Lynch has appealed suspension, but potentially long process may end his Gopher career

Very interesting article on the Aziz Ansari situation and the differences in the way men and women look at an encounter. I think it's fair to say there are some sex assault accusations where the guy is simply lying and he did it, there are some (a lot fewer, probably) where the woman is simply lying, and a large number where there's a gray area in which misinterpretation or difference in opinion plays a role.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/opinion/aziz-ansari-babe-sexual-harassment.html

That was an interesting read thanks for sharing, definitely agree with you about how encounters are interpreted.

This is correct. This university does whatever it can to sabotage its sports programs. Always have, always will. This kind of thing happens at every university. Yet, here we punish everyone because our U is so much
more prestigeous than everywhere else.:rolleyes:

Exactly correct.

Too bad more folks on this board wont admit as much.

That was an interesting read thanks for sharing, definitely agree with you about how encounters are interpreted.

It’s nice to see genuine feminists like Atwood and Weiss call out the absurdity of some of this. Judging from the commentary of some here the recent campus-centric movement to redefine consent can very easily lead confused young women and men to cast false allegations.

All of this put me in mind of another piece published this weekend, this one by the novelist and feminist icon Margaret Atwood. “My fundamental position is that women are human beings,” she writes. “Nor do I believe that women are children, incapable of agency or of making moral decisions. If they were, we’re back to the 19th century, and women should not own property, have credit cards, have access to higher education, control their own reproduction or vote. There are powerful groups in North America pushing this agenda, but they are not usually considered feminists.”

Except, increasingly, they are.

Grace’s story was met with so many digital hosannas by young feminists, who insisted that consent is only consent if it is affirmative, active, continuous and — and this is the word most used — enthusiastic. Consent isn’t the only thing they are radically redefining. A recent survey by The Economist/YouGov found that approximately 25 percent of millennial-age American men think asking someone for a drink is harassment. More than a third of millennial men and women say that if a man compliments a woman’s looks it is harassment.

To judge from social media reaction to Grace’s story, they also see a flagrant abuse of power in this sexual encounter. Yes, Mr. Ansari is a wealthy celebrity with a Netflix show. But he had no actual power over Grace — professionally or otherwise. And lumping him in with the same movement that brought down men who ran movie studios and forced themselves on actresses, or the factory floor supervisors who demanded sex from women workers, trivializes what #MeToo first stood for.

Top Bottom