Lynch has appealed suspension, but potentially long process may end his Gopher career

Legal and just are two different things. Slavery was once legal, but it was never just.
You have crucified Lynch as a person who committed 3 sexual assaults despite no physical evidence being produced or a transparent system of ajudication. Nice. Apparently you imagine that is a just system. I disagree.

it is possible to believe two things at the same time.

I, for instance, can believe that Reggie Lynch is not a nice guy and (at the very least) takes liberties with women.

I can also believe that the EOAA system has flaws, and may be weighted in favor of the accuser - especially if the accuser is a woman.

If you're looking for a poster boy to illustrate the unfairness of the EOAA system, I'm not sure Lynch is the best candidate. Just too much smoke there. Too many people saying that he has done stuff like this in the past.

The system may be flawed, but that does not mean Lynch is innocent or is being railroaded.

it is possible to believe two things at the same time.

I, for instance, can believe that Reggie Lynch is not a nice guy and (at the very least) takes liberties with women.

I can also believe that the EOAA system has flaws, and may be weighted in favor of the accuser - especially if the accuser is a woman.

If you're looking for a poster boy to illustrate the unfairness of the EOAA system, I'm not sure Lynch is the best candidate. Just too much smoke there. Too many people saying that he has done stuff like this in the past.

The system may be flawed, but that does not mean Lynch is innocent or is being railroaded.

Belief does not equal justice.
A just system is a transparent system. Whether Lynch is nice or not plays no part in this kangaroo trial. What is important is that there is a just and open means of ajudicating the student code of conduct. We cannot possibly know this under the current structure.

When you say we, you mean you. The Constitution does not protect sexual assaulters. The internal review and discipline process at the U is legal. Stop being confused.

You are the one who is confused. The Constitution protects every United States citizen. What an idiotic thing to think otherwise.

If you weren't simply lying. Second, you wouldn't wait 2 years to tell anyone.
You are making assumptions by using the terms, "likely" and "probably", and then forcing them to be "actually."
The biggest problem is that there is no transparency.

What does the bolded even mean? Did you have a stroke while typing?

How do you know how long a victim would wait to tell someone? How do you know they didn't tell anyone? You don't. You literally have zero knowledge of what you are talking about.

Nice job of not addressing any of my points.

What does the bolded even mean? Did you have a stroke while typing?

How do you know how long a victim would wait to tell someone? How do you know they didn't tell anyone? You don't. You literally have zero knowledge of what you are talking about.

Nice job of not addressing any of my points.
My point is that you are speculating like everyone else. The difference is that I am speculating by attempting to seek justice for all, while your speculation already has judged and executed Reggie Lynch. I find your speculation to be rushed with no transparent investigation involved.
Lynch may or may not be guilty. We currently have a she's said, he said scenario based upon an event that allegedly took place 2 years ago. At this point I cannot believe either party because I don't have any means of knowing who the investigators are and what parties are involved outside of Reggie Lynch. All we know is that 3 women have made accusations based upon something they claim from 2 two years back. That is it. No one can make a just decision with such little actual evidence.

Lynch should not take part in this kangaroo procedure. No legal charges. No evidence. No proof.

He should leave and live his life. He will make considerable money elsewhere.

In the meantime, the University can lose millions of dollars and look like fools. Terrible management for many years. However, remember that football championship in 1967.

Coyle is just extension of 50 years of management at the U. How about the job he did on the football team last year.

My point is that you are speculating like everyone else. The difference is that I am speculating by attempting to seek justice for all, while your speculation already has judged and executed Reggie Lynch. I find your speculation to be rushed with no transparent investigation involved.
Lynch may or may not be guilty. We currently have a she's said, he said scenario based upon an event that allegedly took place 2 years ago. At this point I cannot believe either party because I don't have any means of knowing who the investigators are and what parties are involved outside of Reggie Lynch. All we know is that 3 women have made accusations based upon something they claim from 2 two years back. That is it. No one can make a just decision with such little actual evidence.

Where did I say I already judged and executed him? I used terms like "probably" and "likely" because we don't know. And just offered a counter point to your ridiculous speculation. It seems (yep there is one of those terms again because we don't really know) like this has been a well repeated behavior in his history. I never wrote him off as guilty, but with what we have heard it appears he likely crossed some lines that I personally think shouldn't be crossed. The women in this case want some privacy about the matter, and that is their right. Luckily there are laws and procedures in place to protect them if they want to be protected. You shouldn't get to know every personal detail just because you want to.

Where did I say I already judged and executed him? I used terms like "probably" and "likely" because we don't know. And just offered a counter point to your ridiculous speculation. It seems (yep there is one of those terms again because we don't really know) like this has been a well repeated behavior in his history. I never wrote him off as guilty, but with what we have heard it appears he likely crossed some lines that I personally think shouldn't be crossed. The women in this case want some privacy about the matter, and that is their right. Luckily there are laws and procedures in place to protect them if they want to be protected. You shouldn't get to know every personal detail just because you want to.
Where is the privacy for the alleged?
I understand FERPA laws dictate privacy. However, the players and actors in and around the EOAA should be public knowledge shared by the media. What we have is a shrouded organization.

Where is the privacy for the alleged?
I understand FERPA laws dictate privacy. However, the players and actors in and around the EOAA should be public knowledge shared by the media. What we have is a shrouded organization.

He had privacy while they were investigating. Notice how we were all surprised? That's because for weeks it was kept quiet.

He had privacy while they were investigating. Notice how we were all surprised? That's because for weeks it was kept quiet.
Notice how you are avoiding the problems with the EOAA and its lack of transparency?
Justice will not be served in this process. A kangaroo court is in session and you are complicit with its actions.

The only reasons the EOAA investigation became public information is because the alleged victim went to the news media and the U had to explain why their starting center was not playing. The news media got nothing else from Coyle because of the privacy laws. There is very little transparency in student discipline matters and there never will be.

The only reasons the EOAA investigation became public information is because the alleged victim went to the news media and the U had to explain why their starting center was not playing. The news media got nothing else from Coyle because of the privacy laws. There is very little transparency in student discipline matters and there never will be.

You have overplayed your hand.

I think the point of the discussion has become that people are now aware of inherent flaws in the system. This is healthy discussion and everyone here from fans to citizens of the state have a vested interest in seeing that these things are done properly - after all, we own the state/university not the other way around. The only way that these things can be fixed is for people to become aware of how the current system is people trying to do the right thing but using the wrong methods which result in damaging people and taking away basic human rights. While they can punish people that the police will not prosecute the track record is that they end up damaging people and families who are innocent more often than not along the way. They need to change the system so that it better reflects the values of everyday Minnesotans and protects the rights of all people.

With the way the football deal was handled and now how this was handled it is clear that the EOAA is broken. Now it is time for people to begin the process effect change. Everyone deserves better than the current system.

Notice how you are avoiding the problems with the EOAA and its lack of transparency?
Justice will not be served in this process. A kangaroo court is in session and you are complicit with its actions.

Or maybe, just maybe he did what the women said he did?

I'm not defending the EOAA and the way they are conducting their business. I was very against it during much of the football scandal. This time seems a little different to me, there are multiple reports and what seems like a pretty clear history of problems. It's not just one he said she said as you continue to claim. It's a lot of what she said and only one he said.

Or maybe, just maybe he did what the women said he did?

I'm not defending the EOAA and the way they are conducting their business. I was very against it during much of the football scandal. This time seems a little different to me, there are multiple reports and what seems like a pretty clear history of problems. It's not just one he said she said as you continue to claim. It's a lot of what she said and only one he said.

No one is arguing the possibility in your first sentence. It is possible (maybe) that Lynch crossed a line regarding what these women were wanting in a hook up.
The problem is that we cannot justly know. We have no transparent procedure by which we can know that a student conduct code was broken. All we have is a she said/ he said popularity contest, which Lynch has clearly lost.
Justice? On Martin Luther King Jr Day we can say that justice cannot be happening under the current structure of the EOAA. What we must call for is Justice, even at the cost of an all to real social problem of women being taken advantage. How can we know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that justice is taking place via the EOAA ruling? Answer: We can't.

No one is arguing the possibility in your first sentence. It is possible (maybe) that Lynch crossed a line regarding what these women were wanting in a hook up.
The problem is that we cannot justly know. We have no transparent procedure by which we can know that a student conduct code was broken. All we have is a she said/ he said popularity contest, which Lynch has clearly lost.
Justice? On Martin Luther King Jr Day we can say that justice cannot be happening under the current structure of the EOAA. What we must call for is Justice, even at the cost of an all to real social problem of women being taken advantage. How can we know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that justice is taking place via the EOAA ruling? Answer: We can't.

You have zero right to know. It is really none of your business. Just because he's a basketball player on your favorite team doesn't mean you get to violate people's privacy.

He is appealing the ruling, if he was wrongly accused he will be cleared like the football players.

Lynch should not take part in this kangaroo procedure. No legal charges. No evidence. No proof.

He should leave and live his life. He will make considerable money elsewhere.

In the meantime, the University can lose millions of dollars and look like fools. Terrible management for many years. However, remember that football championship in 1967.

Coyle is just extension of 50 years of management at the U. How about the job he did on the football team last year.

This is correct. This university does whatever it can to sabotage its sports programs. Always have, always will. This kind of thing happens at every university. Yet, here we punish everyone because our U is so much
more prestigeous than everywhere else.:rolleyes:

This is correct. This university does whatever it can to sabotage its sports programs. Always have, always will. This kind of thing happens at every university. Yet, here we punish everyone because our U is so much more prestigeous than everywhere else.:rolleyes:

Highlighting and correcting ignorance and bias in GopherHole is a never ending responsibility. Posters old and new show up every day to display how little they know about almost everything. Everyone should take note of the fact Stanford has been sued in federal court for their handling of at least one Title IX sexual assault case. To date the U has NEVER been sued in federal court for ANY Title IX case and it isn't because Minnesota doesn't have any lawyers willing to sue anyone for just about anything. The U hasn't been sued because Minnesota lawyers don't want to get their asses handed to them by a federal judge because they weren't able to make a case the U violated the due process rights of students involved in Title IX sexual assault cases.

Stanford Has Most Sexual Violence Cases Under Review, U.S. Agency Says

When the U.S. government released its tally of sexual violence cases on college campuses under review in 2014, Stanford wasn't on the list. But in the new list that's out this month, Stanford has the most cases, with five.

The notorious assault that's been making headlines is not among the cases under federal review.

That crime, committed by former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner, generated outrage when a judge sentenced Turner to six months in the county jail after he was convicted of three felony counts related to his sexual assault of an unconscious woman on campus in January 2015.

Turner's sentence has sparked a renewed debate over the role of race and privilege in sentencing; it has also led some to urge a recall of Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky, whose explanation for the decision to spare Turner from a potential three to 14 years in prison included concern that prison might "have a severe impact on him."

The Turner case was handled by the criminal justice system, not by Stanford. But the number of complaints to the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights, which enforces the Title IX gender equity law, shows that the prestigious university is facing criticism about how it handles such cases — criticism that has included both a protest and a federal lawsuit.

Here's the list of investigations into incidents at Stanford, from the Office of Civil Rights. We'll note that the dates refer to the timing of an OCR complaint, not to the initial allegations of an attack:

Case 1: 2/26/2015
Case 2: 5/28/2015
Case 3: 7/23/2015
Case 4: 7/23/2015
Case 5: 4/18/2016

To put the number of cases in context: The federal list includes 243 sexual violence cases at 192 post-secondary institutions, as of June 1. Apart from Stanford, two other schools had four cases: Kansas State University and Saint Mary's College of Maryland. Six other schools had three cases.

Here's the full list: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-s-list-with-5-sexual-violence-investigations

You have zero right to know. It is really none of your business. Just because he's a basketball player on your favorite team doesn't mean you get to violate people's privacy.

He is appealing the ruling, if he was wrongly accused he will be cleared like the football players.

As a citizen who pays the bills for a public institution I absolutely have the right to know exactly what the EOAA is doing and who the players are within and surrounding this taxpayer supported department.
No one is asking to violate FERPA rules. I am asking for transparency in the EOAA. I have every right to ask and to expect the EOAA to be transparent.
Because there is no transparency we will have no ability to determine if he will be justly cleared or not. You are making blind assumptions and that is my point. Darkness shrouds the EOAA.

This kind of thing happens at every university.
No it doesn't. Not at every university. But, since you made the claim, prove your claim to us and you will be shown to be correct.

No it doesn't. Not at every university. But, since you made the claim, prove your claim to us and you will be shown to be correct.

The federal list includes 243 sexual violence cases at 192 post-secondary institutions, as of June 1. Apart from Stanford, two other schools had four cases: Kansas State University and Saint Mary's College of Maryland. Six other schools had three cases.

Here's the full list: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-s-list-with-5-sexual-violence-investigations

The federal list includes 243 sexual violence cases at 192 post-secondary institutions, as of June 1. Apart from Stanford, two other schools had four cases: Kansas State University and Saint Mary's College of Maryland. Six other schools had three cases.

So not all universities? Am I correct?
The only two Minnesota schools on your list were St Cloud St and St Olaf. How many universities are in Minnesota?

So not all universities? Am I correct?
The only two Minnesota schools on your list were St Cloud St and St Olaf. How many universities are in Minnesota?

LOL, yeah not EVERY university. Not EVERY university has D1 football and basketball. Get a grip Sota, he more than proved his point and that you were wrong.

As a citizen who pays the bills for a public institution I absolutely have the right to know exactly what the EOAA is doing and who the players are within and surrounding this taxpayer supported department.
No one is asking to violate FERPA rules. I am asking for transparency in the EOAA. I have every right to ask and to expect the EOAA to be transparent.
Because there is no transparency we will have no ability to determine if he will be justly cleared or not. You are making blind assumptions and that is my point. Darkness shrouds the EOAA.

No you don't. I get you are angry, I am too as our season is over now. But you have zero right to know anything about this case other than what the accused and accuser want to say publicly. The EOAA rules and procedures were spelled out in the football case, you can probably go back to that thread and read everything you want. Again I'm not making blind assumptions. If anything you are.

LOL, yeah not EVERY university. Not EVERY university has D1 football and basketball. Get a grip Sota, he more than proved his point and that you were wrong.
You are now trying to change the parameters. What was the original statement? "every university" just in case you forgot. We need dpodoll to crush you with literalism right now. [emoji41]

You are now trying to change the parameters. What was the original statement? "every university" just in case you forgot. We need dpodoll to crush you with literalism right now. [emoji41]

It's not changing the parameters, it's called not being a d!ck and admitting he got you rather than digging in on a stupid technicality. He got you good.

It's not changing the parameters, it's called not being a d!ck and admitting he got you rather than digging in on a stupid technicality. He got you good.
LOL, enjoy your fantasy. I have made my point and proved I am right. Move along with your pipe dream.

Very interesting article on the Aziz Ansari situation and the differences in the way men and women look at an encounter. I think it's fair to say there are some sex assault accusations where the guy is simply lying and he did it, there are some (a lot fewer, probably) where the woman is simply lying, and a large number where there's a gray area in which misinterpretation or difference in opinion plays a role.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/opinion/aziz-ansari-babe-sexual-harassment.html

LOL, enjoy your fantasy. I have made my point and proved I am right. Move along with your pipe dream.

You are so cool! You are defending yourself on the slightest of stupid technicalities. Congrats.

If he had said this was very common and happening at an extremely large number of universities would you feel better? It doesn't change the fact that he was still right.

You are so cool! You are defending yourself on the slightest of stupid technicalities. Congrats.

If he had said this was very common and happening at an extremely large number of universities would you feel better? It doesn't change the fact that he was still right.
It doesn't even happen at an extremely large number of Universities. Look at his documentation. At the time of publication only St Cloud St and St Olaf had any inquiries. Now compare that to the number of universities in Minnesota and you can see that it's really quite a small grouping. It was pure hyperbole to say "every university" because it's factually not true. Not even close.
Tuck your tail between your legs and run along.

Top Bottom