Here's the reality of the Gophers' current plight

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Their current rotation has 3 really talented, high-level Big Ten players (Murphy, Mason, McBrayer) surrounded by guys who either aren't ready to or have no business playing more than 8-10 minutes per game vs. Big Ten competition. And now those other guys (the non-M's) must play extended minutes? That's a really tough gig.

That said, am curious to see what Pitino musters up with no Lynch and Coffey. The Gophers can still win quite a few games (it's a crappy Big Ten this year), but it won't be easy. I offer Notre Dame in the ACC as an example. The Fighting Irish are 2-0 since preseason All-American Bonzie Colson was sidelined by a broken foot, including going into the Carrier Dome without Colson (21.4 ppg) or 2nd leading scorer Matt Farrell (15.9 ppg) and beating Syracuse. And the Irish weren't exactly lighting it up (losses to Ball State & Indiana) prior to that point.

Hoping he can figure something out SS. He's been put in a tough spot but I will hold out faith we can still be successful!

Mcbrayer was responsible for two of the most boneheaded turnovers against Indiana. Gonna have to be better than that if we are going to call him a high level big ten player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcbrayer was responsible for two of the most boneheaded turnovers against Indiana. Gonna have to be better than that if we are going to call him a high level big ten player.

He's been a high-level Big Ten player for quite some time. High-level players make boneheaded plays, including missing crucial free throws (all 3 of our studs did) and jacking up terrible shots (see our last possession down 3). McBrayer one of those guys Gopher fans are never going to be happy with, despite all the good things he does. Remember when folks were clamoring for Jelly to start over McBrayer? Good times.

Lots of good coaches and I think Mason and, especially Murphy, are going to feel they've got two guys guarding them--probably because there are. Going to be especially interested watching Jordan. Pitino has to have sets where Bakary and Gaston aren't cluttering it up where Murphy is most effective.

But thanks for the very faint ray of hope.

Yes he made a mistake there but McBrayer played a terrific game. Murphy and Mason make boneheaded mistakes as well. All great players do. How did you feel about Murphy's shot with 13 seconds to go? Is he disqualified from being called a high level Big Ten player for that one?

I see that SS beat me to this. At any rate, I think that the players that can grow and help Pitino the most at this point are Washington and Fitzgerald. They both have Big Ten ability- they need game time. Putting them on the floor relieves pressure on Murphy, Mason and McBrayer.

missed free throws in the clutch - missing the front end of and 1 and 1 should be counted as a turnover

Calling McBrayer a high level B1G player is laughable.

Hurt could help also if Mason and McBrayer would stop playing keep away with him and give him the ball when he has open looks. Hurt was a shooter in high school and could be again if given a chance.

Hurt could help also if Mason and McBrayer would stop playing keep away with him and give him the ball when he has open looks. Hurt was a shooter in high school and could be again if given a chance.

Hurt just needs some confidence. He's taken it to the hoop successfully. He's made 3's. But he generally refuses to do either.

I would like to see more movement away from the ball on offense. At present we run a weave up top, but that doesn't really account for any off ball cutting or screening. We simply become easy to guard as the other squad watches us attempt a Globe Trotters routine.
I am hoping that Pitino moves away from the weave and opens movement to get both Murphy and Mason opportunities to catch and shoot.

I guess it depends what you guys mean by "high level". (And I think part of the disagreement may stem from putting him in the same group as Mason and Murphy. No one would argue that those two aren't studs.) He's certainly a solid B1G player, but I've posted before about his stats against good teams vs his stats against bad teams. Dupree's numbers vs good teams are pretty mediocre, especially his shooting percentages.

This board is toxic in times of adversity. Glad I don’t know some of you guys.

Calling McBrayer a high level B1G player is laughable.

He stopped his drive into the lane and chucked it to an unprepared and out of position center that rarely plays at all. High level players don't do that at all.

Yes he made a mistake there but McBrayer played a terrific game. Murphy and Mason make boneheaded mistakes as well. All great players do. How did you feel about Murphy's shot with 13 seconds to go? Is he disqualified from being called a high level Big Ten player for that one?

I see that SS beat me to this. At any rate, I think that the players that can grow and help Pitino the most at this point are Washington and Fitzgerald. They both have Big Ten ability- they need game time. Putting them on the floor relieves pressure on Murphy, Mason and McBrayer.

He had one of his worst games as a gopher. He is capable of playing better. Maybe he had an off game at an inopportune time but it gives me pause to call him high level after seeing those mistakes.

He stopped his drive into the lane and chucked it to an unprepared and out of position center that rarely plays at all. High level players don't do that at all.

I propose that people debating the subjective use of "high level" take a long hard look in the mirror and ask, "is this really what I want to be doing with my life?"

For the record, Dupree is a good player that has been a contributor in many important victories.

I would say this - Mc Brayer is a good complimentary player - but I don't see him as a primary option or a guy who can carry a team. He's at his best when he can work off other people and get open looks when other players are being double-teamed.

A good player - the type of player every team needs - but not an Alpha Dog type of player. He's also the type of player who needs to stay within himself. If he tries to do too much, that's when he gets in trouble.

I would say this - Mc Brayer is a good complimentary player - but I don't see him as a primary option or a guy who can carry a team. He's at his best when he can work off other people and get open looks when other players are being double-teamed.

A good player - the type of player every team needs - but not an Alpha Dog type of player. He's also the type of player who needs to stay within himself. If he tries to do too much, that's when he gets in trouble.

Agree 100%.

You must think there are no current Gophers that are high level B1G players. I seen plenty of dumb plays made against IU including dumb plays made by Mason and Murphy.

Dupree had
18 points
1 assist
1 Turn over
7/13 shooting
3/7 from 3 land
37 minutes
and his defense was very good on Saturday

I would say that is High Level B10 player.

Murphy had
18points
1 assist
4 turn overs
5/14 shooting
1/3 from 3 land
and didn't play the greatest defense on Saturday

I guess that makes him a below average B10 Player

just saying

NOT

I propose that people debating the subjective use of "high level" take a long hard look in the mirror and ask, "is this really what I want to be doing with my life?"

For the record, Dupree is a good player that has been a contributor in many important victories.

Dohkay. I guess I'll take my discussion of gopher sports and players to some other message board that is geared to those things since it is completely off topic to discuss things related to gopher players here.

Dohkay. I guess I'll take my discussion of gopher sports and players to some other message board that is geared to those things since it is completely off topic to discuss things related to gopher players here.

The conversation was less about Dupree and his merits, and more about semantics, hence my comment.

Murphy had
18points
1 assist
4 turn overs
5/14 shooting
1/3 from 3 land
and didn't play the greatest defense on Saturday

I guess that makes him a below average B10 Player

just saying

NOT

C'mon. What do the stats from the previous game look like? How about from the season as a whole?

McBrayer is an OK player. By no means is he a "high-level" B1G player. Unless you consider any starting player in the B1G a high-level B1G player.

He had one of his worst games as a gopher. He is capable of playing better. Maybe he had an off game at an inopportune time but it gives me pause to call him high level after seeing those mistakes.

Are we talking about McBrayer in the Indiana game? If so- he was 7-13 for 18 points with 2 steals, 1 block and 1 turnover. If that is one of his worst games then we are looking at an All American here. :)

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were thinking of a different player or a different game because you said he had two boneheaded turnovers and he only has one turnover credited to him for the game.

I think it is not the right time to be evaluating Mcbrayer yet...he has been been dealing with an injury that has not allowed him to develop any rythm or flow with his game. More importantly, he has not had an opportunity yet to gel and build chemistry with teamates.

He will continue to get back into a rythmm and find his place in the rotation. He still has plenty of time to improve his game this year and if he can play like he did against Indiana for the rest of the year(imo is fairly realistic)...he will be viewed as a high level B10 player.

Are we talking about McBrayer in the Indiana game? If so- he was 7-13 for 18 points with 2 steals, 1 block and 1 turnover. If that is one of his worst games then we are looking at an All American here. :)

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were thinking of a different player or a different game because you said he had two boneheaded turnovers and he only has one turnover credited to him for the game.

He caused at least two others. Credited to other players he passed the ball to but it is on him. He put them in a terrible position and caused the turnover. Those aren't recorded in his stat line. I watched the whole game and he is capable of and has in the past of playing much better than that and should be expected to at this point in his career.

Top Bottom