a pause for concern, I think Pitino needs to be cognizant and make character a higher priority in his recruiting, because while I won't call it a trend, my eyebrow is raised. And you can certainly make an argument that it is a trend, so I get your point.

There is more and more smoke surrounding this. I live in SW MN. I was talking to a guy I know - assistant coach on the local Girls BB team. He told me that he knows a kid who goes to the U, and this kid told him that it's common knowledge on campus that Lynch is a bad guy - or a least a guy who hits the party scene looking to pick up drunk chicks.

If so many people know this, and Pitino says he didn't know anything, then Pitino looks bad. worse - he looks like his Dad with the hookers. ("I didn't know what was going on.....")

And, one could argue that the U has set a precedent by firing a FB coach after his players were involved in off-field incidents. If Claeys was responsible for his players, then Pitino has to be responsible for his players. Given the current national debate, and the focus on sexual misconduct, I could see Pitino taking the fall for this (as Kaler and Coyle look to cover their butts).

With 3 complaints, it’s overwhelmingly likely Reggie did something very wrong. These cases are so hard to prosecute because there’s often no proof because it’s usually he said/she said.

Will we ever know with 100% certainty either way? No. But if there’s an extremely high probability he committed a horrible act, he should be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will never know what happened in these (and more?) instances but it seems his priorities are screwed up to say the least. Since there is almost zero chance he will suit up again I think its best to cut ties and get him out of the basketball building while he appeals.

There is more and more smoke surrounding this. I live in SW MN. I was talking to a guy I know - assistant coach on the local Girls BB team. He told me that he knows a kid who goes to the U, and this kid told him that it's common knowledge on campus that Lynch is a bad guy - or a least a guy who hits the party scene looking to pick up drunk chicks.

If so many people know this, and Pitino says he didn't know anything, then Pitino looks bad. worse - he looks like his Dad with the hookers. ("I didn't know what was going on.....")

And, one could argue that the U has set a precedent by firing a FB coach after his players were involved in off-field incidents. If Claeys was responsible for his players, then Pitino has to be responsible for his players. Given the current national debate, and the focus on sexual misconduct, I could see Pitino taking the fall for this (as Kaler and Coyle look to cover their butts).

IMO, Coyle wanted his own guy as the football coach, and had the perfect excuse to pull the trigger. I don't think Coyle or Pitino should take the fall for this, but as you mentioned, the precedent is problematic. Coyle ought to have been honest in his rationale. Pitino needs to recruit and/or instill better character in his players. Both Coyle and Pitino need to learn from how they've handled situations in the past. However, I don't think either should be fired.

How can you equate this situation with what happened at Louisville? I do not see any congruity whatsoever.

Football situation also vastly different not the least of which because Claeys was fired primarily because he was not an appropriate face of the football program. The football team mutiny just made it a no-brainer.

Firing Pitino would be a disaster but anything possible with this program.

I think the first EOAA finding was leaked early and even though Coyle, Pitino, and others inside knew about this second one earlier they couldn’t speak to it until the findings were released. Is that possible? It looks worse for them and the school to have them released 5 days apart.

Assuming it is true that they were completed the same day, is it a concurrent timing issue? I.E. often in codes of conduct a repeated violation of the same thing will be an automatic punishment aggravating factor. However, If they are released the same day it cannot considered as an aggravating factor as they're taken as concurrent.

So, I'd be speculating that neither event was bad enough to get him expelled (even together), but because of the manner the code was written, if it goes "event -then suspension - then event," he then can be expelled due to terms of the suspension.

I don't see what Pitino or Coyle have done wrong here.

Allegations that Lynch has sexually assaulted someone (or two) had came out, Pitino and Coyle waited for the EOAA to complete their investigation and once they had completed their investigation and determined Lynch was guilty, they suspended him. Don't have any problem with that.

I agree with this.
At the point Pitino says or does something really dumb publicly in support of Lynch, that's when you fire him.
People just want to see Coyle fired, so they are posting in this thread as such with no basis yet for why he should be.

At the point that the basketball team threatens to boycott games, and Pitino posts his support for those actions, then Pitino will be in danger of losing his job.

So far it appears he's following protocol and he's managed the rest of the team to not throw their support publicly in favor of a person accused of sexual harassment.

One investigation should get you suspended till cleared. THREE should certainly get you suspended, barred from team activities and denied scholarship benefits where you want to stay in school - you pay your way.

I don't care if he was DPOY. Having him on the team is embarrassing.

At the point that the basketball team threatens to boycott games, and Pitino posts his support for those actions, then Pitino will be in danger of losing his job.

So far it appears he's following protocol and he's managed the rest of the team to not throw their support publicly in favor of a person accused of sexual harassment.

^^^^^ 100% right.

Pitino's control of his team on the sideline in the Alabama game and his management of this situation have been exemplary in my opinion.

One investigation should get you suspended till cleared. THREE should certainly get you suspended, barred from team activities and denied scholarship benefits where you want to stay in school - you pay your way.

I don't care if he was DPOY. Having him on the team is embarrassing.

THAT LAST LINE!!!! Damn skippy it is.

How can you equate this situation with what happened at Louisville? I do not see any congruity whatsoever.

They aren't even close to the same except they both involved coaches name Pitino. Richard isn't his dad and doesn't coach at Louisville, comparing the two is ridiculous. But social media is full of people saying Richard is just like his dad.

I see where you're coming from - one of my early reactions was to be mad at Pitino for not vetting his recruits thoroughly enough. Other people pointed out how difficult it could be to uncover the red flags. Who would know? Likely not coaches or administration at the school - it'd more likely be students who witnessed or heard about the troubling behavior. Who would volunteer the potential red flags? What questions would you ask to illicit that response? While I would like to think it is find these red flags, it might not be. I do think a coach is somewhat responsible for the character of the players he recruits, I don't see enough of a pattern with McNeil and Lynch to give Pitino the boot. I think it's a pause for concern, I think Pitino needs to be cognizant and make character a higher priority in his recruiting, because while I won't call it a trend, my eyebrow is raised. And you can certainly make an argument that it is a trend, so I get your point.

One comment I saw on twitter from someone who knows Lynch said he's a super nice guy 95% of the time but when he drinks and is around girls, he's different.

With the third allegation, I am amazed this has not become bigger nationally. Hopefully there will be no further allegations.

I actually think this issue has the legs to bring down both Pitino and Coyle. Sooner or later, they will have to answer what they knew about Lynch. The only good answer is nothing but then why did they have Reggie on curfew? If there is one shred of evidence that they tried to 'manage" a sexual predator to keep him basketball eligible, they are both out the door, especially in the current climate of #metoo.

A "good" national writer might come in and blow this wide open.

Firing Coyle or Pitino would be a huge FAIL on the U's part.

this is on Reggie's shoulders and for the U to take care(hopefully sooner than later)

My disappointment in him(Reggie) is immense. I feel so bad for his team mates.

With the third allegation, I am amazed this has not become bigger nationally. Hopefully there will be no further allegations.

I actually think this issue has the legs to bring down both Pitino and Coyle. Sooner or later, they will have to answer what they knew about Lynch. The only good answer is nothing but then why did they have Reggie on curfew? If there is one shred of evidence that they tried to 'manage" a sexual predator to keep him basketball eligible, they are both out the door, especially in the current climate of #metoo.

A "good" national writer might come in and blow this wide open.

I'm curious about the curfew thing too (if it's even true). Maybe they heard some rumors of him hitting on drunk girls too much, but didn't know if he actually crossed the line from creepy to predator? In that case maybe it would make sense for them to talk to him and give him a curfew to prevent him from crossing the line?

One comment I saw on twitter from someone who knows Lynch said he's a super nice guy 95% of the time but when he drinks and is around girls, he's different.
Assuming that is the case, at least there is a quick fix for Lynch. It also would make it harder to vet from the coach's perspective. High school kids won't be clamoring to share their underage drinking stories with authority figures.

At the end of the day, I hope Reggie gets the help he needs. Maybe it's laying off the booze.

I'm curious about the curfew thing too (if it's even true). Maybe they heard some rumors of him hitting on drunk girls too much, but didn't know if he actually crossed the line from creepy to predator? In that case maybe it would make sense for them to talk to him and give him a curfew to prevent him from crossing the line?

I agree and I agree that Pitino/ Coyle's actions, if any, were likely trying to be constructive and proactive but we now live in a vindictive society that demands punishment. Universities are even worse for this than general society and the U of M seems to be on the extreme for universities.

Top Bottom