How long will Coffey be out?

shaggith

Gopher Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pitino is "hopeful" for a return this season. I did a little search on the HAGL injury and found this, which doesn't sound great. I believe I read somewhere that Coffey would be trying to avoid surgery.

"Humeral avulsion of the glenohumeral ligament (HAGL) is a lesion that has been recognized as a cause of recurrent shoulder instability. To our knowledge there are no reports of successful return to full function in young, competitive athletes or return to manual labor following nonoperative management of a HAGL lesion. A 26-year-old Navy SEAL was diagnosed with a HAGL injury, and associated traction injury of the axillary nerve as well as a partial tear of the rotator cuff. Operative intervention was recommended; however, due to issues with training and with inability to properly rehab with the axillary nerve injury, surgical plans were delayed. Interestingly, the patient demonstrated both clinical and radiographic magnetic resonance imaging healing of his lesion over an 18-month period. At 18 months the patient had returned to full active duty without pain or instability as a Navy SEAL."

https://www.mdedge.com/amjorthopedi...ccessful-nonoperative-management-hagl-humeral

Also, is this condition really caused by a single 'bump' in the Illinois game the way Pitino described it? It seems more like something that crops up over time?

I'd bet he's done for the year. I have two friends who are physical therapists and both said that you can almost never come back from that injury without surgery. I'm sure they'll try non-surgical methods, but the odds aren't good that he's back this year.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have no idea of the credibility of this site, but if true it could be sign that the injury might only keep him out a couple of weeks rather than the season. My gut tells me he is done but who knows.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have no idea of the credibility of this site, but if true it could be sign that the injury might only keep him out a couple of weeks rather than the season. My gut tells me he is done but who knows.

Perhaps he has decided to just grit it out until he can go no more without surgery? It sounds like an injury like this won't go away without surgery- arthroscopic or otherwise. But maybe it's not debilitating at the moment?

In Pitino's presser this morning he stated he is out for tomorrows game

Wow, I like the toughness. Just hope this isn't the type of injury he can cause more significant damage to by toughing it out. By being upgraded to questionable for Wednesday, I guess he'd be probable Saturday most likely.

This. Wish people would read before posting.

Huh? I don't think anyone was implying he would back for the Northwestern game but rather discussing the possibility that he might try to grit it out in a week or so instead of getting season ending surgery. Wish people would read before posting...

Huh? I don't think anyone was implying he would back for the Northwestern game but rather discussing the possibility that he might try to grit it out in a week or so instead of getting season ending surgery. Wish people would read before posting...

The post after the comment about him being out mentioned he was upgraded to questionable. That post is untrue because if he was questionable, he wouldn't be ruled out.

Reminds me of the time back in the 80's when Brian Evans of IU played about half the season with an injured shoulder. He wore a brace/sling on the court the whole time and could barely lift his arm very high. It was his shooting arm, but he still managed to make outside shots. Pretty gutty performance.

The post after the comment about him being out mentioned he was upgraded to questionable. That post is untrue because if he was questionable, he wouldn't be ruled out.

There is only a 3 minute lag between posts. Sometimes people read a post, start a reply and then it takes a minute or so for whatever reason (interruptions, whatever). These are almost simultaneous

Hope he undergoes surgery quickly given it'll take 6-8 months to get back to full strength and hopefully not lose any ROM. Wait too long and unlikely to be able to use the summer to work on his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Initial thought was he would be out 2-3 weeks if physical therapy/rehab went well. If it doesn't help and he needs surgery it could be up to 6 months.

Hope he undergoes surgery quickly given it'll take 6-8 months to get back to full strength and hopefully not lose any ROM. Wait too long and unlikely to be able to use the summer to work on his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 2 weeks they should know what his chances of playing again are and/or whether there's anything worth coming back for. There's a real chance we lose the next 4 in which case he should just get the surgery regardless, IMO.

Top Bottom