B1G Game 5: Gophers visit Penn State (1-10-18)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Thus far, Penn State’s (1-3) two best efforts came in two home losses; 69-65 to Maryland (4-0) and, last Saturday, 70-65 to Rutgers (4-0). Versus Rutgers, the Lady Lions trailed 28-26 at the half and then faded away in the third quarter allowing the Scarlet Knights a 50-37 lead starting the fourth. However, PSU rallied. With :30 seconds remaining a Siyah Frazier steal and layup pulled the Lady Lions within 64-63. Upping the pressure, Amari Carter swiped the ball following the Rutgers inbound; BUT missed the go ahead layup. A couple of Taylor Scaife free throws and a five second call on a Penn State inbound play finished off another frustrating Lady Lion loss. Amari Carter scored 18 points with 4 steals. Teniya Page led PSU with 24 points.

The Maryland loss was a back and fourth affair with the Lady Lions, following an Amari Carter jumper, taking a 65-63 lead with 3:09 remaining. The Terps immediately tying the score. Later, after a bit of a scoring drought, Maryland connected on two foul shots for the lead with :59 seconds remaining. Taniya Page missed a tying jumper and the Terps made a layup to finish the win 69-65.

Notable losses: @ St. Bonaventure 65-62 and @ American 75-66 in OT.

B1G Win: Indiana 77-74

B1G Losses: @ Michigan 69-89, Maryland 65-69, @ Rutgers 65-70.

Last Season: Minnesota dropped a regular season match-up in Happy Valley 77-66. The game was tied 39 all at the half but cold Gopher shooting let Penn State slip away. Taiye Bello and Kiki Bell each scored 19. Wagner had an off night with 6. For PSU Amari Carter posted 9 points with 7 assists and Teniya Page scored 25.

In the B1G tournament, Minnesota emerged with a 70-64 win. It was 33-29 Gophers at the half. Penn State closed to 61-59 with about 2:30 remaining before Minnesota pulled away for the win. Wagner contributed 26 points and 10 rebounds.

B1G Leading Scorers (Four Games):

5. Kenisha Bell 21.5
7. Amari Carter 18.8
9. Destiny Pitts 17.3
11. Teniya Page 15.5

Random Note: Since finishing 13-3 and clinching their third consecutive B1G conference title in the 2013-14 season Coquese Washington’s Lady Lions have gone 3-15, 6-12 and 9-7.

Starters (scoring averages are for B1G games) and what the hell happened to teams providing B1G only stats???? They’re the only ones I care about this time of year:

5’8” G So. Amari Carter 18.75 points
5’7” G Jr Teniya Page 15.5 points
6’2” G Sr Jaida Travascio-Green 13.25 points
6’3” F Jr Jaylen Williams
6’2” F So De’Janae Boykin

Others:
5’9” G So Siyah Frazier

Am I the only one who thought the Gophers looked different in the last game against Michigan St? Great energy, crisp passing, good ball movement, energy on defense. Everything seemed suddenly improved except maybe the free throw shooting. I wonder why? Did they call in the cavalry?

lwhalencav.jpg

I, for one, am not going to doubt Lindsay Whalen if she's saying they look good.

gopherpractice.jpg

Even Banham showed up. I'd rather see her donning some Lynx gear though.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers opened on a 8-0 run and have held the lead throughout. 25-19 end of 1 including a 4 point play by Pitts and forcing the Lions into a 5 second call. FernSTORM as the announcer says got the start and Edwards picked up 2 quick fouls. Bell is scoreless.

25-19 end of Q1

Hubbard with 8 pts, Pitts 7 pts

48-31 MIN at the half

Wagner 15 pts (6-9, 3-4 3P), 3 reb, 2 ast, 0 to
Pitts 13 pts (5-5, 2-2 3P, 1-1 FT), 6 reb,m 2 ast, 0 to

Wagner and Pitts with solid performances in the first half, 28 points combined. Hubbard also solid and the three Gopher posts are contributing. Bell with a sub-par first half. On another note, #21 ranked Rutgers, the Gophers next opponent, with a whopping 4 points total in first quarter tonight at Purdue.

Hubbard had a dumb turnover before the half leading to the PSU buzzer beater or this could be a 19 point lead. This is the best I've seen Wagner play all season (I missed the Georgetown game :cool:).

Hmm. Kaposi originally credited with the tip-in by both GT and the announcing team, but the points have been taken away and given to Edwards on Game Tracker.

91-71 MIN final

Superhero Carlie Wagner 23 pts (9-13, 5-6 3P), 7 reb, 4 ast, 2 to, 1 blk
Pitts 16 pts (6-10, 3-6 3P, 1-1 FT), 9 reb, 3 ast, 0 to

With those kinds of performances, I guess you can afford 12 turnovers between Bell and Hubbard

Two B1G road games and two dominant wins. The posts, Fernstrom, Bello and Edwards combined for 22 points, 14 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 turnover. Wagner and Pitts really set the tone-not only with scoring but with tough inside rebounding. Yes it was Wagner's best game of the season. Penn State as with Michigan State had difficulty matching up when they played man D. It was fun to watch.

The Gophers were 10-17 from three (58.8%). Bell had 5 assists and 6 turnovers including an odd one on a half break which went off an unsuspecting Edward's head or back.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded)

38 Hubbard
36 Wagner
33 Pitts (Terrific all around game tonight-I think teams are surprised by her strength)
29 Bell
15 FernSTORM
15 Brunson
12 Taiye Bello (Played a solid, active inside game)
12 Edwards
7 Kaposi
3 Garrido-Perez

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Second nifty surprise put back for Edwards in the last two games.

More Notes
- Minnesota has won five of six meetings against Penn State under Coach Stollings.
- With 23 points, Carlie Wagner recorded her 100th career game reaching double figures. She leads the team with 17 such games this season.
- The team's 48 points in the first half were its most during Big Ten play this year and its highest total in the last six games.
- Jessie Edwards' five field goals were a season high, while her 10 points tied a personal best for the year.
- Palma Kaposi set career highs in both points (6) and field goals made (3).

It was a nifty put back and I know it doesn't matter at this point but that was a put back by Kaposi. If you stop the recording at the time of the put back you can see it was clearly Kaposi. Edwards hand was about a foot away from the ball. The only reason I bring it up is I think Kaposi could use any help to get her more confidence and getting credit for a nice hustle play like this can only help.

It was a nifty put back and I know it doesn't matter at this point but that was a put back by Kaposi. If you stop the recording at the time of the put back you can see it was clearly Kaposi. Edwards hand was about a foot away from the ball. The only reason I bring it up is I think Kaposi could use any help to get her more confidence and getting credit for a nice hustle play like this can only help.

Yep, it was Kaposi. Even the reactions as they headed up court suggest Kaposi.

Top Bottom