Here's the reality of the Gophers' current plight

Passing to Konate is always a turn over...Not Dupree's fault

Instead of arguing over the definition of high level, one could definitely argue that McB is a legitimate starter in the Big10...which on some nights means you have great nights and look like an all conference player, other nights you are a good complimentary starter. I think the biggest thing that should be debated right now is back to "the weave" and Coach Pitino! Can Pitino adjust to find an offense that suits this team best, and do it quickly! We still have two potential 1st Team players and McB is a good player as well (how good can be debated endlessly). Many teams have won games with 2 really good players and then role players around them, but coaches need to know how to adjust. "The weave" should be set aside (should've been this summer), and I agree that Mason, McB, and IW better start trying to find Hurt for open 3's. They very rarely look for him on punch-n-kick opportunities, this could be a new element to the team if they were to give it a chance...of course, Hurt would then need to be ready to shoot and take advantage of those opportunities!

Laugh all you want. The joke's on you.

Well, before you sneer too much, this may just be a matter of interpretation of the phrase "high level Big Ten player." If that phrase means that he is among the elite class of players in the conference, then I disagree. I'd say McBrayer is an average Big Ten starter. If that phrase means that he is a high level D1 player by virtue of being an average Big Ten starter, then I agree.

Instead of arguing over the definition of high level, one could definitely argue that McB is a legitimate starter in the Big10...which on some nights means you have great nights and look like an all conference player, other nights you are a good complimentary starter.

Exactly. People should try to choose their words more precisely. "A legitimate starter in the Big Ten" is by definition a badge of quality but that doesn't mean he's as good as Denzel Valentine.

This team is in a world of woe.
Our remaining centers present no offensive threat and no defensive presence to keep teams out of the paint and off the boards.
Our shooting guards and small forwards can't shoot.
We have an amazing player in Murphy who will be double and triple teamed with no consequence because the players he passes to cannot make shots with any consistency.
Mason is a very solid point guard, but he isn't an athletic wonder who can take over a game. (He won't be playing in the NBA.) When Mason tries to go one-on-one, this team suffers.
As a whole, this team fails to move without the ball. Back cuts and screens are seldom employed and instead we run a simple weave on ball. Minnesota becomes easy to guard.
While I like and support Coach Pitino, the present personale he has to work with is quite one dimensional and limited. I, sadly, suspect that we will not win more than 3 more games this season.
My hope is to see how much Harris and Washington improve and whether they improve their stroke. Both have good form and could be deadly if the game slows down for them and they trust their form.
This season is now an exhibition for next year's squad and that is really sad to say.

Passing to Konate is always a turn over...Not Dupree's fault

have you seen his brother play for west virginia...fluid, catches the ball,doesn't foul every play, athletic...just amazes me how there is such a difference in coordination....hopefully with more playing time he starts at least becoming serviceable

have you seen his brother play for west virginia...fluid, catches the ball,doesn't foul every play, athletic...just amazes me how there is such a difference in coordination....hopefully with more playing time he starts at least becoming serviceable

This just casts a bright light on the reality that ball skills (catch, dribble, shoot) and basketball smarts (intangible, but you can see it when they play) are so much more important than the “measurables” (How fast, strong, athletic). I would argue that Bakary is actually very “smooth” and athletic. He passes the eye test during warmups. But he has very poor ball skills and often seems lost on the court which would indicate low basketball smarts. I’ll take the smart player with good ball skills all day over the athletic guy that can’t catch or shoot. Of course, you want both at this level, and most players you recruit should have both to some minimal level.
My point is: Don’t recruit guys with poor ball skills and minimal basketball smarts. Just being an athletic specimen doesn’t cut it at this level. I suppose one might argue that at the center and traditional power forward spots one can afford to carry players with poor ball skills. That is only true if those players are dominant rebounders and defenders. Sadly, Bakary is neither.

Last comment: Bakary seems like a great guy and deserves our support on the court. It is not his fault that we recruited him here. He is giving his 100% and appears to represent the school well. Let’s hope he figures a few things out the rest of the year. I want to cheer for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the original poster with Mason, Murphy, Mcbrayer, you still have 3 very good Big Ten players. Add Coffee if he comes back, that's 4. Obviously they will struggle some because beyond that, they have little else to work with.

That said, 4 good ballers and a pile of effort will win you some games. The problem with this team, actually all year has been defense and effort. Both have been lacking. That needs to change both now and going forward if they ever want to have a chance.

I agree with the original poster with Mason, Murphy, Mcbrayer, you still have 3 very good Big Ten players. Add Coffee if he comes back, that's 4. Obviously they will struggle some because beyond that, they have little else to work with.

That said, 4 good ballers and a pile of effort will win you some games. The problem with this team, actually all year has been defense and effort. Both have been lacking. That needs to change both now and going forward if they ever want to have a chance.

Regarding what previously existed as the team I was hoping would land in the NCAA's, yes I agree, they didn't play hard enough on defense, and the effort can absolutely be called into question. Everyone besides Murphy of course.

I would like to see more movement away from the ball on offense. At present we run a weave up top, but that doesn't really account for any off ball cutting or screening. We simply become easy to guard as the other squad watches us attempt a Globe Trotters routine.
I am hoping that Pitino moves away from the weave and opens movement to get both Murphy and Mason opportunities to catch and shoot.

Stop the presses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I actually agree w/ you for:clap: the first time.:clap:

Minor point, but why is it that after roughly 5 years of recruiting him and now watching him play, some of you still can't spell Coffey correctly?

I think the OP is right in implying, on paper, the season shouldn't be over and we still should be able to beat a fair number of B1G teams, but I think the biggest problem right now is that the team feels beaten down emotionally. If you don't think all the press and local hysteria surrounding the Reggie Lynch situation, etc., and the feel of "here we go again," has an effect on the team, you're crazy. Somehow the team needs to circle the wagons, and start having fun again.

Give Hurt, Washington and Harris some time and experience, and they just might turn out to be very serviceable B1G conf players. Granted Murphy, Mason and McBrayer would have to remain healthy, and Konate and Gaston may have to play some of their best bb, but even before Coffey comes back, I can imagine scenarios where we win games. Not all of them, and not most of them. But if we can simply win enough, and hold out until Coffey comes back, we could end up being an NCAA tourney type team? Might not make it, might only make the NIT, but any post season action, in light of all of these injuries and the suspension, would be an accomplishment.

Minor point, but why is it that after roughly 5 years of recruiting him and now watching him play, some of you still can't spell Coffey correctly?

I think the OP is right in implying, on paper, the season shouldn't be over and we still should be able to beat a fair number of B1G teams, but I think the biggest problem right now is that the team feels beaten down emotionally. If you don't think all the press and local hysteria surrounding the Reggie Lynch situation, etc., and the feel of "here we go again," has an effect on the team, you're crazy. Somehow the team needs to circle the wagons, and start having fun again.

The bigger question is? Why do you care? You got my point whether it was spelled wrong or not.

I agree this season looks like its heading straight down the toilet. I will be honest though, even with those 2 kids, this team was playing poor basketball and not defending anyone. At some point, someone has to step up and say enough is enough. Last season it was the Springs kid. It would be nice if our coach would show some toughness and demand it from his players. There shouldn't have to be a senior every year that keeps the team in line and makes them give full effort on both sides of the ball.

Top Bottom