Adjusted Expectations = Still Fun

This season now rests on:
1. Guard shooting percentages surpassing 60% every game.
2. Murphy not fouling out in anymore games.
3. Free throw percentages exceeding 70% every game.

If these things can happen, then we have a shot at making the field of 64.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What happens if our guards shoot 59%?

Go Gophers!!

This season now rests on:
1. Guard shooting percentages surpassing 60% every game.
2. Murphy not fouling out in anymore games.
3. Free throw percentages exceeding 70% every game.

If these things can happen, then we have a shot at making the field of 64.

60% every game? When is the last time any back court in college basketball did that?

The NCAA's aren't happening.

Who will emerge from the rubble of this year's basketball program collapse?
Which players will rise to new levels of play and which ones will remain under the rubble?
If I am a former bench warmer, I look at this as an opportunity to step up and shine. Who is going to do that on this year's squad?

Unfortunately, I believe Washington is the only candidate to emerge. Who else are you thinking might? If it walks like a duck.... There's nobody else to emerge. The deficiencies are not magically going to go away.

If you think this can still be fun, you should be on a Direct TV commercial.

With everything that has gone down all I want is to beat the Wisconsin and Iowa, and not get blown out on a regular basis. Throw in some improvement from Washington/Harris too. And no more scandals if it isn't too much to ask. At this point the NCAA tournament isn't even on my radar.

Unfortunately, I believe Washington is the only candidate to emerge. Who else are you thinking might? If it walks like a duck.... There's nobody else to emerge. The deficiencies are not magically going to go away.

So glaringly true. There are still posters here that can’t see the reality of the situation. We were a six or seven-man team before Curry’s injury. Now we are down to three or four. The rest take up space, but won’t help us win games. It’s all about recruiting in college basketball, and unfortunately, we just don’t have enough Big10-worthy players.

Important addendum: What happened is not the fault of the remaining players. They really need our support now-not our bashing. Think of how they feel going from a top-20 team to one of the worst in the league. I feel really bad for them-especially Mason who had a chance for a dream season and now that hope is dashed. I’m still pulling for these guys and hope they can salvage a win or two the rest of the way. And, If Coffey can return, that would really change things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened is not the fault of the remaining players. They really need our support now-not our bashing. Think of how they feel going from a top-20 team to one of the worst in the league. I feel really bad for them-especially Mason who had a chance for a dream season and now that hope is dashed. I’m still pulling for these guys and hope they can salvage a win or two the rest of the way.

This.

The players have it rough, but it's time for them to step up and play as a team.

The coaching staff needs to do the same. Now is the time to do your job and show the players what they are capable of.

The players have it rough, but it's time for them to step up and play as a team.

The coaching staff needs to do the same. Now is the time to do your job and show the players what they are capable of.

And exactly what do you think Bakary Konate is capable of? Honestly, what is his ceiling? Last I checked we don't have any front court options more viable than BK. Because of this fact, our squad is capable of absolutely nothing. Last place finish guaranteed.

2019 on the other hand looks promising. Should have front court depth for the first time in forever. Oturu, Stockman, Murphy, Curry, Omersa.

And exactly what do you think Bakary Konate is capable of? Honestly, what is his ceiling? Last I checked we don't have any front court options more viable than BK. Because of this fact, our squad is capable of absolutely nothing. Last place finish guaranteed.

2019 on the other hand looks promising. Should have front court depth for the first time in forever. Oturu, Stockman, Murphy, Curry, Omersa.
Konate has to be capable of more. Why would we have recruited him, if there wasn't potential?

So glaringly true. There are still posters here that can’t see the reality of the situation. We were a six or seven-man team before Curry’s injury. Now we are down to three or four. The rest take up space, but won’t help us win games. It’s all about recruiting in college basketball, and unfortunately, we just don’t have enough Big10-worthy players.

Important addendum: What happened is not the fault of the remaining players. They really need our support now-not our bashing. Think of how they feel going from a top-20 team to one of the worst in the league. I feel really bad for them-especially Mason who had a chance for a dream season and now that hope is dashed. I’m still pulling for these guys and hope they can salvage a win or two the rest of the way. And, If Coffey can return, that would really change things.

Right, but they can still play defense and at least attempt to play hard. That game last night everyone on the floor was dogging it. You have play defense and this team didn't do that well before they lost those 2 guys. Have some damn heart please. Mason and Murphy should be enough to at least keep them in games against poor teams like Northwestern. Honestly, if they play like they did last night the rest of the season, I don't see another win o the schedule.

I’m bullish on the freshmen and agree there should be 3-4 reliable players, but will any of them touch the rim protection ability of Lynch next year? Oturu may down the line, but Lynch’s rim protection is what made this solid team a major contender.

Konate has to be capable of more. Why would we have recruited him, if there wasn't potential?

It's sad that my expectations of Konate are so low, but it is a true victory every time he secures a basketball with both hands on his first attempt.

I'm afraid any victories the rest of this season will be cause for celebration.

Which players will rise to new levels of play and which ones will remain under the rubble?
If I am a former bench warmer, I look at this as an opportunity to step up and shine. Who is going to do that on this year's squad?

+1

It's sad that my expectations of Konate are so low, but it is a true victory every time he secures a basketball with both hands on his first attempt.

It would be nice to see him elevate his game but right now I don't see it.

+1. Worst hands I have ever seen. His ceiling is a 6th man for a .500 D2 program. LOL

I’m bullish on the freshmen and agree there should be 3-4 reliable players, but will any of them touch the rim protection ability of Lynch next year? Oturu may down the line, but Lynch’s rim protection is what made this solid team a major contender.

I'm not saying that they'll perform to an all conference level, but the depth will allow for an actual rotation. I don't expect a top 2 finish next season, but I do expect to see actual basketball players on the floor at all times.

Regarding the op, I am not having fun watching this train wreck. Not even a competitive team at this point.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I haven't even been watching or listening.

My interest in this team went from 100 to zilch very quickly.

Regarding the op, I am not having fun watching this train wreck. Not even a competitive team at this point.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
It's mildly entertaining to guess how many points we will lose by.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

I'll go back to what I said in the game thread. We have Jordan Murphy, who gets double- and triple-teamed all the time, and we have a few guys who can shoot from outside and a couple guys who can handle the ball and get us into our offense. That's the makings of something. We can do inside-out and hope the 3's are dropping. Our guys can get open looks out of that offense. And yes, Brady Rudrud should get a chance to be out there.

Defensively we're a mess. A day or so before Lynch was suspended, Damian Johnson tweeted how reliant the defense was on him, the way he cleaned up defensive mistakes by the guards. We're seeing that now; it's the other extreme. Our backup centers are so incapable of defending, everyone has to help out, and the perimeter is left unguarded...and this is a team that had a hard time defending the perimeter before. I'm not sure how you do this, to tell the truth.

I'll go back to what I said in the game thread. We have Jordan Murphy, who gets double- and triple-teamed all the time, and we have a few guys who can shoot from outside and a couple guys who can handle the ball and get us into our offense. That's the makings of something. We can do inside-out and hope the 3's are dropping. Our guys can get open looks out of that offense. And yes, Brady Rudrud should get a chance to be out there.

Defensively we're a mess. A day or so before Lynch was suspended, Damian Johnson tweeted how reliant the defense was on him, the way he cleaned up defensive mistakes by the guards. We're seeing that now; it's the other extreme. Our backup centers are so incapable of defending, everyone has to help out, and the perimeter is left unguarded...and this is a team that had a hard time defending the perimeter before. I'm not sure how you do this, to tell the truth.
WE'RE DOOOOOOMMMMED!??

Top Bottom