Lynch has appealed suspension, but potentially long process may end his Gopher career

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shipley:

Gophers basketball player Reggie Lynch has appealed a long suspension handed down Thursday by a university panel but faces a potentially long process that could mean he has played his last game for the University of Minnesota.

Found responsible for violating the U’s rules on sexual misconduct, Lynch, 23, is suspended from athletic competition but still a part of the basketball program and practicing with the team, athletics director Mark Coyle said Friday.

He missed Saturday’s 75-71 loss to Indiana at Williams Arena.

There is no official timeline for an appeals hearing, which could be scheduled for as early as this month, but it took about four months for five Gophers football players suspended in the wake of an alleged sexual assault on Sept. 2, 2016. Their cases were settled on March 20, 2017, about four months after the conclusion of an investigation by the schools Office for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.

According to the Student Conduct Code, Lynch has several grounds on which to fight the EOAA’s suspension: significant procedural error; misapplication or misinterpretation of the rules he was found to have broken; the appearance of new evidence that might change the findings; and that the sanction was “grossly disproportionate” to the offense.

The appeals process includes a hearing in front of a disciplinary panel, in this case likely a three-member panel of the Student Sexual Misconduct Subcommittee composed of faculty, students and local professionals. Each party can be represented by counsel, and a member of the university’s General Counsel’s Office will defend the decision the EOAA already has made.

Within five days of the hearing, the panel will forward its findings to the school provost for a final ruling, senior vice president for academic affairs Karen Hanson.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/...ally-long-process-may-end-his-gophers-career/

Go Gophers!!

Lynch has not appealed anything. The EOAA completed an investigation and made a recommendation to the administration. Kaler and Coyle then made the decision to suspend Lynch until the completion of a student code of conduct hearing and any appeals. Along with Lynch the alleged victim will have the right to appeal any decision made during the hearing.

per Chad:

While Reggie Lynch appeals a two-year suspension in the wake of a school sexual misconduct investigation, the senior basketball player is practicing with teammates.

Athletics director Mark Coyle last Friday said that Lynch is “still a part” of the team adding that the school would only suspend him from competition during the process, leaving Lynch eligible to go to his classes, practice with teammates and receive all other perks afforded to student-athletes.

Lynch sat out a practice in the aftermath of Friday’s announcement of his suspension, he was on the court with teammates Monday and Tuesday as they prepped for their next game, Wednesday night at Northwestern.

“He didn’t do much, just because we’re focused on the guys that are playing more than anything,” men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino said. “He was there. But it was a short (practice) because we’re so banged up right now. But he is there if need be with certain things.”

According findings of an investigation by the U’s Office for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action obtained by the Pioneer Press, Lynch has been found responsible for violating the school’s Code of Student Conduct related to sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence.

Pitino said Lynch will continue to practice with the Gophers for the foreseeable future.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/09/gophers-basketball-suspended-reggie-lynch-back-at-practice/

Go Gophers!!

It's idiotic that Lynch is still practicing with the team. I don't care if he did or didn't do it, or if he's appealing or not. Letting him practice makes the University of Minnesota look like a bunch of rape apologists. Keep him "on the team" for legal reasons but don't let him practice. Is there some donor out there who is threatening to pull funding? I don't understand why the U is taking this PR hit.

It's idiotic that Lynch is still practicing with the team. I don't care if he did or didn't do it, or if he's appealing or not. Letting him practice makes the University of Minnesota look like a bunch of rape apologists. Keep him "on the team" for legal reasons but don't let him practice. Is there some donor out there who is threatening to pull funding? I don't understand why the U is taking this PR hit.

I don't think it's much of PR hit. 90% of the public doesn't know or care if he's practicing. As long as he's not sitting on the bench he's out of sight out of mind. We'll still have to hear about it every game, but not to the extent as Saturday's love-fest between Dakitch and Myron P. Metcalf.

I don't think it's much of PR hit. 90% of the public doesn't know or care if he's practicing. As long as he's not sitting on the bench he's out of sight out of mind. We'll still have to hear about it every game, but not to the extent as Saturday's love-fest between Dakitch and Myron P. Metcalf.

I'd rather have the U take as hard of a stance on sexual assault as they legally can, maybe do something positive to support victims or something.

I don't care if he did or didn't do it, or if he's appealing or not. Letting him practice makes the University of Minnesota look like a bunch of rape apologists.

You don't care if he didn't do it? Rape apologist?

Great logic.

You don't care if he didn't do it? Rape apologist? Great logic.

If everybody thinks you're a rapist and your school thinks you're a rapist and this isn't the first time you've been accused and you're still practicing, it's a bad look, plain and simple.

I guess there is a chance Pitino (and the school) think Reggie might have this suspension overturned and they don't need to kick people off the team until they know for sure. There is no harm in Reggie practicing. 2% of people know/care.

If everybody thinks you're a rapist and your school thinks you're a rapist and this isn't the first time you've been accused and you're still practicing, it's a bad look, plain and simple.

Stop worrying about what things "look like" and seek the truth. This is a big problem with this PC generation. You are happy to ruin somebody if it makes you feel good or look good. It's a big deal if he is not guilty and what a shame that you don't care. I hope you are never falsely accused in a ruinous way.

One clue that you can get from the fact that he is still practicing- the evidence is either very thin or there isn't much of an offense here. If this was cut and dried he'd be gone.

Stop worrying about what things "look like" and seek the truth. This is a big problem with this PC generation. You are happy to ruin somebody if it makes you feel good or look good. It's a big deal if he is not guilty and what a shame that you don't care. I hope you are never falsely accused in a ruinous way.

One clue that you can get from the fact that he is still practicing- the evidence is either very thin or there isn't much of an offense here. If this was cut and dried he'd be gone.

So, I guess you know the facts of the case since you're willing to make statements like that

I guess there is a chance Pitino (and the school) think Reggie might have this suspension overturned and they don't need to kick people off the team until they know for sure. There is no harm in Reggie practicing. 2% of people know/care.

Good point, didn't think about it like that.

I am concerned Reggie has serious issues but he deserves due process and I have no issues with him practicing since there is a small (vanishingly) chance he will be reinstated. Agreed about the PC epidemic and the rush to judge and condemn.

Apologies if I missed it, but was Reggie accused of rape? I think all I've seen is "sexual assault" or "sexual misconduct", which is pretty vague. Obviously no form of sexual assault should be tolerated. I'm just wondering what exactly he was accused of.

Apologies if I missed it, but was Reggie accused of rape? I think all I've seen is "sexual assault" or "sexual misconduct", which is pretty vague. Obviously no form of sexual assault should be tolerated. I'm just wondering what exactly he was accused of.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, is Minnesota the only school where the EOAA is so active? I couldn't find mention of such a committee at either Iowa or Becky listed under student organizations. Just curious if Minn. is more active than the other Big Ten universities.

So, I guess you know the facts of the case since you're willing to make statements like that

Precisely the opposite. I don't know the facts and it's likely you don't either. My statement is that a person should seek the truth- not what feels good. If you took the time to look at what I responded to, the poster had said he/she didn't care if Lynch was guilty or not- just punish him for appearance sake.

As to my comment on him practicing, if he was accused of something really serious, or if the case is open and shut- he wouldn't be practicing. The facts are going to come out at some point.

So tell me again, what is wrong about my statement?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, is Minnesota the only school where the EOAA is so active? I couldn't find mention of such a committee at either Iowa or Becky listed under student organizations. Just curious if Minn. is more active than the other Big Ten universities.

Did you mean to quote my post?

Hmmm...it seems you support the concept of guilty until proven innocent.
Why would anyone celebrate an agenda above the concept of justice for all? I don't know, but clearly you are promoting an agenda above justice.
I happen to disagree with your agenda while agreeing that all persons deserve justice to be served.
In your world would you be happy if a woman accused you of a crime that the police chose not to charge, but your company lays you off, without pay, until the companies council tries your case in the company's kangaroo court?

I guess 3 allegations is fine too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 allegations. Get this dude off the team. Stop protecting him.

3 allegations. Get this dude off the team. Stop protecting him.

I see nobody on this board "protecting" him...rather suggesting we let the process that is in place to run its course. If he appeals and the ruling is not overturned, nobody will be feeling bad for him. But if you need a reminder on why the appeal process is in place, look at the football team last year and how multiple players had their names cleared after it was determined that EOAA was incorrect on a couple of things.

The board got over half of its charges wrong with the football players. I would say suspend him from the team, all aspects, pending the outcome of his appeals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hmmm...it seems you support the concept of guilty until proven innocent.
Why would anyone celebrate an agenda above the concept of justice for all? I don't know, but clearly you are promoting an agenda above justice.
I happen to disagree with your agenda while agreeing that all persons deserve justice to be served.
In your world would you be happy if a woman accused you of a crime that the police chose not to charge, but your company lays you off, without pay, until the companies council tries your case in the company's kangaroo court?

Some consider participation in college athletics a privilege not a right. This is not currently a criminal case, with standards of innocent until proven guilty. Players can be dismissed for violation of team rules or academic violations. I would say the accusation of sexual assault or impropriety, not to mention three instances, rises to that standard, far below criminal charges or indictment.

Some consider participation in college athletics a privilege not a right. This is not currently a criminal case, with standards of innocent until proven guilty. Players can be dismissed for violation of team rules or academic violations. I would say the accusation of sexual assault or impropriety, not to mention three instances, rises to that standard, far below criminal charges or indictment.
Do you consider working a privilege and not a right? Would you be upset if your company laid you off without pay while they tried you in a kangaroo court?

It is not any kind of court. They believe he is in violation of the code of conduct. He has a lawyer. Now everyone on the payroll will be looked at closely.

Reggie is making the University of Minnesota look like absolute dog****. There’s no reason he should be on the basketball team. He has legal rights, but he has no right to be practicing or on the team.

Reggie is making the University of Minnesota look like absolute dog****. There’s no reason he should be on the basketball team. He has legal rights, but he has no right to be practicing or on the team.

While I'm confident his appeal will not change the outcome, I still think the U has to follow the process they have in place. Maybe they can reevaluate the process after the fact, but due process is a must. I would rather him not practice with the team, but that matters less to me.

Like I said, I think this won't end well for Reggie, there's too much smoke. I'm already saying good riddance to him, and more or less the U has too. Let the technicalities play out.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Do you consider working a privilege and not a right? Would you be upset if your company laid you off without pay while they tried you in a kangaroo court?

You might want to think what you want to say before posting in your campaign for truth, justice, and the American way. Don't think Reggie is off scholarship yet, so he is getting "paid." Just because you think the process is a kangaroo court, doesn't mean it is. You keep trying to make something this isn't--first, a conspiracy against athletes; then an attack on black athletes; now we're subjected to the innocent until guilty argument. Yes, playing athletics is a privilege and not a right and it's not a court of law. Giving you the benefit of a doubt and not thinking you're too stupid to see that. However, I do think you're stubborn enough to continue your agenda.

Yes I would be upset; but it is there right to do so. My position is “at will” employment, no guarantees. Lynch’s position on the team is at will, as well.

Top Bottom