Alabama-Georgia second-best overnight ratings since 2010

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Per Sports Media Watch:

It was an all-SEC affair, but College Football National Championship ratings neared an eight-year high in the metered markets nonetheless.

Monday’s Alabama-Georgia College Football Playoff National Championship had a 16.7 overnight rating across the ESPN family of networks, up 9% from last year (15.3) and up 4% from 2016 (16.0), both of which pit Alabama against Clemson. ESPN alone posted a 16.0.

Compared to the previous all-SEC national championship, Alabama-LSU in 2012, overnights jumped 21% from a 13.8.

The 16.7 overnight is the highest for the national championship since the first year of the playoff, Ohio State-Oregon in 2015 (18.9), and the second-highest since the game moved to ESPN in 2011.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/cfp-national-championship-ratings/

Looks like the doom and gloom predicted by some here didn't come to pass. Bad news for those of us hoping to avoid single-conference finals in the future as this didn't seem to impact the NCAA's pocketbook in the least.

I'll admit to being somewhat surprised by those numbers. Was a heck of a game so I suppose that didn't hurt

I was wrong. Makes me sad, as now the CFP committee won't hesitate doing it again.

I think two things helped:

1. Georgia got off to a solid start then got the lead so you kept all the people who wanted to see Alabama lose interested.
2. When the freshman QB came in for Alabama and the Tide started to shift (see what I did there?), the game got really interesting, and kept pretty much everyone who was watching interested.

I would have preferred to see two schools from different conferences, and regardless of the fact they won it, I'd still argue there should have been 4 different conferences represented, but it ended up being a heck of a game and just further cemented Saban as one of the greatest college coaches of all time.

Top Bottom