Adjusted Expectations = Still Fun

bfast

Reaction score
I think 2017-18 Minnesota 1.0 found its level after the Miami/Nebraska/Arkansas stretch. In reality, very similar to last year's team. Could beat good teams and win on the road (Providence, Alabama, and I'm sure plenty of big wins in the rest of B1G play) while also dropping some lousy ones (Nebraska, Arkansas and probably a few more to lesser B1G teams).

Bottom line: this wasn't a final four team and it likely would have needed some breaks to even make it to the second weekend of NCAAs.

Big teams have NBA talent. We have little. *Maybe* Murphy as a 2nd rounder - that's it. We don't have a Bobby Jackson or even a Sam Jacobsen. Teams like Miami showed us that there's a gulf in class between MN and the top 10. Even when we threw our punch and took the lead, they rose above and pulled away like pros.

I don't really care that much that we won't be a 5-7 seed lock versus a team scrapping to get into the NCAAs. We are going through some adversity and I want to pull for these kids more than ever. If looking for NCAA success, maybe we'll run into some good fortune and punch above our weight like Michigan did last year. This team still has a strong triple punch (Murphy, Coffey, Mason) and we are a threat to beat any superior team in the B1G on our night. Barring losing any more key pieces for a long period - there is no excuse for this team to not be .500 or better in conference. That puts it right in the mix for an NCAA berth.

Stay optimistic, root for the "M" and for the kids working hard to remain.

I think we found our level after the Miami/Nebraska/Arkansas stretch. In reality, we were very similar to last year's team. Can beat good teams and win on the road (Providence, Alabama, and I'm sure plenty of big wins in the rest of B1G play) while also dropping some lousy ones (Nebraska, Arkansas and probably a few more to lesser B1G teams).

Bottom line: this wasn't a final four team and likely would have needed some breaks to even make it to the second weekend of NCAAs.

Big teams have NBA draft picks. We don't have any. *Maybe* Murphy as a 2nd rounder, that's it. We don't have a Bobby Jackson or even a Sam Jacobsen. Teams like Miami showed us that there is a gulf in class. Even when we threw our punch, they rose above and pulled away like pros.

I don't really care that much that we won't be a 5-6 lock versus a team scrapping to get into the NCAAs. We are going through some adversity and I want to pull for these kids more than ever. If looking for NCAA success, maybe we'll run into some good fortune and punch above our weight like Michigan did last year. This team still has a strong triple punch (Murphy, Coffey, Mason) and we are a threat to beat any superior team in the B1G.

Stay optimistic. Root for the "M" and for the kids that remain!

Agree with everything if we get Coffey back quickly. If not, we probably have little chance to dance. However, I completely agree that whomever remains on the floor deserves our 100% fan support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And we are going to be forced to play Washington, Harris & Hurt more, so we will find out if they will improve enough to help us next year. I have not thrown the towel in, I will still enjoy the games, but my expectations have definitely changed. As a long time Gopher fan this is just another bump in the road... As far this team being a Final 4 team, I agree with bfast, it wasn't going to happen this year anyway. Enjoy the games and support the Gophers!

Agree with everything if we get Coffey back quickly. If not, we probably have little chance to dance. However, I completely agree that whomever remains on the floor deserves our 100% fan support.

If there is one thing our fan base has more practice of than most fan bases, it's rallying around the players who "remain on the floor" after scandal, injury bug, etc. We've had plenty of practice at this and we never let the remaining boys down.

Go Gophers!!

If there is one thing our fan base has more practice of than most fan bases, it's rallying around the players who "remain on the floor" after scandal, injury bug, etc. We've had plenty of practice at this and we never let the remaining boys down.

Go Gophers!!
indeed, and there is still a lot of athleticism remaining. Another bright spot is that a couple of freshmen are going to get a lot more minutes the rest of the way.

I think 2017-18 Minnesota 1.0 found its level after the Miami/Nebraska/Arkansas stretch. In reality, very similar to last year's team. Could beat good teams and win on the road (Providence, Alabama, and I'm sure plenty of big wins in the rest of B1G play) while also dropping some lousy ones (Nebraska, Arkansas and probably a few more to lesser B1G teams).

Bottom line: this wasn't a final four team and it likely would have needed some breaks to even make it to the second weekend of NCAAs.

Big teams have NBA talent. We have little. *Maybe* Murphy as a 2nd rounder - that's it. We don't have a Bobby Jackson or even a Sam Jacobsen. Teams like Miami showed us that there's a gulf in class between MN and the top 10. Even when we threw our punch and took the lead, they rose above and pulled away like pros.

I don't really care that much that we won't be a 5-7 seed lock versus a team scrapping to get into the NCAAs. We are going through some adversity and I want to pull for these kids more than ever. If looking for NCAA success, maybe we'll run into some good fortune and punch above our weight like Michigan did last year. This team still has a strong triple punch (Murphy, Coffey, Mason) and we are a threat to beat any superior team in the B1G on our night. Barring losing any more key pieces for a long period - there is no excuse for this team to not be .500 or better in conference. That puts it right in the mix for an NCAA berth.

Losing by 5 to a top-10 team (At the time) without McBrayer and Curry was a huge win in my opinion. With a healthy Curry and avoiding any of the perennial loss of player events, I think this team had the talent to get to the Final Four.

Yeah it sucks once again we have to adjust due to injuries and suspensions

But as always, I'm on board and enjoying the ride, just waiting for payoff

I believe Pitino is the guy for MN, regardless how this season finishes. I love our class coming in, we have a scholarship left, would love to get JUCO or Grad transfer for next year

Yes agree completely and I will enjoy seeing if the players that now are getting playing time start to gel. It will be good for the future.

No reason to not try and enjoy what's left of the season. Team will still win some games. IMO a NCAA bid isn't happening but still an opportunity to get to 7-9 conference wins and a NIT bid.

No reason to not try and enjoy what's left of the season. Team will still win some games. IMO a NCAA bid isn't happening but still an opportunity to get to 7-9 conference wins and a NIT bid.

IF coffey can play, I don't believe NCAA tourney is out of question. I'm skeptical Coffey can play this year though

Yeah, I think Coffey is done. I agree with the sentiment of this thread though. I'm a Gopher fan regardless of how good or bad they are.

Call me crazy, but I've always thought that next year was the better team, even before the Reggie situation and Coffey injury

Yeah, I think Coffey is done. I agree with the sentiment of this thread though. I'm a Gopher fan regardless of how good or bad they are.

Call me crazy, but I've always thought that next year was the better team, even before the Reggie situation and Coffey injury

I’m not in total disagreement because there are a lot of unknowns like Washington’s development, a grad transfer, and how much Oturu contributes right away, but I think this does downplay the impact that Mason and Lynch have had. Murphy will still be an All American and Coffey will improve, but beyond that I’m not certain about anything.

I think we’ll be 6 or 7 deep on reliable players again, but I don’t think Curry/Oturu/Stockman are as good as Lynch currently is and I’m not sold on Washington being efficient enough.

Washington/McBrayer/Coffey/Murphy/Curry are the guys I know I can count on, Washington being good enough to play but a huge question mark still. After that it’ll be a question of whether Oturu is ready or any of the other freshmen/a grad transfer can make the team 7 or 8 deep.

I’m not in total disagreement because there are a lot of unknowns like Washington’s development, a grad transfer, and how much Oturu contributes right away, but I think this does downplay the impact that Mason and Lynch have had. Murphy will still be an All American and Coffey will improve, but beyond that I’m not certain about anything.

I think we’ll be 6 or 7 deep on reliable players again, but I don’t think Curry/Oturu/Stockman are as good as Lynch currently is and I’m not sold on Washington being efficient enough.

Washington/McBrayer/Coffey/Murphy/Curry are the guys I know I can count on, Washington being good enough to play but a huge question mark still. After that it’ll be a question of whether Oturu is ready or any of the other freshmen/a grad transfer can make the team 7 or 8 deep.

Yes, it's very unlikely that any big man next year will have Lynch's impact on the game and it is also fairly unlikely that any guard will have Mason's impact. Nevertheless, we have the potential to have greater front court depth than we've had in years so at least there may be less drop off when we go to the bench.

I can't imagine that Pitino won't get a guard (preferably a grad transfer) as insurance for Washington (both because of injury potential and all around erratic play).

Yes, it's very unlikely that any big man next year will have Lynch's impact on the game and it is also fairly unlikely that any guard will have Mason's impact. Nevertheless, we have the potential to have greater front court depth than we've had in years so at least there may be less drop off when we go to the bench.

I can't imagine that Pitino won't get a guard (preferably a grad transfer) as insurance for Washington (both because of injury potential and all around erratic play).

My issue in today’s game (noted in the other thread) that we will not be as good of a defense without the gigantic anchor under the basket, even with better depth. And Mason shoots 40+% on 6 3s/game. Coffey/Murph/others will have to be A LOT more efficient to match all of that.

What is good about this though? Aren't you sick of losing? If this team doesn't make the dance this year it's a monster disappointment. Monster, as in huge. The Big Ten is weak. Bordering on terrible this season. This was the year to jump up there, yet this team likely finishes 6-7. That's not fun IMO.

I agree with this. Mason and Lynch are 2 HUGE parts of this team. Replacing them won't be easy. Reggie for the last couple years has made up for terrible perimeter defense and the fact that our guards continually get taken to the bucket. Mason is their biggest outside threat and probably also the best scorer on the team. Never mind the fact that he has done a nice job running the point for quite some time. Hopefully Murphy stays. If he leaves, next year won't be great IMO.

What is good about this though? Aren't you sick of losing? If this team doesn't make the dance this year it's a monster disappointment. Monster, as in huge. The Big Ten is weak. Bordering on terrible this season. This was the year to jump up there, yet this team likely finishes 6-7. That's not fun IMO.

Yes, huge disappointment, but the disaapointment is from injuries and suspension

I agree we could probably still get to 9-9 or 10-8 just because the conference is pretty weak, but it's precisely because it's so weak that that record might not be good enough for the tournament like it was in past years. 9, 10, and even 11 win Big Ten teams have missed the tournament before. It's happened many times in recent years in the SEC, where the conference will only get 3-4 teams into the tournament, which could happen with the Big Ten this year, and they'll have 2 or 3 teams with conference records of .500 or better miss the tournament. We didn't really have a bad non-conference loss, but Alabama and Providence don't really seem like big time wins either; decent but not incredible. Then we've already got two bad losses to Nebraska and at home against Indiana.

I was starting to get pretty excited about this season again after beating Illinois, but losing two starters in the blink of an eye has taken the wind out of my sails a bit. I'll still watch the games and hope that the Indiana game was a matter of trying to rapidly adjust to two major personnel losses, and that getting into nail-biters against bottom half teams in a weak conference at home is not just the new normal for this season.

Here's the wild card with this team: Unless there are more injuries, every game we play is going to feature two all conference players, playing for the Gophers in Mason and Murphy. So that alone makes us competitive in most any game excepting Purdue and MSU. This is still a good (not great anymore) team, especially once we get Coffey back. Obviously very weak on the bench.

Who will emerge from the rubble of this year's basketball program collapse?
Which players will rise to new levels of play and which ones will remain under the rubble?
If I am a former bench warmer, I look at this as an opportunity to step up and shine. Who is going to do that on this year's squad?

What is good about this though? Aren't you sick of losing?

Nobody said there was anything "good" about the situation. Look, this was bad luck that may have been somewhat ameliorated if Gilbert's transfer scholarship wasn't wasted this season. It is what it is. If you are a fan who wants to follow the team you adjust your expectations, keep watching, and hope for the best. And quite possibly "the best" at this point is the NIT.

The season’s outlook has changed. Still a lot to play for so why not to enjoy it regardless how it ends up.

Would be a whole lot more disappointing if they had a complete roster and didn’t get a NCAA bid.

Regardless of what happens record and injury wise...does the team look like it’s getting better as the year goes by. Guys that are coming back next year in particular.

I refuse to believe Lynch meant THAT much to this team.

Even with Coffey out til Feb, no excuse for this team to not be around .500 in conference.

It was hard to call tonight's effort a team effort. We had individual players on the court, but no team.

I love talent, but man, I wish we valued team play and player IQ more. Wisconsin is going to have a better year than us AGAIN - and this was "our" year and their rebuilding year.

This season now rests on:
1. Guard shooting percentages surpassing 60% every game.
2. Murphy not fouling out in anymore games.
3. Free throw percentages exceeding 70% every game.

If these things can happen, then we have a shot at making the field of 64.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's quite a list. The guards have to shoot 60% every game? I don't think there has been a team in college basketball history where the guards have shot 60% every game....

We’re cooked!:(

Top Bottom